How many adults have rabbits/guinea pigs etc as pets?

MrsElle

Visit site
OH and I were talking earlier and I was saying how much I love guinea pigs. I had them myself as a child and teenager, and my sons had them as children too. I would love a couple of little guineas in the house, but OH says that they are for children, and as we have none (well several, but all grown up :D), it would be just childish.

Prove him wrong! There must be adults with no children out there who have traditionally 'children's' pets :)

MrsElle

Visit site
I have only ever had two rabbits. One as a child which we inherited off someone, and one of my boys had a dwarf lop. My childhood rabbit was evil, it would growl at you and I still bear the scars from the bites it inflicted. Son's was nicer as we had it from a baby and it was well handled, but it just didn't have the personality of the piggies. Perhaps because the piggies talk a lot!

Do rabbits make good house pets?

GinaB

Visit site
Piggies do love a good natter! I kept them while I was younger.

Mine are outdoor bunnies, but I know a number of people who keep house buns. They're easy to litter train but the hay etc can be messy and of course you need to be careful of them nibbling wires.

My bunnies are two lops, one from a rescue centre that had been abandoned and the other from a pet shop. No-one wanted her as she is horribly skittish. I think she has issues with her sight as well as hearing.
I used to own a lionhead called Adrian. He was a legend, full of character but could be a real grumpus! He died last year :( I was devastated. I miss him so much.

Emilieu

Visit site
I had two lovely guineas until a few years ago. I miss them so much, would love another pair but don't have room anymore due to the newest cat! A friend of mine is 34 and has two bunnies who are adored and spoilt rotten. And my 37 year old mate has a hamster because its all her husband will allow. He is also spoilt rotten :) I think little pets owned by adults are so lucky!

Tormenta

Visit site
My daughter is 19 and has a house rabbit. She took him from a neighbour who wasn't caring for him at a few months old. He is very clean (toilet trained), very affectionate, playful and does the most endearing of things. When he sees her he runs to greet her and 'chats' with her. Sleeps with her if she naps. She adores him. One downside is that he can be very active during the night sometimes and can nibble on things like clothes and shoes left lying around, a lesson she has learned (He now has his own slipper and teddy he carries around) :)

Shrimpy

Visit site
I have two piggies that I got a couple of months ago. I had them as a kid and loved them. They're great to watch and really entertaining. I do have step children though and used them as an excuse to get the pigs :)

Mongoose11

Visit site
My MIL has two hamsters that live in very plush housing and come out in their little plastic balls for an hour each night at 8pm without fail. They are sweet and so is she but I find it weird....

MrsElle

Visit site
Hmmm, my case is getting stronger with all this evidence ;)

One of my concerns is the under floor heating though, it really does get hot, it might burn their little feet :( Any rabbit/guinea pig we got would have the run of the hallway when we were out, and the rest of the downstairs (open plan) when we were at home and could keep an eye out.

MrsElle

Visit site
My MIL has two hamsters that live in very plush housing and come out in their little plastic balls for an hour each night at 8pm without fail. They are sweet and so is she but I find it weird....

Not a lover of hamsters. Well that's not strictly true, they are quite sweet, and I love their little hands, but just don't see the point in keeping a nocturnal pet. Again, the boys had them when they were younger, and the boys never saw them, the hamsters always came out to play after they went to bed!

jj_87

Visit site
Me! I have two piglets!
My oh bought me AC and DC for my 25th birthday! They are such great pets and make me laugh so much!!

kiritiger

Visit site
Depends on what you mean by adult ;) . I am 21 and have 2 rabbits (although they live with my parents now that I am away at uni). It probably doesn't count since I've had them since I was young (the older rabbit is now 10.5 years old, I got him just before I turned 11 :eek: ). But I would definitely have rabbits again when I get my own place long term. I miss them so much when I'm gone.

My Nan has like 10 guinea pigs (one of which was mine but her friend (the guinea pig's friend, not my Nan's friend!) died so she now lives with my Nan for the company of her GPs).

So in conclusion, do it! :D :D

MinskiKaii

Visit site
We had Guinea pigs when were kids. Now I have one and my Mum came round and saw mine then got 2 herself!!!

I'd go for it!!

Shadow the Reindeer

Visit site
picture.php

I have 3 females and one male (not living with the females ;) )
I think they make great adult pets, better than kids tbh :)
picture.php

picture.php

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
MrsElle, I think I had Spawn of Satan rabbit also when I was a kid, she would charge across the hutch growling and bite and you had to have oven gloves on to pick her up. Really didn't suit the name Pudding!!

Also had one who you had to hurry away from quickly when you let him out in the morning as he would spray everywhere due to being un neutered.

Had a couple who would have made good house bunnies & I do miss all my rabbits and guineas but have cats now.

Things do need to be chew proof as one evening my dad tried to use the phone and it didn't work, he then investigated further before coming up the stairs with half the telephone cable in his hands as the rabbit had chewed through it! She also got part way through the fridge freezer and fish tank wires :eek:

With the exception of psycho rabbit they were mostly very affectionate :)

Emilieu

Visit site
Forgot - one of my friends met a man and it turned out that he owned gpigs. We thought it was the most endearing thing ever and I used to piggy sit when they went on holiday. RIP Elvis and Boaby x

Vodkagirly

Visit site
I am distinctly an adult, proud owner of 2 bunnies. One was too destructive to keep as a house rabbit so they now reside in the laundry room and just come in to watch tv....
Love them to bits. They are great fun with very strong personalities but not very demanding to look after. No need to walk them and they are happy wihout our company if we are busy.

Naughtynes

Visit site
Im 29 and have a hamster that lives in my bedroom to keep me company! she is very cute and always get up to see whats happening when I go in there! The downside is she often wakes me up bashing thing around in her cage but I dont really mind xx

holeymoley

Visit site
I have 5 rabbits.... Mostly rescues -including stumpy who I found wandering about our street with half a leg :confused: . Goofy- who was my first one I got from animal home , and then the other 3 were just friends of friends who knew people that had lost interest in them. They all stay outside though. Funny wee things!

laura_lor

Visit site
I've had four rabbits and two guinea pigs; they were all wonderful and very much loved but of the lot the guinea pigs were definitely the most friendly. My lads were very tame, it brought a tear to my eye when I came home from Uni for the first time, went into the garden and as I called their names they both charged over to the wire of the run and put their little paws up on it. The rabbit, meanwhile, sat there aloof and totally not bothered!

I'd have more furry friends now but am currently in student accommodation which means that, unfortunately, it isn't an option :/ OH has been warned, however, that I'm getting some just as soon as we have a 'proper' house!

Montyforever

Visit site
I have a house rabbit, he's a strange little fella! Answers to the name of sexy bun bun (my mums fault :rolleyes:) but he's absolutely adorable :) such a little character!
On my defence I did originally get him when I was 14 ..

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
We have three housr rabbits, well two of them go outside into pens in the day as they chew things ;) but the boy has the run of the house, is litter trained and has his 'safe' spots that the collies don't go to and he has a cat climbing frame thingy. He is in his cage from ten onto six am ish when we get up.

russianhorse

Visit site
I've had guinea pigs and rabbits up until at about 27 - all given to me at different times :D

Fab little things

My friend (35) has a house rabbit who sits on in the window sill watching the world go by, or getting up to all sorts of mischief

I now have ferrets (1 elderly lad living free in my house) with 2 cats and a dog so OH wont let have a wabbit :( - yet :D

You're never too old to have a wabbit or piglet :D - go for it

Persephone

Visit site
I have had rabbits all my life, only started with piggies about ten years ago and love them :)

At the moment I have two piggy brothers living together.

Oh and I have no children :)