How many times do you like to view a horse before buying?

MagicMelon

Visit site
I'd let someone come twice if trying one of my horses, not a 3rd time as I think that is time wasting. When viewing for myself, I've only ever viewed horses once and I tend to know from that if I want the horse or not, but Ive generally always bought young horses - if I were buying an established competition horse then I'd probably go twice or see it at an event. So really depends.

Lanky Loll

Visit site
In the past only ever once but we often knew them first anyway.
Current horses - one bought by my dad at auction so unseen or tried in anyway (by me); and the other was tried and bought by my mum so I didn't see him until he was on the yard :)

zoelouisem

Visit site
Well they had arranged to come back at the weekend someone else came once saw her vetted her she passed. So they lost a good pony by waiting they are devastated now but the way things go I'm pleased with the new home.

be positive

Visit site
Well they had arranged to come back at the weekend someone else came once saw her vetted her she passed. So they lost a good pony by waiting they are devastated now but the way things go I'm pleased with the new home.

I thought trying a third time was fair enough to be totally sure but to leave it a week or more was pushing their luck, it's a shame for them but from your point of view she is probably going to the better home, I find people that dither often do the same in other aspects of life and are not always going to be the most confident dealing with a new pony, you may have had them constantly asking for help and advice over any minor issue.

Good luck with the search for a new pony.

blood_magik

Visit site
sorry to derail slightly OP - just out of interest, if the horse being sold was 'high value' (say, 15k+) would most people still not be happy with proposed buyers viewing a third time?

Would it make a difference if the buyer put down a deposit to stop others viewing the horse before coming back one final time?

Just curious as most people have said max 2 viewings. 🙂

ihatework

Visit site

Probably for the best. If they aren't experienced enough to know a good pony when they see one then they might not have been the best for the pony to produce futher.
It will be a life lesson for them at any rate.