How many of you have clipped?

lea840

Visit site
How many of you have clipped already and which is your chosen clip this year... and what sort of work are they in??

Last edited:

murphysmummy

Visit site
Will do this afternoon. Hairy cob will have a blanket until he starts coming in over night then I'll do him again with a hunter clip. He's ridiculously hot so although I ride for couple of hours only 4 days a week he is so much happier for being clipped.

MissTyc

Visit site
Trace clipped 8 horses yesterday & today ... That'll do them all for now! All ridden 5 days a week, still living out. As the winter comes in, some will end up with blankets, full clips or traces depending on level of work, etc ...

(how does the hair ALWAYS get in my knickers?)

JFTDWS

Visit site
Clipping this afternoon. full clipping hairy highland as he sweats horribly. He's ridden 5/6 days a week and lunged once. Competing (possibly at some stage hunting) fit. Fast hacking fro several hours at weekends / schooling or jumping in the week normally for an hourish working hard enough to come out dripping (less so when clipped!).

Old cob and 2 y/old highland will be left hairy, unless cob needs a bib to make him comfortable for hacking.

Auslander

Visit site
I'm so jealous! I love clipping, but mine isn't in work, so I can't do him. Don't even have the excuse of him being madly hairy.

If I were clipping, he would have everything off incl legs this time, then a hunter clip in Jan/Feb.

tinap

Visit site
Done both ponies this week. New Forest has a chaser & the little cob has a kind of cross between a chaser & a blanket. Both are ridden 6 days a week which includes competing on a weekend either showjumping, PC, dressage or XC xx

3Beasties

Visit site
Mine need doing -

The TB will have a blanket clip (he is the fluffiest of the lot!!) but only in light work, will be hacked a few times a week with the odd schooling session here or there.

The new beastie, ISH, will have a hunter/full clip, she'll be ridden 5/6 times a week, hopefully having lessons, competing and hunting.

The ponies at work will also have a hunter clip hopefully.

All beasties will be completely clipped out in the Spring to save the dreaded mault!

Visit site
I've only done 3 so far! 3 full clips on racing TB's. Most of ours are holding their coats well but I know as of next week I will be clipping, stripping and trimming more than anything else.

3 down - 172 to go ...

Saerwen

Visit site
One very hairy cob who gets very sweaty even in summer as doesn't ever seem to reach a suitably thin summer coat has been blanket clipped with half face. He will quite possibly get more off depending on weather etc. He is in work about 5-6 days a week doing dressage, jumping and hacking with the aim of getting him fit enough to pop round some cross country next year.
The other has a chaser type clip but with only half a head. Trying to avoid having to put necks on as much as possible to save the mane (both in overnight).

A couple of other horses on yard have also been clipped.

olderthanshelooks

Visit site
My Welsh had full clip (left 1/2 face) about 3 weeks ago as she get's really hairy, was being exercised every day and wasn't coping with the heat, would've then clipped again before opening meet.

Would've had first morning cubbing this morning but unfortunately the normally sensible thing got spooked and bolted just over a week ago and I came off and broke both my wrists so now I have a clipped horse who was hunting fit sat out in the field doing nothing for possibly upto 3 months. Grrr! :mad:

The TB who had just come back into work for a week after having 9 weeks off due to injury whilst out in the field, was aiming to have her out hunting just before xmas so would've given her a full clip mid/ late Nov is now going to have to be turned away again so not sure she will even hunt this season now.

Last edited:
Visit site
I work in a racing yard and last year refused to count past 175 full clips. I suspect that last year it was kicking on for nearer 225-250 clips by the time I was done. 75-80 horses with an average of 3 clips each ... It's a good job I like clipping!

redriverrock

Visit site
EKW probably me being abit thick but when you say full clip do you mean literally everything...I was considering this as a first clip for a haffie we have who has a very dense thick coat...not really long and then topping up with a hunter or blanket later in the winter.

SaffronWelshDragon

www.facebook.com
Clipped both of my in-work girlies last weekend. They've both got 2 10+ mile pleasure rides in the next few weeks. I normally bib clip them, Misty is extremely hairy, Saf not so much, but does a lot of work. This time I've gone for in between a 4 and a 5 according to this site: http://www.peasridge.co.uk/clipper-advice/clippers-clipping-advice-horses-types-of-horse-clips.shtml

Misty hacks around 5-7 miles twice a week, and Saf does the same but also schools around 3 days during the week as well. They both live out all year. Here's how it came out, I'm quite pleased as I'm still a novice at clipping, having only been doing it the last few winters.

255529_10151188149266263_903051598_n.jpg

Last edited:
Visit site
EKW probably me being abit thick but when you say full clip do you mean literally everything...I was considering this as a first clip for a haffie we have who has a very dense thick coat...not really long and then topping up with a hunter or blanket later in the winter.

I leave on the legs and half the head as a bit of protection against scrapes over the fences and kickback.

PolarSkye

Visit site
Not yet, but will do so as soon as I can arrange for someone to come and do it. GD is in full work - 6 days a week - and we will do a full body clip (no saddle patch), leaving only his legs and his head.

P

lea840

Visit site
Some interesting replies.... my hairy beast is having a full clip tomorrow, she is in work 5/6 days per week, a variety of schooling and lunging at the moment to increase her fitness...

shadowboy

Visit site
Me! My native has had a high trace done. Suits his shape and not too much off in case we don't do as much work as I have planned!

WelshTilly

Visit site
Mare has been fully clipped (hunter) 2weeks ago, her coat is growing though already, she is in work 6days a week, last year I blanket clipped taking it higher each time but she was still very hot when in work, so I will prob do a full clip again, then blanket during the worst of the weather she is 14 so would like her quarters kept warm the rest of the time I put a fleece on during warm up / hacking, then fully Clip coming out the other side of winter.

redriverrock

Visit site
I leave on the legs and half the head as a bit of protection against scrapes over the fences and kickback.

Sounds like a good idea..have a TB who hasnt really got much fluff at the mo and isnt particularly sweaty but the haffie has such a thick coat even in the summer and he can get very sweaty. We will be hacking out throughout the winter and tend to go out at least 4/5 days a week for upto 3 hours at a time.

Daytona

Visit site
Clipped 2 weeks ago on my WB, he in at nights out in the day and he has a blanket clip

Ridden 5 days a week, 1 hack , 1 jumping, 1 day out at either SJ or Dressage competition , 2 hard schooling sessions
Lunged 1 day per week
1 day off
Ridden on average for 1 hour each time .

ShadowFlame

Visit site
Planning on having my cob done next week... however, despite how hairy he's getting, he's still not sweating up! On vet's recommendation doing it more to help shift the lbs to be honest... he's in light/moderate work 5 days a week - walk, trot and a bit of canter for 45mins-1hr30.