How much does conformation matter in your opinion?

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
If you were looking at a horse that wasn't 100% conformationally correct yet ticked all the boxes in all other areas how much would the conformation sway you with regards to your decision?

I only ask this because I've been mulling it over since buying my new horse. He is goose rumped and croup high - see photos below (not brilliant as I was just taking a few pics of him munching grass!). He also has a slight ewe neck. He is a 6 yr old who has only hunted since the previous owners bought him as a just 4 year old. He has also come from a home where there are no hills and he wouldn't be ridden much between hunting every Saturday. So no schooling or being made to work properly. He does ride quite on the forehand as I found out the hard way cantering round the school!!

He has an amazing jump and height is clearly not an issue considering he jumped a 5.5ft upright post and rails out of his field the other day and didn't touch it!! I love how he jumps - it makes me feel safe and he gets better the bigger it is.

We have lots of hills for him to work up and flatwork lessons start next week. He has already changed shape quite dramatically. Should have taken a pic of him when he first arrived 5 weeks ago.

Anyway I know that people don't like croup high or goose rumped horses but really, in the grand scheme of things, how is it likely to affect the horse who hunts, does low level tc's & ht's? He fits the bill in so many respects - fab at home, out exercising, loads, goes to parties happily, hunts brilliantly, jumps, isn't sharp (well not yet at least!) and is generally a dude hence why I'm not that concerned about him not being 100% anatomically correct.

Hence why I ask how much conformation affects your decision when buying a horse? How much are you willing to compromise if you find a nearly perfect horse?!!!

Lolo

Visit site
Smokey's over at the knee, got long pasterns and is a tiny bit sickle-hocked. But he's straight moving, sound and has an awesome jump. And Al loved him the moment she sat on him... So really, not as much as it probably should!

TheMule

Visit site
As long as theyre athletic and have decent limbs below the knee, I dont really care what they look like! My mare is ugly as they come but a wonderful jumper.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
As an average rider, for me the fit of horse personality and aptitude is more important that how they are put together (within reason obv ;))

My mare sounds a bit like your horse. She was also 6 when I got her, upside down neck and bum high. She has built the right muscles now but is still an inch higher behind than in front, she's also fairly long so I know I have to keep on top of her to maintain strength behind the saddle. But it definitely hasn't been her limiting factor :) (that title goes to me :eek:)

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
The physio did comment on his long back the other day but in a way I'd prefer a slightly longer back than a very short coupled horse - had one of them with a big shoulder and that combined with my long leg from hip to knee (ironic considering I'm nearly a midget!!) meant it was an absolute ****** to fit a saddle to. This horse also has a big shoulder as well so I need a saddle that accommodates both his shoulder and my leg which a bit of a long back can do. See how I turn a supposed negative into a positive?!!!!

lindsayH

Visit site
I think it very much depends on which fault you're talking about. Unless I was looking for a horse to compete at a fairly high level (or to show!), I wouldn't mind a fault such as a bit of a ewe neck or a large head or a thick set neck or an upright shoulder. However I would never buy something that was long backed or had any limb issues (straight hocks, turned out toes etc). In my experience, poor conformation usually causes a problem sooner or later.

Your boy looks adorable!

millitiger

Visit site
I'm an absolute stickler for good limbs and feet but beyond that if the horse is athletic and scopey and I get on with it, I'll forgive most other faults as long as they aren't too glaring/likely to affect the horse's soundness.

TarrSteps

Visit site
Conformation has to be taken in context and it has to be functional. How the parts fits together and how the horse uses them is as important - if not more important - that the quality of each individual part. (Within reason, of course.)

From those photos, the horse will always struggle to come off his forehand, which is not necessarily here or there for your needs. The only thing is, as discussed on the "piaffe" thread is that attempts to "improve" his way of going to a more ideal objective will stress other parts of his body, most notably his SI/hind limbs. This isn't necessarily a problem, per se, but it does mean you have to be realistic and empathetic about what you can achieve and at which point improving his flat work comes with a diminishing return with regards to stress on his joints etc. I'm not saying don't try to improve him, of course not. Just that how much he improves IS determined by his conformation, not just his training, and you have to be careful to endanger his good points in the service of improving his less desirable ones. At 6 he should not be too set in his ways, though. :)

All that said, he sounds like a real dude and almost perfect for your needs. Remember too that conformation and soundness exist in the larger context. A horse with a good mind, that is easy to ride and doesn't require a lot of drilling or hard riding, will last a lot longer than one the needs to work harder, all else being equal.

If he's a horse that makes you smile and you enjoy riding him, that goes a long way.

emmab13

Visit site
I can put up with lots of conformation faults when buying one to sell on, I have a few deal-breakers that I would always leave where I found them. Very straight hocks are asking for hind limb trouble. Very upright forelegs or back at the knee are asking for forelimb lameness.

I don't mind over at the knee or slightly sickle hocked, as I've found those angles tend not to cause lameness. I don't mind 'ugly' as long as they operate, as a lot can be fixed with a correct way of going and a nice bridle!

maxine1985

Visit site
All that said, he sounds like a real dude and almost perfect for your needs. Remember too that conformation and soundness exist in the larger context. A horse with a good mind, that is easy to ride and doesn't require a lot of drilling or hard riding, will last a lot longer than one the needs to work harder, all else being equal.

Never thought about it like that, but you make a very good point!!

el_Snowflakes

Visit site
A vet once told me that its how the horse copes with its conformation that is important (obviously within reason) I also attended an evening with mark Todd where he showed the audience how to choose good sport horses & he said himself that attitude came further up the list than 100% perfect conformation :D

A Musing

Visit site
Conformation has to be taken in context and it has to be functional. How the parts fits together and how the horse uses them is as important - if not more important - that the quality of each individual part. (Within reason, of course.)

From those photos, the horse will always struggle to come off his forehand, which is not necessarily here or there for your needs. The only thing is, as discussed on the "piaffe" thread is that attempts to "improve" his way of going to a more ideal objective will stress other parts of his body, most notably his SI/hind limbs. This isn't necessarily a problem, per se, but it does mean you have to be realistic and empathetic about what you can achieve and at which point improving his flat work comes with a diminishing return with regards to stress on his joints etc. I'm not saying don't try to improve him, of course not. Just that how much he improves IS determined by his conformation, not just his training, and you have to be careful to endanger his good points in the service of improving his less desirable ones. At 6 he should not be too set in his ways, though. :)

If he's a horse that makes you smile and you enjoy riding him, that goes a long way.

Wish there was a like button!

Nightmare before Christmas

Visit site
I think its important when looking for a horse as I never want to buy trouble but it doent make a good horse, just avoids some injuries. Some traits help with a specific disapline though. I like a good foot. I lost my last horse, his confo was outwardly good (maybe a little long in the pastern) but his internal confo when looked at under MRI was pants. Suspensory abnormalities that lead to him being PTS at 5 years. Its a gamble but although the vets say its unrelated I wouldnt buy another horse with long pasterns again

Luci07

Visit site
Goose rump is not really relevant and at 6 he may even out with being a little croup high. My 6 year old has just gone a little croup high..again but I expect him to level out. Although if he doesn't stop growing he is going to have feed sacks left on his back at all times! He has grown 3" in a year! I think you buy the best you can with a good view on the job you want the horse to do and agree that temperament is so important. I would walk away from straight hocks, long sloping pasterns and a roach back but I want to event at a low level and those traits would not help my horse.

windand rain

Visit site
It is vital to me as I show mine but I did own eventers and showjumpers before and they often had conformation blips. Goose rump is supposed to be a sign of a good jumper.
A croup high, downhill horse will struggle with dressage but it depends on the level you want to do
Trainability and temperament must come pretty much at the top of any casual riders horse choice with conformation high but not necessarily top of that list

anuvb

Visit site
Depends on so much - what you want the horse for, whether they make you smile, whether or not there is a physical issue etc.

For me I first have to like the look of a horse - that doesn't mean it has to be perfect it just has to have something about it that I like. The next is how it moves, and then whether or not I think it can do the job I need it to. If there are confirmation faults then I will make a judgement based on the outcome of the above.

I do mainly dressage so for me something build uphill and able to carry itself is pretty important. BUT I have previously had horses which are over at the knee, had a slightly twisted front leg, horses which are unevenly muscled, slightly rotated pelvis, and so on. None have had a detrimental impact on the horses way of going, most have been balanced out by schooling. And all the horses have gone on to have happy healthy long competitive lives up to a reasonable amateur level.

MollyMoomin

www.petandanimalfeeds.co.uk
Was it Ryan's Son who had hideous conformation but he did what he needed to when it mattered?

My horse is a cob (shock!) who is VERY bum high - she has a good 2 inch difference between front end & back end but due to an amazing instructor it hasn't stopped us competing successfully up to Elementary dressage. Instructor is adamant she'd get to Advanced (!!) but as I am on maternity leave now & she the cob is 15, it probably ain't gonna happen now. BUT she has the most amazing 'I'll try' attitude which has propelled her past some of the theoretically more correct (in both conformation & breed) horses on our yard.

So what I'm trying to say is, if the horse is willing to say how high when you put him at a jump & you're able to work within his conformational restrictions (if there are any!) then it wouldn't put me off him. Just be aware that if he's built downhill, if he starts bucking, you're at a disadvantage already ;) I sit very straight now LOL, especially in canter transitions!

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
So if buyers are put off by conformation issues, who ends up buying the horses? There must be tons and tons that are originally big money but people won't take a punt on them so who do they go to?!!

Just realised that all sounds a bit random but OH and I have just been discussing it!!