How Many Classes Do You Do?

3Beasties

Visit site
As title really, when you compete how many classes do you do a day?

The last couple of comps I've gone too I have done 3 classes which I felt my mare (6 year old) managed find. They are single phase so no jump off to worry about. Do you think that sounds reasonable or is it too much?

At the moment we are only jumping small (up to 2'6") so does the size of the course make a difference to how many rounds you would do?

dianchi

Visit site
I go out with my old loony tunes ginger pony (19 going on 4)

I go with the aim of two classes normally 85 & 95 regardless of class type.

MileAMinute

Visit site
The most I've done is a CR and a single phase course and that was my last comp.

Most I'm jumping atm is 50-60cm as my guy is young so nice and small, so I tend to either do a CR or enter a round.

Last edited:

pipsqueek

Visit site
I usually do just two but things are usually run two-phase these days so I wouldn't have a problem with doing 3 classes, if your horse is still feeling ready, I compete at the lower levels BS & normally do 95/1m. If you think of what they would jump in a days hunting etc, 3 classes is nothing :)

tinap

Visit site
Same as what others have said - the daughter does normally 2 classes but with most being run as 2 or single phase, she sometimes does 3. The horse used to like to look at things in the 1st class, but is capable of bigger classes so in the past they've used the 85cm as a 'have a look' round, then gone on to do the 95 & 1.05m too. They wouldn't do 3 everytime out though, only on odd occasions as the horse is only 5 anyway x

Stroppy Mare

Visit site
Depends on how fit my horse is - if she's fit enough I won't think twice about 3 classes, if there's enough time and it doesn't push us too far. If I can only manage 1 though (happens at some venues), then that's all we get.

Vodkagirly

Visit site
Usually 2 classes but it depends on how long between classes. I would happily do 3 if there wasn't much of a gap but its the warming up and waiting around that puts him and me off the boil.

Gamebird

Visit site
I have neither the patience nor the time to hang around for more than two classes, though have occasionally gone back HC in a class I've already jumped if I hadn't been happy with the round.

Wheels

Visit site
Usually two for me, on a young horse that might be a CR and then a class, older horses two proper classes. If jumping class and separate jump off then it is still 4 rounds if you get through to the jump off, possible 4 warm ups and 4 cool downs depending on the size of the class and the draw. Classes over here in northern iIreland end to be smaller but when I used to jump at arena uk there could be anywhere between 30 and 80 in a class, more at certain times of the year so that has a baring for me too, you could end up jumping in the middle of the class, the middle draw of the JO, the middle of the next class and the end of the JO, this all does take its toll

If you are at a small show with small fences then 3 is probably not going to do much harm

3Beasties

Visit site
Humm, a bit of a mix of opinions then :)

The horse used to like to look at things in the 1st class, but is capable of bigger classes so in the past they've used the 85cm as a 'have a look' round, then gone on to do the 95 & 1.05m too.

That's kind of why I feel I am better off doing 3 rounds, the first one is always a bit green/messy and I get nervous, so don't really start to enjoy it till the 2nd/3rd round.

It's equally important to take into account how much work the horse does in the warmup. Some warm up there while others exhaust their mounts.

We don't do much in the warmup TBH, walk, trot, canter and then pop a jump a couple of times before going into the first class which I ride as a 'warm-up' round. We don't do a huge amount of warming up between classes either unless she's been stood for ages (and if it's that busy that we've been stood for ages I'd have probably lost the will to live and not want to do a 3rd class anyway!)

Depends on how fit my horse is - if she's fit enough I won't think twice about 3 classes, if there's enough time and it doesn't push us too far. If I can only manage 1 though (happens at some venues), then that's all we get.

She's fairly fit, ridden 6 days a week, competes most weekends.

I think if it's quiet/she still feel up for it then I'll do the 3 rounds if it's single phase and I think it's needed. As I go higher I think 2 classes will be enough. Would never go just for one class though as it's a 50 minute drive!

Thanks all :)

biggingerpony

Visit site
I used to normally do 3 as well OP... I hate the warm up areas in most places so I'd just WTC and do a couple of jumps up to the clear round height then I'd try and go straight into a clear round, then onto my 2 other classes.

I think a few rounds of SJ is much less strenuous than a long hack!

jessjc

Chaddleworth, Berkshire (Wantage/Newbury)
Visit site
I think it really depends on your horse. My fit 6 year old seems to get mentally tired by the second class [Discovery/1.05m] (plus the waiting around and travelling and warm up can be quite hard work/stressful) so only jump him in two, but might be good practice to get them used to jumping 3 until they start jumping bigger classes, which might help with mental stamina in the future. It's quite a cost though, yikes, I cringe at having to pay for two classes plus travel and time etc...

Sounds like you're doing the right thing!

PolarSkye

Visit site
Usually max two . . . but we may sneak in a clear round as well if he's being naughty/needs some additional schooling . . . but then he's still quite green at this SJ lark, particularly indoors.

P

Daytona

Visit site
I think 2 is more than enough even when run as single phase. unless I had major problems in a class id never do three.

Luce85

Visit site
Depends which horses we are jumping, normally it is 2 for the young ones, especially if new venue and spooky etc, the older ones it tends to be just the 1, especially if jumping bigger, but depends on the mood of the horse, if they are a little fiesty and feel they need a round before they can actually concentrate, then we put them in one lower if possible. Older ones jumping 110-140!
Only time we would do 3 is if was doing a round HC if needed!

Visit site
Personally when I go out jumping I tend to only jump two classes on my fit jumping pony and they are 85 and 95 however if I ever feel that I want/need to do an extra class (bigger or smaller, regardless of size) I do not feel harsh doing it as he is fit enough to do so and loves to jump. I have even done 4 classes once when he was at his fittest and he loves it.