How many people on here own Duns?

Shantara

Visit site
I'd love one who looks like this
the-real-Spirit-spirit-stallion-of-the-cimarron-16966809-390-291.jpg

He's called Donner, the inspiration for the horse in the cartoon movie Spirit.

Fools Motto

Visit site
I had a dun. :( She was PTS back in June aged 24. Miss her. Dun / buckskin is a fabulous colour, you can never get a bad one.
(Back in her hay day);
DSC01208-Copy.jpg

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
and chance friesian x hafflinger, he 19 months old , his passport says dun, most people think he is.
chance.jpg

I will eat my hat if he tested positive for either Dun or Cream (buckskin) as neither Haflingers or Friesians have those genes.

He is a bay pangare which he would have inherited from the Haffy side.

Beautiful colour. :)

Mad_Cow347

Visit site
MEEEE!!! :D:D I love my little yellow man.

My boy looks quite a lot like yours. From forum lurking you are from Cambridge? Do you go to local shows like rampton etc? There is one that looks a lot like Bailey that is always at shows round here that I have walked towards a few times and only when I've got closer thought ahhh that is not my horse!

ladyt25

Visit site
Ok, well this is mine. Bit of a poor picture as he won't pose - shows his colouring though. Is he buckskin??

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

And a bit of an action shot

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

He is Connie x TB and is 16hh, he has no dorsal stripe though and obviously with the white markings isn't a true dun.

ladyt25

Visit site
So I am safe to call him buckskin then do we reckon? What does that mean he's a mix of then - I assume the color gene would come from the connie side as opposed to the TB?

ladyt25

Visit site
I have a buckskin tobiano stallion, AKA Starbuck's Champagne Star, pictured here as a 2 year old.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11327483@N03/3066649142/ http://www.flickr.com/people/11327483@N03/

Very pretty!

I do love duns I have to say - whatever breed it is that makes them the colour they are just seems to give them such nice temperaments. I have never come across a bad dun. I wanted another one when i was looking but they were quite expensive so I went for my second choice - a red and white! I think I just like coloureds! Lol

welshstar

Visit site
I love the colour! I have a buckskin welsh cob- I didn't buy him because of the colour (never really thought much about it) but I always see it as a nice bonus. He covers up the dust in the summer and doesn't show grease when he's clipped (he's a bit lighter clipped).

Plus he's very distinctive in the showring and always gets remembered (that combined with some bucking!) I think they are becoming very fashionable in welsh cobs at the moment- one look at horsequest foals shows that due to the shear number of them!

Just to show a few pictures of him at different stages of the year- I love his dark buckskin colour best :)
250312_10150193356378682_511848681_7235102_1618590_n.jpg

215304_10150160937348682_511848681_6939394_7107849_n-1.jpg

freak.jpg

IMGP4768.jpg

horsesforcourses

Visit site
Me, me, me... I've a Dun, called Toggi, she's TBxID 15.2hh. Love her to bits.
Always promised myself that i would have a dun before i gave up riding!!
Bought her 12yrs ago as an unbroken 3 yr old.

Was really friendly with the girl who used to ride Arrow Javalin, (lovely chap) even tried to put my 16hh mare to him, but she was a career girl, and did not want to do the mumsy thing, so had to go out and buy one instead.

I am also under the impression that you do not get a bad dun.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Faracat
People always say he is dun, as his passport says, he has a dorsal stripe they say, but I know he is not lol

I had that with my filly. When I first got her as a weanling, she was 'pink' (chestnut greying out) and lots of people insisted that she was strawberry roan and not grey. She was totally white by the age of 2 1/2 and she's a fleabitten grey now. ;)

bluewhippet

Visit site
I love them - love looking at all the pictures of them. When I was looking I had a fantasy about getting a beautiful dun but I also wanted an arab. And duns are incredibly expensive or snapped up very quickly (by all of you!).

In the end I very boringly realised that I like bays an awful lot - find something about black points very satisfying. So now I have a bay arab but I still drool over photos of dorsal stripes....

emmanash

Visit site
I own a dun too! Mine is a chocolate dun apparantly. She has light dun inside her ears and a slightly silvery belly. Plus a dorsal stripe.

J&C

Visit site
Wow all your duns are gorgeous!

There seems to be a few colour experts around so I have a quick question :)
We have a 'palomino' shetland but he has a dorsal stripe. Is this possible in a palomino or is her another colour perhaps? I've always wondered!

Enfys

Visit site
Wow all your duns are gorgeous!

There seems to be a few colour experts around so I have a quick question :)
We have a 'palomino' shetland but he has a dorsal stripe. Is this possible in a palomino or is her another colour perhaps? I've always wondered!

Not a colour expert. Perhaps your pony is a dunalino ? One of my mares looks like a palomino, but isn't, her sire is a red dun and she has duns all the way back through her pedigree.

0ac2267e.jpg

Last edited:

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Hmm, would mine count as a dun? He has an eel stripe - but it greying out (too much for my liking!)

(Excuse my bum and general riding, only pic with eel stripe!)

DSC03340.jpg

DSC03801.jpg