How messy is your car?

jodie3

Visit site
Mine is usually pretty bad but I think I excelled myself moving the ducks in a dog crate in the back - the interior is now pebble dashed with mud!!

Luci07

Visit site
Some time ago, looking at me struggling to clean out my jeep so I could drive it to work, my brother suggested that next time I looked at a new car....to keep the jeep just for horses and dogs and run it into the floor and buy another car which never sees a horse. Jeep is worth peanuts now, and resembles a mobile dog kennel but works for me. Yard is horrendously muddy and I have 4 staffords......

NZJenny

Visit site
Mine are clean and tidy inside, dust and mud allowed outside depending on the season. I have to get to and from work in my car, so the thought of having to pick hay etc of my work clothes dosn't really work for me.

meesha

Visit site
Dog is in dog cage in boot, shoes changed before getting in car, any rubbish removed daily. Result is that although not immaculate its pretty good. I have had cars in the past which smelt like a dead rat, you don't realise how nice it is to drive a clean car until you make the effort. (Leather rather than fabric helps with both smell and cleanliness)

Omg how old I sound !

blitznbobs

Visit site
Mine would win awards... I live in my car, eat in my car, lug children and horse stuff about I am actually ashamed of it tbh... It's a v nice car and I treat it with no respect at all... It resembles a skip rather than a car BUT I have a week offmaybe I'll clear it out!

Tess Love

Visit site
It always amuses me that horsey people have really messy cars as most of them are brilliant at keeping their tack, horses and stables immaculate. Mine is clean and tidy and is treated as an extension of my house so gets hoovered at least once a week and washed regularly. I have many friends however who definitely deep litter! I think perhaps it depends on how much you use your car away from the horses and the work you do too.

Carefreegirl

Visit site
I took my car in on Friday evening working on the theory that if they couldn't see just how filthy it was they wouldn't groan. However when I got back in it in the day light I could see just how much they'd missed !

The time before they suggested that I dropped it off in the morning and picked it up later. Didn't know whether to laugh or cry.....

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
Our car is VERY clean & tidy inside - absolutely spotless. My Father never lets us in with muddy or dirty boots, and she's also clean on the outside (yes, we do live in the countryside, and on a muddyish non-working farm) the lorry on the other hand, well, it's a little bit messy. There are a few bits of hay & muddy footprints in the living area, horse area, is well, as a horse area is meant to look. Quite clean, but bits of muddy hoofprints, loose bits of hay etc.

Last edited:

wiglet

Visit site
Mine is clean :) all my tack and horse stuff lives at the yard, no need for it to be in the car. If I need to pick up shavings or feed, it goes in the boot and is taken and offloaded at the yard straight away.

I do get a bit of mud in the foot wells but, it's just a matter of shaking the car mats outside the car.

Jazzy B

Visit site
My car probably use to need Heath hazard stickers stuck on it until I went out with a chap who said to me "A dirty car is a dirty woman"! I thought that was gross - he didn't make another date but I've tried to keep mine pretty clean since then - car wash most weeks and Hoover every few...

MagicMelon

Visit site
Mine's always a mess - generally covered in hay / bits of tack (because I take ages to clean it out after going to an event), mud (from dog) and general filth like bits of food (young child). I hate it being such a mess, drives me nuts BUT its hard to find time to tidy it out especially at this time of year when its so damn cold and we live on top of a hill so its been blowing a gale for what seems like the start of winter :( About once a week I do generally get a plastic bag and just fill it with the rubbish but never get round to hoovering...

Today I had a very quick clean out and it consisted of 3 child jackets, 2 pairs child gloves (1 pair soaking wet), 2 pairs childs trousers, 2 pairs childs wellies (I only have one child BTW!), 1 pair of my competition boots, 1 pair of thermal winter boots, a mound of used baby wipes and a heap of raisins my child threw all over the footwell. Nice.

milesjess

Visit site
I used to be OCD clean about my car (when I had a nice one), sold it and got a cheap run around... Plus a horse! It's clean at the mo, well the inside is. But it won't last long. Always find hay all over the place!

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
I was watching I robot yesterday and in the film the car that Will Smith gets out of is automatically lifted tipped up and taken away to park vertically in a carpark...my OH smirked at me and said imagine what would happen if they parked your car like that..the dash board would be full of tack/jackets/boots/empty water bottles/tissues...sadly this is true..my car is my mobile tack room...the shame.

Visit site
Very! Bags of rubbish everywhere - empty bottles, crisp packets, etc. Mud in the footwell, ingrained horse hairs, etc! The outside is just as bad too! :eek: Glad it's not just me!

Madam Min

Visit site
The footwells in ours are full of mud! When we first got it, I attempted to keep it clean+ have air freshners but it didn't last long! Need to give it good clean soon as may need to use it for work!

gina2201

Visit site
Mine is kept very clean. I rinse boots off before getting in, bought rubber mats for the floor rather then carpet ones it came with so whilst the mats get muddy naturally, easy to clean. Also I don't carry unneccessary stuff around and empty it of any rubbish I bring back from the yard straight away. Think it's been drilled in to me from a young age!

The wife

Visit site
I am ashamed to say my cars are diabolical. The last 3 I have sent for scrap as I couldn't bare the embarrassment of selling them. One in particular got so bad that rubbish/clothing/mud reached seat height and I could only take 1 passenger.

These days i'm pretty good (by my standards at least) it is still covered in mud - mainly paw prints as the dog likes to ride shot-gun and it stinks of fags, wet dog, wet rugs and horses but at least I can travel 4 passengers now (if I can find that many volunteers). I have taken a car to the lovely Polish Valeters before for them to laugh and refuse to clean a car before, pointing to the tip next door...

I had a lovely 04 206 which I bought brand new, it followed the hunt and went across plough/through hedges etc, it was trashed from storing wet rugs and clothes that I meant to get dried and cleaned. Never again will I buy a new car.

Mike007

Visit site
I pulled up at the lights once ,and a Romanian windscreen cleaner gave me a complete telling off about the state of my car . IT WAS A RANT!!!! She even forgot to speak in English for half of it!!!!Unfortunately since I speak the language ,I understood the lot. I was severely told off.

Tobiano

Visit site
Some wonderful images here!

I too am too embarrassed to take my car to the valet so it just gets worse and worse. It wasnt so bad when it was just horsy stuff, though 5 minutes of transporting a dirty numnah from the yard to home to wash it means a whole horse worth of hair ingrained into the boot carpet (though seemingly no less to clog up the washing machine). Now I have the dog it is unspeakable. Boots always full of mud after walks, never remember to wash them under the tap. Dog treats / chews under and between all the seats. No dog hair, as she is a cockapoo and doesn't shed, but mud / twigs / all sorts stick to her fur and transfer all over the car. She sits on the back seat most of the time, except when I leave her in the car for a few mins to go to Budgens, whereupon she jumps through to the front seat, centre console, and has a good look over the dashboard. Muddy feet everywhere. She isnt responsible for the empty coffee cartons, sweet papers, bits of kitchen roll and dropped crisps / quavers / peanuts everywhere though.

Mind you it does have its advantages. Recently I found 2 right hand gloves in my boot, which immediately meant 2 more pairs of gloves to use. Result! :)

I have been thinking it is time to change my car as it will start to get expensive soon, but I am too embarrassed to take my current one for a trade in.

Burmilla

Visit site
When not at work, I look like a a bag lady, due to the fact that I live on my barge on a tidal river, (mud++) have a dog who likes tearing round in mud and horse/cow poo, (mud +++) and a pony who is a mud magnet, (mudxn) together with hay, shavings and feed to be transported. The car is beyond grubby.
When I am at work (Local Govt officer, often in Court on no notice at all.
Answer: two old BMWs reliable, and scrub up well. One is kept clean and tidy and used almost exclusively for work. T'other is horse/dog car, and is covered with hay, shavings and mud! This is not often used for anything other than an animal useful hack. Does scrub up ok though, so is a useful back up if work car is being serviced, etc.

lhotse

Visit site
Forgot to say in my previous post, but I have some great lichen growing on my wing mirrors, moss on the bottom of the rear windowsill and a resident spider behind the sun visor!!

Landcruiser

Visit site
Oh I'm glad it's not just me. My car is famously dirty. I always have big cars with lots of space for "stuff." I treat it as a sort of survival kit, so always have lots of spare bits and pieces - spare clothes, bits for the dogs, always a headcollar and lead rope (called into use twice last year to rescue stray horses), bits of tack, old parking tickets, medical stuff, tools, torches...and until Friday I'd been driving around with 4 winter tyres I've been meaning to have put on for ages. Now fitted, and I've even put the summer ones in the shed. But I'd rather not be caught unprepared....I was the kid that was never allowed out without my duffle coat, scarf and mittens:)

My family say my car smells of horses. Does it? I have no way of knowing..

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
No rubbish in mine, I can't bear it, but oddly, I overlook the hair-mine, dogs', horse's. It's carpeted! Lots of mud from dogs and it's as dusty as heck.

zoelouisem

Visit site
My last car was a real old banger and I hated it, the mouse that came to live in must have been keener on it than me!!!!
This car isn't much better. Trouble is I do a bit of rug washing for people so I have stinking rugs in it regularly so find it hard to care about when it smell like s muck heap most the time!!!
My horse box on the other hand is pretty clean!!!

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
No room for passengers, sometimes have to organise stuff in order to get shopping in. Even when I cleaned it [two occasions] my passengers refused to travel with me again. I tried removing stuff, toolbox, jump leads, garden shears, wire cutter, things like that only to find that I needed them for myself or someone else in the yard asked me for help.
It got so bad I once decided to hose it out, but the electrics died, fortunately I had some WD40...... It is due a wash, once a year job, obviously.