• £5000 - £10000

Votes: 38 15.1%
  • £10000 +

Votes: 8 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

canteron

Visit site
When I last went shopping I had a £10000 max budget - but ended up with a £2000 horse my husband fell in love with (and have subsequently spent another £2000 on professional schooling, heyhoe). What is the average amount spent on a horse in reality - and do you think that horse are rather randomly priced?

skint1

Visit site
Various prices from £1- around £4k. I am at the lower end of the market I guess, but it seems to me there doesn't seem to be any set pattern to how horses are priced. In my various trawls I've seen a lot of adverts for horses where they're priced £30k and yet they don't look (on paper) that demonstrably different from ones I've seen up for £7k, but then I am not in that market so have no idea wht the criteria would be, I guess ultimately if your horse isn't priced right for the market you're aiming for, it won't sell.

Mule

Visit site
Mine was zero as he was born in a rescue centre. (I did give a donation) I didn't get him straight from the centre but from the person who originally fostered him. Back then the charity didn't sell their horses so I fostered him until they changed their policy a few years ago. (Arty photo of him)Screenshot_20191027-202651.jpg

Last edited:

FlyingCircus

Visit site
£3000 for my (then) 7yr old 15hh connemara who could do a nice dressage test, jump courses up to 1.10 or so. Never said no to a jump. Hunts, fun rides, the lot. He was a total bargain and I'd never part with him despite having been offered substantially more for him.

£1250 for my 4yr old Welsh D. 14.2 pure sass! Not backed and nothing done with her before she came to me so total blank canvas. Added benefit is she's a pretty colour too (pally).

Pippity

Visit site
I had a significantly higher budget than what I actually spent. However, what I was looking for usually came in at £2-3k. Adding another couple of £k to that didn't get me a 'better' version of what I was looking for - just a bigger version of what I wanted, or a horse that did a completely different job.

ihatework

Visit site
All the ones I have had sole ownership of have been somewhere between £1 and £5500.

I have had part ownership of others, all of whom were valued in 5 figures

oldie48

Visit site
Tbh I think average of anything is pretty meaningless and with horses there are lots of different things you are taking into consideration ie age, conformation, breeding, comp record or not, the amount of schooling/time it's had, etc etc. I always have a maximum budget but I've never spent it. I bought Rose for just a little more than a third of the price that she had been sold subject to vetting in early 2016. she failed the vetting and stood in a field for nearly three years. I have no idea if I paid the right price or not but I am happy with her and that's the main thing. My horses are not an investment I just hope they turn out to be safe and sound.

Snowfilly

Visit site
Most was £2,000 for the clydesdale. Best was £1,700 for the yellow horse who was perfect in every way aside from a thick tendon and a bunch of scars otherwise he'd have been a fortune. Being 14.3 on the stick helped keep his price down as well.

I've brought youngsters from drift sales, some for £5. A couple of them didn't make it but most of them went on to do PC stuff or drive.

I dream sometimes of a huge budget!

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
the most i have paid is £1900 in 2002 which included her turnout rug.....the least was £50 for a 13 year old 15 hands cob who had copd which could be managed and she turned out to be a diamond.... £250 for an 8 year old 16.,1 ex hunter in 1969...and again £250 for a 15 months part bred trakhener filly in 1978 who ended up at 16 hands ....all on the lower end as i have never had any money to splash out on a horse...

zaminda

Visit site
Mine have got cheaper over the years. My first pony was £1500 over 20 years ago, going down to £1000 for my first Arab 19 years ago. The next two were both £500, and the most recent was a freebie, picked up before she could be put down!
I have always bought horses that haven't done much, my preference would be for completely untouched so I am very much lower end, although I like a nicely bred one.

Jeni the dragon

Visit site
My daft mare cost me £465 twenty years ago! From the Fell pony sales, she hadn't sold in the ring so I bought her outside.
Morgan was £1500 with his tack and rugs last year.
I'm also part of a syndicate that owns a couple of eventer which cost considerably more than that!

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
My most successful pony in the show ring was the cheapest. £120 as a weanling. Had lots in the £300-500 range and two over £1000. Current one was £200 as a foal. The only previously broken pony was my first one and that was questionable!

Myloubylou

Visit site
I paid £3250 for my welsh d 14 years ago. Other than 1 autumn off with tendon injury she’s given me years of joy and is still being ridden so think she’s worth every penny and lots more.

Bernster

Visit site
Agree, seems like there is so much variety it’s difficult to get a meaningful average. I’ve paid what I thought was a fair price for all of mine and never felt like I overpaid. I thought Finnegan was a little over priced for what he was at the time, but the seller knew a good un.

cornbrodolly

Visit site
My girlie to the left was £400 as a foal off the Welsh mountains. She is priceless, now aged 5 - safe as houses,the sort that should be bred more often [ for us olds] However OH and myself have bought plenty of horses over the years - horses up to £7500, and have found that price and function rarely correspond. OH s best ever horse was a 2 for 1 foal with the brood mare - he grew up to be a fine horse in every respect. And it proved impossible to find another like him . But our rule is to buy as foals , and are about to get another one!

[118739]

Visit site
Current horse was in the low £2000s most expensive I’ve owned by far. She did however come with a million rugs of different weights, all travel wear, and full tack outfit (including new saddle.) I’d say if I’d bought her without that I’d be thinking I’ve over payed SLIGHTLY as she has some issues at 7yo. However, she has her head well and truly screwed on under saddle and is safe as houses to hack on roads which is v important where I am due to fast large traffic! So all in all am happy with price payed !

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
Absolute horse of a lifetime ex racehorse was given to me and is still dearly missed after nearly 20 years 💔

Little bollox of a Connemara was 80 Irish punts as a yearling - turned away and then cost an arm and leg to back & supposedly bring on at 5.

Had him home a couple of weeks & he was still very green - one fateful day he took off broncing in the field at home - I flew off & landed running - caught my foot in mud & crack - displaced break of ankle & leg 😱 6 months to fully recover & 7 years before I rode again.

He went back for more work & was sold on to a competitive home - jumped like a stag.

The Princess was €2,200 as a scrawny just backed 3 year old measuring 14.3.

Is now a strapping 15.3 beauty at 9 - home schooled - we had/have a fair few tantrums & airs above the ground along the way but she's worth every cent 😍