How much do you spend per year on horsey clothing for yourself?

How much do you spend on riding clothing per YEAR?

• Total voters

chestnutx

Visit site
How much per year do you spend on your own horsey clothing wardrobe (jods, breeches, jackets etc...)?

I hardly ever buy new stuff and was wondering if perhaps I was unusual? I am 34 so perhaps its my age? I don't really shop much for normal clothes either as most of my money goes on the horses and my kids!!

If you take part please comment with your age (rough age bracket if you prefer ;-))

We've been having this discussion at work and I say that horsey people are much happier to spend money on their horses than themselves, even if it is horsey clothes so wondering if I'm right.

TelH

Visit site
I'm 41 and spend very little apart from on wellies- not that I have a weird obsession or anything, I just seem to destroy them on a very regular basis and wellies full of water are no fun :( I probably get through 3 pairs in an average winter, it doesn't matter whether I spend £10 or £100 on a pair, I kill them all the same :(

caras mum

Visit site
Nothing and I'm 35. I have one pair of black jods for endurance and that's it. Just wear jeans and normal clothes the rest of the time. After three years at an equine college asking why we wear jods and never been given a satisfactory answer, I realised it was just a stupid throw back to ye olden days of swords etc. That old closer contact thing answer just doesn't hold true for me. Jeans or joggers everytime, so no money spent.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Pretty much nothing at all; I have everything that I need for riding and mucking out stuff is basically just old, disposable stuff anyway. Oh, and I'm old enough to be past the need to look good........

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
Nothing and I'm 35. I have one pair of black jods for endurance and that's it. Just wear jeans and normal clothes the rest of the time. After three years at an equine college asking why we wear jods and never been given a satisfactory answer, I realised it was just a stupid throw back to ye olden days of swords etc. That old closer contact thing answer just doesn't hold true for me. Jeans or joggers everytime, so no money spent.
If you were a racing professional you would ride out in good quality breeches, chaps and good short boots or good strong long boots, this is for comfort and for safety: holding a half ton of horse at 35mph on the stirrup leathers, you would ensure you were fully kitted out, including gloves and a skull cap. Most trainers also recommend back protectors these days.
Jeans are fine for casual riding on a nice day, but if they get wet or rub you will regret it. Most of the girls at the RS wear boots [often spending £200 a time!], and breeches, they look quite smart and are practical imho.

Last edited:

caras mum

Visit site
If you were a racing professional you would ride out in good quality breeches, chaps and good short boots or good strong long boots, this is for comfort and for safety: holding a half ton of horse at 35mph on the stirrup leathers, you would ensure you were fully kitted out, including gloves and a skull cap. Most trainers also recommend back protectors these days.
Jeans are fine for casual riding on a nice day, but if they get wet or rub you will regret it. Most of the girls at the RS wear boots [often spending £200 a time!], and breeches, they look quite smart and are practical imho.

Racing was never for me, I could never keep my weight low enough consistently ;-) I've never been rubbed and often ride in the rain(i'm in scotland, comes with the territory)no probs at all. But then that what I'm use to and what ever you're use to is what your most comfortable wearing. I think on a lot of yards it's much more about 'the look' than anything else. Each to the own.

Lillybob

Visit site
I'm 19 and other than a one off when I had to but a load of new stuff for uni, I barely buy anything! I'm happy to wear jeans and wellies. The only time I wear jods is when I'm actually riding and I have 3 or 4 pairs so that'll do me

zaminda

Visit site
I work in racing, and do wear breeches, although a lot of the lads wear jeans. Body protectors are now mandatory, and mine will need replacing this year, as it is falling apart. I will also replace my hat this year, as it is 3 years old, and although I haven't landed on it, I like to replace them every 3 years or so. Interestingly when I was in Oz, the racing industry in one state insisted on it. I probably buy one new pair of breeches a year at least, as they don't last for ever, and 3 pairs of boots and chaps. I like to have a nice pair for competing mine, and an everyday set. My feet are very small, so can only buy children's boots which I don't think last as well. I went with over £400 as that will be it for this year, but is usually closer to £300, as I also seem to need a new set of waterproofs, and at least one new pair of gloves. I'm 33.

booandellie

Visit site
I'm 39 and apart from a one off special purchase of an air jacket this year i don't spend anything on my own horsey gear- i do however have an extensive crimbo list so i get the things i need and want as presents! funnily enough i was supposed to be buying myself a new dress for a big family do but after missy was being attacked by horseflies on mondays hack i have spent the money on a flyrider and veil and instead, needless to say she doesn't go without anything!

NZJenny

Visit site
I hate spending money on work (office) clothes, but will happily shell out NZ$200 for a new pair of breeches. When we had a country themed work party a few weeks ago, I was spoiled for choice. Finding a little black party dress on the other hand ....

rara007

Visit site
I don't buy many clothes, but most I do are multipurpose :eek: Have only bought one sale shirt so far this year, last year I bought a gilet and a musto coat but I use that for work too.

rara007

Visit site

Tbh most the yards that use warren hill have people riding out in jeans and short boots! Not been to many other gallops in the UK.

dibbin

Visit site
I'd rather not count it up! I go to Olympia every year so normally spend between £50 and £100 there, this year I also bought a new show shirt and new long boots (they were second hand and a bargain) ...

fathorselover

Visit site
I'm 31, id say i spend no more than 150 a year on my own horsey attire. I buy pretty much everything at car boot sales/ebay. I am a seamstress so easily able to adjust to fit!

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
whoops when I saw the thread in the list only the 1st part showed under the list of new threads, so i put £300+ but thought it meant

How-much-do-you-spend-per-year-on-horsey

then voted and realised it meant clothing where I spend max of £ 50 as I HATE buying clothes for myself

Summer pudding

Visit site
I can't resist at least one jacket every year....one waterproof, one fleece, one gilet, one quilted....and always wear breeches round the yard as they are more comfortable, and wash better than jeans and don't need ironing. But this is less than the 9 or so shoeings I pay for every year.

Pie's mum

Visit site
I spend quite a lot - I'm a sucker for Ariat and Tottie - but I also love a bargain so I get a lot from equestrian.com.

Vodkagirly

Visit site
I was going to say under £50 but then if I include boots, it turns in to more like £500. Eeek how did that happen.

glamourpuss

Visit site
I like to look nice. This extends to when I'm riding. Some months I will spend £100's of pounds other months not much.....same as with my other clothes.
Even though I'm on my own I wouldn't dream of riding in tracksuit bottoms [shudder] (mind you I'd be very unlikely to be wearing them anyway 😂) ir similar.
...mind you I'm perfectly happy to do the school run in my lovely breeches (even if the other parents look at me like I'm insane!!)

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
I seem to get through boots but apart from that very little. Mind you, I do have about 30 pairs of jodhs and breeches - some of them about thirty years old and still perfect. I don't find the modern ones to be such good quality material.

RubysGold

Visit site
Im 25 and spend very little on clothing for me, horsey or not.
I prefer spending money on the horses.

last weekend I bought two pairs of jodhpurs because my old ones look really bad now.
I have to buy a new pair of boots every winter, I normally buy muckers at about £25-30 a time.
I occasionally will buy a new top if its in the sale. or a coat when mine get tatty.

Think overall, Id say im in the 50-100 category

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
Why did you post this? Ignorance is bliss :D

I tend to buy just a couple of items a year that are expensive... forking our for a new hat , body protector and air jacket soon so that will be painful. And then bits and bobs such as gloves, jods, pretty shirts.... I need new boots and chaps as my lovely long boots that cost too much no longer fit since I broke my foot :(

I hate this thread.

AmieeT

Visit site
I think this last year I've spent in the region of £700, £189 of it on a Mountain Horse waterproof jacket and £289 on my Bromonts. Although it's a lot I consider it money well spent, as those things should last me a good number of years. The rest would be things like gillets, breeches, socks, shirts etc.

I'm not one to generally make big purchases, but I didn't have any long boots nor did I have a waterproof riding jacket.

Ax

little_critter

Visit site
I put £50-£100 because I reckon I buy 1 pair of breeches per year plus maybe a coat every other year or so.
Mind you I forgot about boots (are you counting footwear?) I probably get through a pair of wellies every other year and riding boots every 3-4 years.