How much bedding do you use a month?

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
Out of interest, and what does it cost?

I use Hunter shavings and go through 4 bales a week with 2 geldings in at night, approx £48 a month on bedding. Not sure if thats average or alot?

holeymoley

Visit site
Approximately 1 per 7 days. Pony on box rest at the moment so maybe put the odd one in slightly earlier than 7 days. I use Nedzbeds and have recently started adding shavings too. Nedzbeds were £7.99 (bought up front) and shavings are bought off yard at £7.15 so approximately £30/£40 per month.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Used to be 3-4 bales a week- she was filthy!

Now 2 bakes a week. I feel like I am rolling in cash!!!!!

She just does not seem to make the mess. She seems to now pee in the same place and is settled so does not disturb the bedding.

HeyMich

Visit site
My 2 live out 24/7 so I only use bedding for when they are in the stable for riding, farrier, vets. I guess I use approx 2 bales of shavings a month, at most, so about £13.

bounce

Visit site
I use 1 and a half bags of wood pellets and half a bag of Miscanthus a week. Cost of £10.50 a week. That's for 2 stables, one on wood pellets and the other on Miscanthus. I buy wood pellets in 1 tonne pallets to keep the cost down.

Myloubylou

Visit site
I work on 6 bales of miscanthus a month on Eva mats out during day and in at night. My mare is pretty clean and stable large

ETA use cavianthus at £7.50 a bag. Is mixture of short and medium chop miscanthus straw. Find is absorbant, good spread and visually appealing. In summer hardly use anything at all as top layer stays clean & dry

Last edited:

TotalMadgeness

Visit site
I use flax bedding. If my husband mucks out I will use 1.5 to 2 bales a week with 2 geldings. If I muck out (lol) I use 1 bale a week. I buy a pallet load at a time of 36 bales works out at £7.74 a bale. One gelding is very wet but this bedding is fab! I use it on rubber mats.

Edited to add. The muck heaps created are pretty small and the flax decomposes beautifully. I have tried every type of bedding known to man but this stuff is perfect for me & my horses. My stables are 12 x 12.

Scarlett

Visit site
Just swapped to chopped rape straw and have seen a big saving in time and money.

20kg bag is £7.40.

My two mares get one a week each, sometimes they don't need it so I could probably get away with 3 bales every 4 weeks but I always put them in. So £30 per month each.

Big gelding, who pees a lot (we think due to hind gut issues), has 1 every 5 days roughly which is 6 a month. This is £45 a month. Previously he was on 2x shavings and 2x pellets a week (£100 a month) so it's a big saving!

CavaloBranco

Visit site
Out of interest, and what does it cost?

I use Hunter shavings and go through 4 bales a week with 2 geldings in at night, approx £48 a month on bedding. Not sure if thats average or alot?
£48 a month for both horses? At 4 bales a week....they must be cheap!
I pay about £120 a month in the winter for my 2 who are in at night on shavings.Think they are about £8 per bale delivered.

Denbob

Visit site
I go through a bag of pellets a week and a bale of shavings so about £14 a week. He's generally fairly settled but can trash the front of his bed so no shavings are salvageable or i'd be able to go longer!

Hallo2012

Visit site
10 bags of cardboard between 2 small and tidy ponies.

stabled 1.30pm-7.30am currently.

they work out at £6.60 per bale so £66 a month so £33 per month per pony which isnt bad i dont think?

im restricted to cardboard or paper due to asthmatic OH and step kids.

chaps89

Visit site
3 bags of pellets a week at £4.77 a bag. She has a full muck out at the weekend where I put half a bag of unsoaked pellets in the wee spot and a bag and a half of soaked pellets spread over the bed. Mid week she gets a bag of soaked pellets in to top her bed up.
She is both very wet and drags her hay through her bed.
She's not in for overly long either - comes in about 6pm and goes out about 6.30am.
So monthly I spend about £75-85ish on bedding :( (that does include a bag maybe 2 of pellets for the cat litter though)

Leo Walker

Visit site
I pay about £120 a month in the winter for my 2 who are in at night on shavings.Think they are about £8 per bale delivered.

I think the OP got her sums wrong! Even at £7 a bag which is the lower end, thats £28 a week which is £121 a month!

Pie's mum

Visit site
I use pure wood pellets and use 4-5 bags per month. My boy is a tidy little soul, poo in one massive pile and a little wet patch - he tries to hold it in until I get there in the morning so there is usually only one overnight wee to take out. I do a full muck out every day and it’s only about half a barrow!

Surbie

Visit site
1 bale of Nordics and half a bag of dust per week so about £45/month while he's in more over winter. On summer turnout it is generally half that as he's in a lot less.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Free straw for most and I’ve recently found some new snows shavings from Mole valley for my horse with a dust allergy. They are massive/heavy bales of small flake which I like for about £8
He’s got a big bed to the door with banks and I top up with half a bale twice a week.
Loving these shavings as previous brands his bed wasn’t as nice on two bales a week.

oldie48

Visit site
I use straw pellets on rubber matting, Little Fatty is the tidiest ever and I use about half a bag a month (huge stable though), Rose is a bit more mucky but I skip out before I go to bed and I guess we use 2 bags a months. I pay about £5.50 per bag. I do have decent beds covering about half of the stable which is 14x14 perhaps a bit bigger. Most of the stable waste goes on the garden eventually (big garden). I think I get off very cheaply. I do like the straw pellets, they don't give you a nice white bed but they do break down well in the garden, better then wood pellets.

thommackintosh

Visit site
8 small square bales of straw a month (on rubber mats). He's mucked out fully in the morning and skipped out in the evening. Thankfully he usually uses one side of his bed for sleeping and the other for his business so it's an easy task. And at only £4 a bale, I'm not complaining. Roll on spring though for some turnout ;)

Malibu_Stacy

Visit site
2.5 bales a week between 3 stables of unbranded, heat sealed (so smaller bales) shavings. Last year when I was using larger Hunter sized bales I got through 2 a week. Mine are all pretty clean though and I am *very* thorough when mucking out.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I don't even want to work it out! After some experimenting I think The Beast needs 4 bags of wood pellets a week... at £5.80 a bag (the yard sells them now otherwise £6.60 from Pets at Home). Fortunately Granny just needs 1 Easibed a week and that is in with her livery cost at the moment. It's expensive to buy a separate bag from the yard though... I think they get stung with a substantial delivery charge up here cos I don't think they are making a huge profit per bag.

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
I think the OP got her sums wrong! Even at £7 a bag which is the lower end, thats £28 a week which is £121 a month!

Sorry guys (fair play for noticing!) Incorrectly I wrote 4 bales a week, I was being blonde and typing to quickly! I go through 4 bales of shavings per month for 2 geldings. I use Hunters which are £12 a bale so approx £48 a month. One average and one very clean horse.

I find if I use cheaper brands I use twice as much shavings and even though they're a few pound a bale cheaper it works out more expensive. Hunters are so compact and I put in half a bale per horse each week. Their beds are a decent size, with thick rubber matting.

When they were in 24/7 at my previous yard I was on wood pellets, went through 130 bags in 5 months! Don't want to work that one out.