How much do you pay for lessons? Or how much do you expect to pa

Donnie Darco

Visit site
As per title really

I've just booked a lesson with a new trainer, the person is an experienced horseperson, but not classically trained IFGWIM and doesn't specifically teach one subject - more of an allrounder, and am just a bit shocked at the prices!

What would you expect to pay nowadays ?

It's been a couple of years since I had lessons so just a bit out of the loop :-/

TIA

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
£1 a minute for as long as i want (30,45 or 60 mins). Thats with an international GP rider.

know what you mean about more local/lower level prices though.....i only charge £20 an hour as want to be able to help people of all budgets but some of the people i see charging £30-£40 make me raise my eyebrows somewhat........

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I use a show producer qualified instructor in Kent she charges £32 an hour but as she is so far from me, I have used someone local she is qualified and charges £20 for half an hour so £40 for an hour, but someone I know charges £50 an hour and to be honest I got more out of the half hour with the other instructor than I did with the one that charges £50 for the full hour. My advice would be try a few local freelance instructors and stick with the one you feel you are getting the most from, just because someone is charging the most it does not mean they are the best.

I just wish I lived nearer to Kent as I prefer her way of teaching and get the most out of my lessons, but with a two hour or more journey both ways and the cost of diesel its not always possible.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
£1 a minute for as long as i want (30,45 or 60 mins). Thats with an international GP rider.

know what you mean about more local/lower level prices though.....i only charge £20 an hour as want to be able to help people of all budgets but some of the people i see charging £30-£40 make me raise my eyebrows somewhat........

God I wish you were local to me no one charges £20 an hour round here, and certainly not anyone riding at the standard you do you must have them queuing outside your gate, well done for that:)

Donnie Darco

Visit site
Thank you all

Yea I kind of was expecting to pay about £30ph (as I know that's what this person was charging earlier this year) but its now almost double that including travel to my yard. So much for a couple of lessons a month - at that sort of price it will be once a month!

Any recommendations for instructors please? We are in West Berkshire - have a school but no transport to travel to trainers. PM if you prefer.

Or where do you find people? We are on a private yard so no other liveries to ask.

Looking for help with general schooling really. Am not aiming for Badders or anything spectacular! I just want to be a better rider for my horse.

ihatework

Visit site
I expect to pay a minimum of £40 for 45 mins on the basis of me travelling to them, for the calibre of training. I also pay £70 for 45 mins ad hoc for extra training.

Doormouse

Visit site
I pay a BE accredited coach £25 per half hour and she is brilliant. She nearly always gives more than the half hour anyway and I find an hour is too long for my youngster anyway.

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
When I was training I charged £20 at hour which I deemed fair for most of the Novice riders/horses I was helping. I personally pay about a £1 a minute for either of the two trainers I used, money well spent. Group lessons round here seem to be between £30 and £60 which is value for money if you don't want an intense session.

ironhorse

Visit site
£35 for 45 mins with a very good dressage instructor - at our yard. individual sessions but based on him teaching at least 3 of us to make it worth his while travelling. We have this once a month and wish he would come more often.
Also £30 for 45 mins with a top reiner at his yard, individual session in indoor school.
Would love some shared sessions as horsey enjoys company but have to go to clinics further afield for that, vary in price but average about £50 a day for two sessions.

monte1

Visit site
God I wish you were local to me no one charges £20 an hour round here, and certainly not anyone riding at the standard you do you must have them queuing outside your gate, well done for that:)

echo that, me too!
sadly you are far far away :)
really lovely to hear about someone wanting to help even those of us at lower levels to improve without breaking the bank ;-)

Farma

Visit site

Ps can i ask if you are insured to teach? I charge the same whilst qualifying but not insured and am thinking the insurance cost will have to factor in when I do?

noname

Visit site
I paid £67.50 for Blyth tait clinic including course hire (group of 4 & 1.5hrs).
Also a GB team trainer was £75 at their own place for a private lesson. Local instructors are much cheaper. £20-30.

We do lessons with a BHSI in our riding club for £15.

If they do not have BHS / ABRS or UKCC you may well have insurance issues so please be careful.

Kati*89

Visit site
I pay £30 for 45mins + talking time :) dressage trainer and rider, she has ridden internationally as a young rider and has a very good name for herself, she is a beautiful rider too, so I know if I ever needed it she would do a lovely job riding him for me. Another lady on my yard pays £35 for her instructor, older, more experience I suppose, travels to her though.

leflynn

Visit site
£25 for a shared 45 mins at home with one (flat), £45 away with another (flat) and £35 away for jumping (45 mins), would rather pay a bit more and be happy with the person teaching me than going for the cheapest :D

blood_magik

Visit site
New flatwork trainer charges £24 for 30 mins or £36 for 45 mins.
Jump trainer charges £60 for 45 minute private or £40 for 60 minute semi-private.

We get a lot of visiting instructors holding clinics at the yard and they generally charge £60 for 45 mins. I used to pay £36 for a 45 minute private lesson at my last yard.

Last edited:

daffy44

Visit site
I charge £30 (45mins) if the rider can come to me, £35(45mins) if i travel to them, and reduced rates for Riding Club clinics and group lessons. I think that a fair price, i have insurance, valid first aid and child protection certs, and a UKCC qualification.

HayleyUK

Visit site
I pay £25 for a list 3 judge; i go to her or £30 for a trainee judge who happens to get the measure of my mare pretty well and works with her rather than not and she comes to me.

Twiglet

Visit site
£20 for hour with BHSI yard owner (plus benefit of her knowing me and the horse better than visiting trainers) but obviously it's much more convenient for her
£45 for BE accredited/4* rider trainer (albeit his 2 hour + travel costs split between everyone having lessons)
£40 for hour lessons at international SJ rider's yard

NinjaPony

Visit site
I pay £30 for 45 mins or so. My instructor is a judge, and has years of experience plus rides at PSG so I'm happy to pay- she is brilliant!

MyDogIsAnIdiot

Visit site
I was paying £20 for 45 mins. It was supposed to be £40 but instructor dropped the price for me as I was having 2 lessons a week and he's brilliant.

Ridden/trained horses up to GP, trained with an ex-pupil of Reiner Klimkes'. Very much classical dressage oriented but he's got a wealth of knowledge and really understands my mares need for rewards - and he's always got sugar cubes so she loves him :).

star

Visit site
I pay £60 for half an hour SJ with Chris Burton at his yard but he is an Olympic 4* eventer and worth every penny.

For dressage I pay £45 for 45mins with trainer at her yard or £60 for same time down the road at Merrist Wood. By the time you take diesel into account they both work out about the same. She is a List 2 judge and rides up to Intermediaire.

Group clinics I expect to pay around £40 for an hour.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
I pay £40/hr at our yard, with an eventer. We also have regular "clinics" with a SJer, that costs £25/hr to share with one other, or £20 if sharing with 2. I think those are pretty reasonable rates. My ex-sharer was paying just £25 for approx 45 mins but didn't get any real instruction IMO.