HOW MANY HOURS DO YOU...

Are your fears holding you back?

• Total voters

Frazer

Visit site
TURN YOUR HORSE OUT FOR DAILY! I have just moved yards, and the amount of time some horses have out is totally different! At my yard horses were put out at 9 and brought in at 6 every horse, however at this yard some owners will only have their horses out for 3 hours in the morning! Mine are out from about 8 - 4 each day! And a little less on the weekend! Any ideas about this?

Weezy

Visit site
All depends! Didnt turn out at all yesterday as the rain was lashing and I didnt want to wreck my field!

Usually 9am to 4pm as a rule tho this will drastically change during the winter

Jemayni

Visit site
In the summer hes out 24 7, however he is far too fat so shouldn't really be, but ideal world hey. But in winter he only goes out 6 hours a day top due to the fact its a huge hilly field and I tend to loose him after dark

Evadiva1514

Visit site
At the moment mine go out 7am until about 2-3pm but this will probably reduce as the winter progresses. I don't think mine would like to be out any longer than that though tbh as when the weather gets colder and wetter they are all ready to come in anyway!!

equibabe20

Visit site
mine is out 24hrs till November 1st then he will be out a 6.30am and in at 6pm im lucky as i only have a 2 min walk to the field and the majority of the field is lit up.

Ash the arab

Visit site
Ash is living out atm, but we have a yard policy that all must be in overnight from 5 november until the spring. The horses are allowed out as long as you like during the day. Ash goes out at 6.30 am and comes in about 3.30pm.

S_N

Visit site
It totally depends - now B is rugged - they are out 24/7. Though if the weather forecast is very cold and very wet, then they would come in!

beh

Visit site
it depends on weather, i normally turn out round 6.45-7.00 then bring in around 4.00-5.00, but earier if the weathers nasty or something, this will also change as the evening draw in quicker
XJX

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
At the moment our are out about 23 hours, come in for tea and to be ridden. But during the winter they will be out for 10 hours a day, 7am to 5pm.

Blackhawk

sublimedesigns.moonfruit.com
For J it's out 24/7 in the summer and I decide as and when what his winter routine will be as he stresses in the stable sometimes and drops weight. So if I can leave him out I do, if the weather is crap he comes in.

The other gets stabled at night year round.

seaofdreams

Visit site
i turn Mouse out when i get to work after she has had her brekkie around 8.30am
then get her in normally about 4pm so i can ride at 5pm when i have finished work
but if its horrible weather or in the winter she comes in earlier, she normally asks to come in !

pottamus

Visit site
In winter my boy is out from 6am until 6pm 7 days a week come rain, hail or snow and then in the summer he is out from 5.30am until it gets dark...so about 9pm. He only comes in at night in the summer to give his waistline a break from the grass!

4whitesocks

Visit site
Out 24/7 in summer - winter (at the mo) out from 8 - 5ish....unless it's truly awful weather...

Mind you he was nearly out all night two nights ago - was turned out with a new field mate (mahousive 4yo hunter) they decided to jump the water jump (field is next to xcountry course) cos the grass looked greener.......

Took the YO half an hour to find them - but when she did they just walked up to her like butter wouldn't melt as if to say - Oh, were you looking for us???

So glad my new YO has a sense of humour!!!

FinkleyAlex

Visit site
during summer he goes out 9pm - 9am and in winter its 9 am - 3.30 pm, weekends it depends on whether im feeling lazy or not, but he always goes out
smile.gif

RunToEarth

Visit site
I ticked 6-8hours, I turn out at 7.30am and fetch in at about 3-4pm. I dont like him standing in too often because he gets silly to ride, mare is turned out full time still
smile.gif

Peanot

Visit site
I ride in the mornings and then turn her out after. She is always out by about 10, and I bring her back in between 5 and 6pm depending on the weather. If I don`t ride for any reason, then she is out at 8.30am.

buckybee

Visit site
I think it totally depends on the horse and the situation. Ours stay out at night in the summer, but they want to get away from the flies in the day, and then in the winter we can't keep them out! We only have a s**t paddock but they make there way in some how!
tongue.gif

amage

Visit site
at the mo not at all as she gets a skin think that displays lymphangitic symptoms if she gets so much as a scratch on her leg and then gets them wet or dirty...unfortunately in winter she always seems to get little scratches on her legs so vet wants her kept in from field. she gets lots of work everyday though and goes on walker and i let her loose in the indoor for a good roll/scratch/buck/fart!!! after last show of year when she gets really wooly and hairy she is gradually roughed off. then she goes out 24/7 for a break. by then there is a good protective layer of hair on her legs. i have to clip them while she's jumping as it is the easiest way to wash and dry them after work and make sure they are really properly dry to avoid this leg thing. she doesn't go lame with it, just looks like she has a case of elephantiasis!!

loopeepee

Visit site
Erm, well it all depends. At the moment, if the rain doesnt stop, then they wont be out for much longer during the day at all. Summer - pretty much lives out. At the moment, it tends to be from 8 - 2:30/3:00 (when mum brings him in before sis rides after school).
However, from about end of October onwards he will not be out at all - none of them are at the yard. And he wont be again until spring when the grass is dry. Not ideal, however they get an hour on the walker, and hours play with a mate in the school and then ridden. So all in all, not too bad.

miamibear

Visit site
At the moment ours are out from 8 until 5. Some people do different, its up to them really but i like mine to go out before work and come in after work. Sometimes it is a little longer depending on when i get up
blush.gif

I am lucky that 3 of us at the livery yard are close so ours go out together so it doesnt matter who is down, they turn out or bring in.

I am very happy with this amount of time but i think this will drop around December time to a few hours a day, which im not looking forward to!

The horses are happy with the in at night out on a day routine, they are ready to come in by 5 and i think when it gets colder they will only need a couple of hours before they are ready to come back in so i think the horses dictate on this one!!

Heidi1

Visit site
Mine are ot 24/7 at the moment, but when they change over for winter, weather permitting they go out at 8am and come in between 6-7pm and they love it, some night they are ready others they have to be shouted.........weekends they tend not to be out as long..............

vicm2509

Visit site
I didnt answer the poll as atm my horse is out 24/7 but on 1st November they all come in at night. Someone turns them out for us between 6 and 9am then I will bring him in when i get to the yard about 4.30. We do have the choice of them living out all year but if they do you dont get a stable so I bring mine in (like most people do on the yard).

sorona

Visit site
All 5 of mine are turned out 24/7 all year round and are only in if injured or before a show if it is muddy out. Luckily I am able to choose and have a stable to use if wished (although it is actually filled to the brim with hay cut of my field at the mo!). I think my boys appreciate being out all the time and being able to interact and play and be HORSES as long as they have good shelter and good rugs but i am glad that I do have the facility to stable if needed.

BBs

Visit site
For that past 5 years my horses have been turned out from 7am until 5pm - now I ride before work and turn out from 8am and bring them in at around 5pm.

HOwever, if the weather is really fowl this winter then I will turn them out in the morning and bring them in at lunch time and then stick them on the walker in teh evening - plus riding before work! so they will have plenty of exercise and chill out time - cant see the point of trashing a field, but mostly their current field has no shelter so if they are stood next to the gate they may as well come in and have hay - however, on wednesday weather was awful - and neither bothered about the rain or the thunder - they just kept eating lol

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
AmyMay and loan horse are out 24/7 at the moment - and I'm hoping that Amy will winter out.

Loan horse will come in at night from the beginning of November when she's clipped.