How many adults have rabbits/guinea pigs etc as pets?

shadeofshyness

www.packthesuitcases.com
Me and my OH are getting rescue guinea pigs next year when we've settled into our new house :D Been waiting years to get more guinea pigs - I had them as a teenager but have been living in flats and houses with no garden/lawn for years and years. Finally bought a house with grass so can have piggies once more! They are adorable and not just for kids at all. Get some rescues please - there are so many needing a nice home :)

suestowford

Visit site
I am nearly 50 and have kept guinea pigs for some years now. They are great pets, really good fun and I like the way they chatter away to each other (and shriek at me whenever they hear the fridge door opening...).
I've kept rabbits also but I think I prefer the pigs.

OH loves them too!

fallenangel123

Visit site
My bunnies are my addiction, I have continental giants and mini lops which I show. So much easier than showing a horse although the prep is about the same time.
I started with the giants before I had the kids, then when they became interested I branched into the lops so they would be small enough for the kids to handle but they were not that into it, but they are soo gorgeous I have kept on with them for myself.
They all come into the house for playtime and probably take up more of my time than the neds, but there's nothing more relaxing than sitting watching tv with a big bunny.

BBH

Visit site
I'd love to have some smallies, a pygmy hedgehog, a tortoise and a big lop eared rabbit however I have dogs who will chase and wouldn't allow anything in the house so I won't take the risk.

StormyMoments

Visit site
I have 3 lady guinea pigs called terri and toni and timmi

guineas.jpg

I want a heard but im not allowed :( used to have 9 rabbits because I used to get all the old breeding bucks from my nan who bred rabbits and guinea pigs the oldest rabbit lived to 16 years old and the oldest guinea pig was 12years old but they all lived to at least 9 years old all together I had 23 rabbits and 29 guinea pigs but then my nan moved to spain and stopped breeding so now I just have the 3 ladies who are all 8 years old :)

I love my guineas :)

saz5083

Visit site
I have piggies :D I love them, they are great little characters. My OH wasnt as convinced when we go them at first (I had them as a kid and had a few years 'break' from ownership when I met the OH) but he now sits and chatters away to them when he thinks your not listening ;)

RunToEarth

Visit site
Have I just learnt something new - do bunnies live in houses?! :eek: Can you house train them? Do they smell? Do they have beds like dogs? I must have lived in a bubble, we had pigs and bunnies when I was younger but they always took residence in the tack room, and made a mess!

Tapir

Visit site
this is my Spikey pig who sadly died over the New Year:

spikey-1.jpg

I've had indoor guinea pigs for several years and am definitely an adult. I love their vocal-ness. I don't have any at the moment though as I was so upset when Spikey died. I haven't given my cage away yet though...

russianhorse

Visit site
Oooo Tapir - I had a guinea pig exactly like yours, but he was Percy

He was a miserable git though and had a pink ear that would flame red when he was angry lol :D

StormyMoments

Visit site
I'm thinking of getting some pigs. What sex would you say make the best pets? And any tips for a first time piggy owner?

they like to live in pairs or groups and males have a tendency to fight (not all the time but they do) so you are better off with females or a neutered male and a female :)

the more you handle them the more happy they are to be handled, they like a good scratch along their back they also like baths! they are fairly chatty when handling them especially when they like being handled and they relax and they kind of purr :eek: they need lots of vitamin c as they don't make it them selves so lots of greens etc

Last edited:

ex racer rider

Visit site
they like to live in pairs or groups and males have a tendency to fight (not all the time but they do) so you are better off with females or a neutered male and a female :)

the more you handle them the more happy they are to be handled, they like a good scratch along their back they also like baths! they are fairly chatty when handling them especially when they like being handled and they relax and they kind of purr :eek: they need lots of vitamin c as they don't make it them selves so lots of greens etc

Thank you :D

Echo24

Visit site
I do!! My boss thought it was very odd as she associated guinea pigs with children. My one is currently 7 years old and going grey! And he's become more demanding as the years have gone by - he squeaks like mad and demands to be fed!

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
:D i was in my late 40's when i got my first guinea pigs, ended up with 4 girls...i moved to a tiny cottage and after i lost the last one i decided i didnt really have enough room for a large cage indoors so sadly i am pigless....but if i ever move to a bigger place i will def be getting some piggies..they are great little characters ...mine used to watch the tv with me....one word of caution if you are going to leave them loose without supervision...they cheq everything, skirting board, wires, carpet...pretty much anything

MrsElle

Visit site
Thank goodness I am 'normal' in wanting a small furry at such an advanced age (45!).

I am still toying with the idea of a rabbit or two, but do love piggies. One of my old ones used to lay on my mums lap every evening, flat on her back with her legs in the air (the piggy, not my mother!), and have her tummy tickled doing that little happy noise that piggies make :)

Hmmm, I think it may well be piggies after all. Now to sweet talk OH........ :D

DizzyDoughnut

Visit site
I've been think of this lately, finally getting my own flat so can have a small furry but haven't been able to decide what kind. I've had guinea pigs before and while they were cute and squeaky they were always a bit skittish are they all like this?

And those of you with ferrets in the house, do they make the house smell? and same for rabbits I was talking to my farrier about my small furry pet plans and he reckons that rabbits will smell too?

Rachaelpink

Visit site
I had guineas from the age of 5 up to end of 2011 when my last one died of old age (his friend had died 6 months earlier). I then decided to get a pgymy hedgehog from a rescue. Partly because my last guineapig was my baby and such a character and I would compare another guinea to him and partly because my partner is allergic to guinea pigs whereas hedgehogs have very little hair so no allergies. I'm 28. I do miss guinea pigs.

DizzyDoughnut- my last guinea pig wasn't skittish. He thought he was a cat/ dog though. He knew the downstairs layout of the house/ garden and could open doors with his nose. He was super confident!

Last edited:

ilvpippa

Visit site
I have a bunny & I'm 22. He's a little shy & temperamental; I rescued him from a house where he was being attacked by another rabbit. I did have a hamster too, but won't have another one as he did in my hands & I was hysterically upset as he was lovely! my O/H doesn't like in house pets; so I intend to keep the rabbit if he's still with me or get two guinne

ilvpippa

Visit site
I have a bunny & I'm 22. He's a little shy & temperamental; I rescued him from a house where he was being attacked by another rabbit. I did have a hamster too, but won't have another one as he did in my hands & I was hysterically upset as he was lovely! my O/H doesn't like in house pets; so I intend to keep the rabbit if he's still with me or get two Piggys!

MissSBird

Visit site
I lost my bunny I had from my childhood a few weeks ago, so technically I had one at 24 (she was 12 years old when she went!!).

I really miss her. I'm not allowing myself to get another one because in 3/4 years time I will be moving and can't garuntee finding a flat which would allow me to keep pets.

It's hard though :(

FigJam

teamhopalong.blogspot.com
We have a house rabbit Dougie. He is fab, 18 months old now and a proper wee character. He likes to sit up on the window sill and watch the world go by (and it's a favoured place just for snoozing too);
DougieWindow_zpsf6e5cc2c.jpg

Although sometimes you need a good flop out to properly snooze... ;)
DougheSnoozing_zps9522d6b5.jpg

He is very good at using his litter tray and has the rugged area you can see in the above photo (plus windowsill!) to himself when we're out/in bed (a bit of puppy fencing goes across to keep him in) and then free run of the living room and hallway when we're in. He does funny little mad runs back and forward with jumps randomly and will come to call (when he wants to!) for treats, doing a good power slide along the leather sofa when he launches onto it at full pelt. :D

Will let us cuddle and stroke him and hates getting his claws clipped. He does love to nibble the bottom of the curtains but they're cheap and too long anyway, so not the end of the world. All wires HAVE to be out of reach as they're a particular delicacy! :mad:

He does a funny little run and head tossing when it's dinner time and I'm currently working on Mr FigJam to allow him a wee girlfriend (he's neutered!)... ;)
DougieBed_zps76937632.jpg

We did have two piggies Ernie and Fozzie but recently lost Ernie. :'( Fozzie seems ok on his own for now and can chat to Dougie through his cage. Below is the two of them when Fozzie was just a baby. :)
IMG00042-20110108-1719.jpg

nemlin

Visit site
I got two bunnies last year at the grand age of 26 - sadly they are not house bunnies as I'm worried they'd attack my rather 'delicate' cat but they live the life of luxury. Have always wanted rabbits and although they are opinionated, stroppy and full of naughtiness I think they are ace pets :).

catxx

Visit site
I have two rabbits, no kids! My husband was worried they would be really boring as he'd never had them, but he's as smitten with my two as I am!

Haven't let my 2 yr old nephew meet them yet, worried they'll hurt each other.