How many times did it take you to pass trailer test?

Shoei

Visit site
Im absolutely gutted I failed my 1st test this morning! I have done 10 hors intensive training this weekend and went from never having towed to gaining 100% yesterday. I did my manoeuvres 10 times faultlessly.. This morning I went over the line which I had never done and then totally spannered my coupling up before giving up 😢 worst examples I had done!

So how many times did it take you? I'm booked in again for September!

AmyJai

Visit site
Oh dear that sounds like such bad luck :( It sucks when that happens! Especially when its never gone wrong before! I am booking my test soon and haven't yet done one - do you mind me asking what it consists of? I'm just practicing towing my trailer around whilst empty (as this way it isn't over 3.5t) and haven't had any actual lessons (apart from with my lovely dad!).

A friend of a friend failed hers too and I don't know if shes booked it again.. Good luck on your next test! :)

Highlands

Visit site
Messed it up first time and then 2nd they aborted test due to schools 4x4 clutch snapping, gutted as I only had two minors and 10 mins to go!

Equi

Visit site
Two. Failed before I left the yard for forgetting to check my lights. After that the test was awful and had I passed the lights but, I would have failed anyway (however I was later told he did that because he already knew I failed so he marked everything that could potentially fail me again)

Passed second time with 3 minors (2 that were put when we were back at the center so totally made up)

I did lessons though. It became more like habit rather than a 10hour cramming session.

Equi

Visit site
Oh dear that sounds like such bad luck :( It sucks when that happens! Especially when its never gone wrong before! I am booking my test soon and haven't yet done one - do you mind me asking what it consists of? I'm just practicing towing my trailer around whilst empty (as this way it isn't over 3.5t) and haven't had any actual lessons (apart from with my lovely dad!).

A friend of a friend failed hers too and I don't know if shes booked it again.. Good luck on your next test! :)
You must get a lesson. The test consisted of 90% driving and 10% trailer. Once you hitch the trailer it basically doesn't exist anymore and you're tested on your driving which is exactly like the driving test.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I failed the first time without getting in the vehicle because the trailer didn't meet the test standard. Gutted.

Passed the next attempt with no minor faults which I was told was very unusual and the examiner (same one who failed me on the trailer!) complimented me on my excellent trailer driving skills lol.

Street_Skill

Visit site
I passed first time, although I am quite fortunate in that I pretty much drive for a living and have had lots of additional training through work so because I am already driving at a fairly high standard all I had to do was learn the reversing pattern and hitching, unhitching etc. I had one intensive afternoons training and had a couple of practices on my in-laws farm. Stick with it-it's the best bit of driver training I've done and once you've passed you'll be amazed at the freedom it gives you. Good luck, I'm sure you'll sail through next time.

pippixox

Visit site
luckily passed first time, as I would of had no money to do another! did the 2 days intensive and then test, although had also done a bit of practice with a friend.

agree, other than the coupling and the reverse, once the trailer is on you just have to remember to drive perfectly- so all the mirror checks and correct indicating.

i did take 4 car tests to pass!

so glad i did it, as although i don't go out that often, i have a trailer that can sit in the barn without costing me much and borrow my fiances towing vehicle- so much cheaper than attempting to get a much sort after 3,5 ton box.

huskydamage

Visit site
I took the lorry test once and failed couldn't afford to retake. I am considering trailer test in the future as cheaper, but judging by my track record I might need a lot of money for re-tests (Took me 6 times to pass car!) I am really bad at practical tests nerves get the better of me and I tend to make stupid mistakes when I know I'm being 'judged' lol

MissJessica

Visit site
Two.

I failed on no minors, one serious fault missed speed limit change carried on with 30 in a 50.

I too was gutted the first time, felt so ready. Had to wait three weeks for a cancellation test that fitted in with work & had no confidence on the day of the second test as hadn't done any practice as unable to. But somehow passed with two minors.

Good luck for next time. X

Farma

Visit site
I passed mine first time luckily as my examiner let me off with alot seemed to be more of a laugh with the guy than a driving test!

Dumbo

Visit site
My first attempt is booked for start of October. I have one and a half day's training before the test.
This thread has filled me with dread now as I was confident and thinking it would be fairly straight forward. Doesn't sound like that's the case now!

ROG

Visit site
Anyone on here that wants FREE (with expenses covered) trailer training, has a set up and lives near LEICESTER then I am available

EX LGV & B+E instructor
Current IAM advanced driving observer

xDundryx

Visit site
First time, work put us through a 5 day driver training b+e course (military) I must admit the first part was the coupling etc, I was so nervous I had to talk to myself saying everything I had to do out loud as I did it... Examiner must have thought I was mad, however once we were on the road I barely noticed the trailer. Good luck xx

Shoei

Visit site
Thanks for all the well wishes guys, I'm just so disappointed! I have to say, I had really good instruction, I just need to control my nerves! I think it's certainly worth doing an intensive course but if you are a confident driver and used to driving and manoeuvring a loaded trailer you might get away with less. Don't forget you have all the show me/tell me questions, your safety checks and the correct coupling/uncoupling routine. I'm just going to carry on until I pass!!! They will get sick of me eventually!

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
I failed 3 times then gave up. Failed on different things each time as it was nerves rather than the actual driving. I then got a single trailer which I had for 4 years with no problems at all :rolleyes3: then up graded to a 3.5 ton lorry as both me and DSW can drive it whereas if I'd got a double trailer and re done test he'd have needed to do test too.

If you can Shoei maybe take ROG up on his offer? I can think of at least one member he has helped with great success :)

Overread

www.flickr.com
Im absolutely gutted I failed my 1st test this morning! I have done 10 hors intensive training this weekend and went from never having towed to gaining 100% yesterday.

I would say your problem is that you've only done 10 hours over 2 days. Sure that's a nice block of learning, but very little of that information is anywhere near your long-term nor instinctive memory*. I would say intensive are good to get started and good for a refresher or just before a test; but nothing beats regular continual training that builds on itself slower. A few weeks/months and you'll really learn a lot more because you'll get more information and methods away into long term memory.

Granted this isn't quite the same as starting something from scratch; but I'd still say longer slower is better. September gives you a nice block of time to practice in so by the time you get there you should feel a lot more confident in yourself and your abilities. (sometimes that's all that counts- building on lessons until such point as your confidence is good enough to pass you - rather than being scared/worriedand messing up as a result).

*I don't actually mean instinctive but mean where you don't have to "think" about the action; just "do" it.

dibbin

Visit site
I passed first time, I only did a half day training with the instructor immediately beforehand but had been practising my reversing with OH's small 4x4 and boat trailer for weeks!

Just sounds like bad luck and nerves on your part OP, don't beat yourself up about it too much :) good luck for next time!

supagran

Visit site
Anyone on here that wants FREE (with expenses covered) trailer training, has a set up and lives near LEICESTER then I am available

EX LGV & B+E instructor

I didn't take a test (grandfather rights), I think I drive ok, but what everyone else thinks????

AandK

Visit site
I passed first time, I only did a half day training with the instructor immediately beforehand but had been practising my reversing with OH's small 4x4 and boat trailer for weeks!

Just sounds like bad luck and nerves on your part OP, don't beat yourself up about it too much :) good luck for next time!

Same for me, morning of training and test in afternoon, I passed first time. After passing my car test on the 4th attempt I was rather pleased!! I spent the 6 months prior to the test towing my horse on L plates with good old Dad sat beside me.

NellRosk

Visit site
Passed first time but I have no idea how! When I was reversing it my leg was shaking so badly on the clutch I thought I'd stall :eek: good luck for next time!

Spottyappy

Visit site

EX LGV & B+E instructor
I have tried to pm you, but can't for some reason.
I haven't got the towing vehicle /trailer sorted yet, but when I do, how does it work as I can't get insurance for my daughter anywhere that I can afford (cheapest quote £2000) so unless you're on private land, does your insurance cover her while under tuition? Thanks.

ROG

Visit site
I have tried to pm you, but can't for some reason.
I haven't got the towing vehicle /trailer sorted yet, but when I do, how does it work as I can't get insurance for my daughter anywhere that I can afford (cheapest quote £2000) so unless you're on private land, does your insurance cover her while under tuition? Thanks.
I do not do tuition in that sense - I would be a private individual helping another

My PM system is turned off as I got too many asking about towing rules on it instead of in the HHO TOWING CLINIC thread where it helps others when the Q&As are public