How many times a week do you ride?

Ellietotz

Visit site
Just curious to know how many times you do ride and how many times people think you SHOULD ride in a week?

pansymouse

Visit site
In the summer about 5 times a week in the winter twice a week. I hack and work full time so am ruled by the availability of evening light. I'm currently doing the 2017 1000 hack challenge so am riding more like 6 times a week to make sure I make it; I only started three weeks ago so missed the first four months of the year.

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
I work full time and own 2 geldings that i have to keep fit. One was suppose to be the boyfriends but he lost interest. Both get ridden 4 times a week in summer, meaning i have to ride everyday so at least it keeps me fit! During winter I had to ride one everyday, so i'd ride and lead out most of the time (due them being kept in nearly 24/7 flippin' farmer) i'd ride at 6am most mornings, one or both, work and then return home at 8pm after doing them after work. They were probably ridden more in winter than they are in summer. I'd ideally like them ridden 5 times a week with 2 days off each but i just don't have enough time. School both once a week, jump both and hack a couple of times a week and also take them out in the box weekends alternatively to funrides, hunter trials etc. When my gelding was ridden 6 times a week with one day off he use to get quite sour, he's much better with 3 days off during the week, i'd like to think once they're fit you just have to maintain it.

Last edited:

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
5 to 6 times a week in summer and as much as the weather allows in winter, so could be twice or 6 times as i wont risk icy or foggy conditions

spugs

Visit site
In summer pony is ridden 5-6 times a week, I ride in school once, have a lesson, hack solo and hack in company and then my daughter hacks once or twice and sometimes pops in the school. In the winter it will be less hack maybe twice a week plus a lesson and then my daughter might ride in the school on a night.

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
During the holidays, 5-6 times a week usually. Sometimes he gets worked every day, but at least one of those will just be a short walk hack around the block or a quick whizz on the lunge/free schooling. If my placements finish especially late or the weather is shocking it might be less but still try and do at least 3-4 times. When I'm at uni he gets ridden at least 3 times a week if I'm not coming home that week, or 5 times if I am. I've just got a sharer who is riding him 2-3 days, and the yard will hack him out once a week if I'm not around. Mix of schooling, hacking, XC, lessons, competitions/hunting and fun trips to the beach/gallops etc.

I don't think there's a set limit to how many times you should ride, depends on you, your horse, what your aims are... If you're happy and your horse is happy, healthy and fit for their job that's what counts!

TheHairyOne

Visit site
3-4 on the rising 5 year old cart horse and 5-6 on the comp horse and then 1-2 on one of the others in the nice weeks. In the winter i tend to ride 1 lunge 1. At least half of my riding is hacking though and they all live out so very limited jobs to do!

TandD

Visit site
6 times a week on my 2 'proper' dressage horses...so 12
Then 4/5 on the 'baby' Clydesdale (if not ridden 5 does some physio pole work).
And sometimes once or twice on mum's hack if she cant/doesn't want to ride.
So in a week it can be up to 19 times on my own!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Each of my 2 horses does on average 6 days a week, in addition I usually ride a further 2 or 3 each week for other people :)

I don't think there is a 'should do'... as mentioned above it depends on what you want from your horses.
I need mine to be fit and I enjoy training them so this works for us.

ihatework

Visit site
These days I ride generally ride only if I fancy it.
On average 5 times a week in summer, in winter 3-4 if nothing to aim for but would make the effort for 5 if competing.
I'm contemplating not having one over winter this year and just going for lessons instead (and fair weather hacks on friends horse)

MDB

Visit site
I have two horses, and normally go hacking once or twice a week. But one is out of action right now, and I am trying to build up to taking the other one out solo. So I have been riding her every day now, in the field and around the track, doing lots of different things. She doesn't know what has hit her, and neither do my leg muscles! And actually, I am loving riding every day!

Micropony

Visit site
Usually 5 times a week but if something dire goes wrong I don't stress too much as he's getting plenty of turnout at the moment and he's perfectly safe even after a fortnight off. In winter I do feel much more of an obligation to ride him as he doesn't get so much turnout and appreciates the work.
My last horse had to be exercised 6 days a week without fail, and if I couldn't do it I would pay the yard to lunge him. Two or more days off in a row and you really knew about it when you got back on!

JustMe22

Visit site
Mine gets worked 5 to 6 times a week. Any less and he becomes difficult - OTTB so needs his work! He's not a great hack yet but I try to hack him or ride him on our exercise track once or twice a week anyway, though sometimes it has to be after a lunge or schooling session to keep a lid on things.

Then I ride other horses on average about three times a week to keep my livery a bit lower.

Moomin1

Visit site
Since having my daughter 2.5yrs ago I ride 1-2 per week, however last year my mare was on box rest due to lameness, and then I fell pregnant with my second just as she was coming back into work. So I haven't ridden in over a year now. My instructor rides her 3 times per week, and hopefully by end of this year after my second is born in August, I'll be back to riding 1-2 per week. I've just bought a 4x4 so hoping I'll get out and about a bit too.

Myloubylou

Visit site
I ride 4 times & a couple of friends ride her on another 2 days. My mare has EMS and is sounder the more she is ridden

Amye

Visit site
My horse gets ridden around 5/6 times a week. OH rides at least once on a weekend, sometimes we share and I ride the rest of the time. Mixture of hacking and schooling, try to go on 1hour+ hack at least 2 times a week and school 2 times a week. One day is normally just a potter round the fields (takes around half an hour) so that's a 'relax day'. Then, depending on if it's 5 or 6 days we'll hack/school or he'll get a lunging/long-reining session.

I don't worry too much if he gets worked a bit less though. I'm going on holiday soon and he probably won't get ridden then (my mum might potter him round the fields but she's not as confident schooling). Sometimes I have a lot on or I *really* just don't feel like it so he might get 2 full days off during the week. In winter I try to keep it similar but the long hacks do get less frequent because of the light.

Visit site
At work? Every day. At home? Barely ever. I don't have time and on my days off from work I spend all my time catching up on things I haven't had time to do. Potentially I have 5 I could ride straight away and 1 I am in the process of breaking ie he has been long lines once, leant over once and sat on once but he did go for a wee talk and trot that day! And that was about 6 weeks ago.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
DP gets ridden 4 times a week, hacking with a mixture of walk trot and canter work with the odd gallop ground permitting. It's very hilly so he gets a good workout. I ride B twice a week and sharer rides him twice as well although I am riding him more at the moment as DP is off and he does exactly the same type of work with the added bonus of jumping which he loves. Not sure what the winter will be like with two but hoping to continue with the same amount of work if possible.

Ellietotz

Visit site
Thank you everyone. It's good to hear how many times everyone else rides. I like to keep mine fit and ride 4 times a week. Winter is a different story though sadly but still try for two times at least or a lunge with a head torch! I did ride in the school once with some portable flood lights and a head torch, must admit though, made me feel a bit motion sick!! :lol: