How many horses did you view before buying one?

GinaGeo

Visit site
I don't think I've ever viewed multiple horses. But I know what I like, and I'm usually buying unbacked youngsters. If I like them enough to view them, they have kind faces, and their temperament is good at the viewing then I will probably buy.

Asha

Visit site
When buying Asha , I knew what I wanted . Chestnut mare . Viewed one , really didn’t like her . Then the YM where I kept daughters pony said she was selling hers . Sat on her , loved her and husband bought her for me, 19 years on and she’s still here .

Finn , just viewed him . Agreed purchase on way back from 1st viewing .
Pip , . I viewed one that a friend was selling , but he failed the vet . So went to Janet Georges yard , viewed 2 and decided on Pip .
Youngsters , I tend to buy unseen .

But ridden ones always view , but on average it’s looking like just 2 viewings

J_sarahd

Visit site
I had quite a small budget when I bought mine (even for 2019 - it would get me a leg of a horse now) so, I was fairly limited but I viewed 3 including the one I bought.

Parksmum3

Visit site
So my first bought horse was a ‘it’s fate’ story. I was at college and working 2 days a week at a local riding school, I overheard 2 older members of staff talking about a riding school about a hour away that was reducing the amount of ponies in their school. I asked for the name of the yard and found a phone number for them. After a chat with the lady, I told her that I was looking to buy my first horse and she told me about a chestnut gelding she had, I agreed to go and see him. I was so excited. when we got to the yard I could see the chestnut gelding tied up on the yard and I just didn’t fall in love with him, he was a bit ugly to be honest his neck looked to long and skinny for his body. I thought I’d try him anyway as he might ride beautifully. Now on the phone I was told he was a good schoolmaster, good to hack in company, never hacked alone, not strong or spooky. When he was being tacked up they put a double bridle on him, I’d never ridden with one before, so this instantly made me feel uneasy. He was ok but I wasn’t smitten. I asked if she had any other ponies for sale and she introduced me to a 14.2hh coloured mare, a 13hh welsh mare, a Dartmoor hill pony she got some of the girls to tack them up so I could try see them ridden and try any of them If I wanted. then I saw him....being led from the fields over to his stable. A cute fluffy grey and white cob. I couldn’t take my eyes off him. The woman said oh I forgot he was in the fields, he is coming up for sale soon but he’s only just been backed. I asked to try him too. Even though he was very very green he was so willing and I felt so safe on him. We hacked up the road and he didn’t bat an eyelid at anything. I ended up buying him and still have him 11years later!! If he hadnt of been brought in from the field at that very moment he would never have been in the mix.
number 2: he was the 3rd one I tried, i brought him from a dealers yard he was exactly as described and being a dun I fell in love with him.
number 3 was unintentional. A friend of a friend had split up with her husband and she had to move herself and her 10 horses from his farm. Trying to help out we said we could take some until she found somewhere to keep them. We picked up a cob and a Welsh section A. We ended up keeping to cob lol.

4Hoofed

Visit site
This time 1, was looking for something very specific, was finalising the sale of my mare(which then fell apart…) and rang the gent because what I wanted was basically a unicorn. Drove down a few weeks later (3 hour trip) said I’d have him in the first 5 minutes because I’m crap at playing hard to get ? It’s been 5 months and I’m still in love. When I rang however it was definitely an interview from both sides, seller was then happy to hold until I could view, then again till I could arrange everything to bring him here!

previously it’s been much the same either bought from the breeder or as a foal, or already knew the horse! I’ve bought one from word of mouth but honestly he was train wreck but that wasn’t the dealers fault and it was just one of those things and the risk of buying horses. However if I’ve spoke to someone on the phone and we feel it’s a good fit I won’t rush to view because I won’t be rushed into buying if you get me!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Haven't actually chosen a horse since i was 10 ?
Ever since I've either gone along to do formalities first or just turned up with the lorry. When your budget is this pitiful you just get what you can ? hopefully next acquisition will be another homebred, again you get what turns up... that's cool, I like surprises ?

smolmaus

Visit site
Zero ?

I had 4 viewings booked for the week coming, showed their adverts to the owner of the sanctuary I volunteer at, since shes hands down the most experienced horsewoman I know, and she said Sadie the unbacked 8yo neglect case was better quality than any of them, maybe we could think about that? Cancelled all of the viewings immediately.

Still havent sat on her like, because I'm a giant fraidy-pants who can't do anything without a kick up the bum, but you'll pry her from my cold dead hands. She's my wee friend first and a working horse second so we will do what she is good at.

maya2008

Visit site
First one: 6 or 7.

Second one: accidental purchase as was in the field already and I had become attached when they offered her to me.

Third onwards - first ones I viewed. I had become more careful about questions asked etc by that point, and they were all unbacked babies so there wasn’t much to actually see at the viewing beyond that the seller had answered questions honestly and that the temperament was what I wanted. Only exception being the Shetland, but for kids’ ponies the market has always been cut-throat so she was again the only one we saw.

Last edited:

nikkimariet

Visit site
Every time I’ve bought the one I made the effort to go and see! I have to have a really good feeling about them to make a journey.

Fig worked out well for a very small sum of money. I wasn’t the right match for Nova as he didn’t do well under the pressure of training and competing but I don’t regret buying him. And Rooni has been everything I wanted and then some.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I've never really gone horse hunting 1st horse I was sharing anyway so bought her.

We wanted an Arab saw Arabi for sale as a 2yo and bought him so viewed no others.

When we bought Grace we wasn't really looking but saw her advert and really liked her and bought her.

Louis was given to me.

BronsonNutter

Visit site
Bronson was the first one we saw - I think as a 12 year old child I was just so thrilled that my parents had said yes to having a pony we'd have taken anything home! Did have him on loan for 7 months before buying though.
Wilby was the 6th horse I went to see, 5th horse I got on. We only really went to see him as there was another ideal looking one down the road but that sold the night before.
Fox was the 3rd horse I tried; I'd been to see another from her racing trainer that was just a bit too big/older than I wanted/with a previous (healed) injury. Tried to view loads more but everything fell through and I was working all hours. Then she messaged me about Fox and I went over to see her, then went back over with the stethoscope, opthalmoscope etc in the horsebox later that day!

None of them I got on and thought 'this is the one' but instead there's been nothing I've disliked about them, which is good enough for me.

Peglo

Visit site
Peggy was offered to me (or my friend but we had land and a companion so I got her) for free. Best decision ever even though she retired after 2(ish) years.

Flo Was for sale in the local paper. Only viewed her.

Tali was a love at first sight. (From a picture. I know its naff and I wouldn’t believe it until it happened to me but I just couldn’t get her out of my head. I did get videos too. ) bought her unseen from Italy. If I never rode her again she would be worth every penny. But hopefully that doesn’t happen as she just feels safe and right when I ride her. She was a covid purchase so maybe without all that crazy I might’ve missed out. I wasn’t properly looking, although kinda looking, so she was the only one I considered.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I rarely view many, think Ive only ever turned down 2 horses ever. By the time Ive asked all my questions, I generally have a very short list. Last few horses though, the horses generally have found me. I was gifted my previous two horses and my current one a friend has very kindly loaned me with the aim for me to buy her.