how many of you leave your horse in its

Tia

Visit site
I'd never leave a horse in a New Zealand overnight in a stable - way too heavy and ungainly. However I have no problem with horses being left in turnout rugs - they are designed to be used both indoors and outdoors nowadays because the materials are breathable.
smile.gif

dieseldog

Visit site
My horse wears it's turnout rug in its stable as apart from anything else we have rubber matting and waterproof rugs cope a lot better with the wet than stable rugs.

Guinness

Visit site
I sometimes do if its very cold, I would rather leave my horse in a warm rug than put a cold one on for the night if you get me? Not that Ive started rugging up yet or anything
smile.gif

Jackie_L

Visit site
I think its fine to leave the 'new type' outdoor rug on at night. I leave mine on occassionally especially if its freezing and my horse is all nice and snug it seems ashame to loose all that lovely heat and put a 'cold' rug on. Also if i know im gonna be in a hurry in the morning i'll leave them on. I think with any rug as long as the horses are reg checked for rubs theres no problem. i've never had one anyway.
smile.gif

filly190

Visit site
I use my Rambo's as dual purpose rugs and have done for years. They are light, breathable and when wet from rain dry very well on the horses back.

I have loads of other rugs, but find this system works so well I have never had any problems. I groom every night and check for rubs etc etc. You should be fine, I have the lightweight and heavyweights.

Honeypots

Visit site
What difference would it make? A horse that lives out in a rug 24/7 would have to have one on all the time so surely theres no difference if its in a stable or out in the field...

pottamus

Visit site
No I tend to put his pyjamas on for bed time!
smile.gif
But I would be happy to leave his turnout on too if I was short on time or something.

rema

Visit site
I have to hold my hands up and say that i dont.If i had to only have one rug for turnout and stable use i would start to hyperventilate due to my rug buying obsessions.I just wouldent be able to cope.
grin.gif

Bananaman

www.teamtorrent.co.uk
Me.
smile.gif

I have done for years but still feel I have to explain myself to others and feel as if they are thinking I'm a bad 'mummy' sometimes!

Apart from the obvious time saving, surely it's better to keep a warm rug on than to swap for an initially cold one.
The modern materials are all breathable nowadays and of course, the rugs are all checked and removed or at least straightened if necessary daily.

catza

Visit site
My mare wears her MW masta at night, its breathable etc, new tech outdoor rugs have come on so much in recent years, echo warm rug too x

keeperscottage

Visit site
Bananaman and others - I concur with you 100%! I leave my horses cosily snuggled up, stabled, in their turn-out rugs (usually with a multitude of stables rugs underneath, too!). If they were living out, the rugs would be on all the time, wouldn't they? My friend takes off her turn-out rugs to replace them with TINY fleeces! Sorry, but when the temperature drops overnight, being in a stable isn't much warmer than being ouitside, is it??

ajb

Visit site
I do, rubber matting copes much better with TO rugs and its a lot easier in the morning when you have more than one to muck out and chuck out..plus dont like the idea of changing to cold rugs in freezing weather if not riding..i always quarter and flick over and re-set the rug though regardless....

burtondog

www.michellehudson.co.uk
When I was backpacking around New Zealand (the country!) I work for a little while at a racing yard. They used to exercise the horses in the morning then turn them out in their New Zealands rugs (the really old heavyweight ones) and then leave the same rugs on when they brought the horses in for the night. They'd just brush off the horses neck and legs.

Eaglestone

Visit site
I agree with mad_cob_fan 100%
I will embarrassingly (sp) admit that I still have some 'New Zealand' rugs .... one is very handy to hang over my old boys window to avoid him scratching himself on the dodgy window sill (he lives in a very old fashioned stable and not the house, I hasten to add!)
wink.gif

Louby

Visit site
I was mortified when I moved to my new yard some 3 yrs ago as they left turnouts on at night, mainly because I was The rug queen and had loads of lovely warm stable rugs in all possible weights and combos, half necks etc etc. As I didnt turnout in the morning I had to follow suit, so I sold them all on Ebay, broke my heart and replaced my cheaper turnouts with Rambo's and Fals, loved that bit. Its great, no more trying to dry sopping rugs and no stable stains as the rugs dont let the wee through, Also less cleaning bills each spring.
Gotta admit though I now have numerous turnouts and coolers, fleeces, just incase
blush.gif
grin.gif
crazy.gif

keeperscottage

Visit site
All the more reason to keep them well rugged up in their stables and not whip off their turnout rugs but leave them nice and cosy in their turnouts plus whatever else I put underneath them!!

rrose

Visit site
my own horse i personally do not unless time is tight, but the horses i work with i leave them on, purley as this saves time and most of there T/O rugs are warmer than what there stable rugs are.

HeidiBoo

Visit site
Once the cold sets in Heidi, my 37 year old will have up to 4 rugs on, and it's been known, if needed, for her to wear her NZ in bed, depends if she needs more layers than I have available in forms of stable and indoor rugs.

Likewise, when out, last christmas she as turned out in a fleece, woolen day rug, stable rug then full neck weatherbeeta on top.