How Much For This Service?

cowgirl16

Visit site
As per title - I'm on DIY with assistance, 3 turnouts and 1 bring in per week depending on my working hours. Horse is brought in or turned out, rug changed, feed given (already made up by me). That's all - no feet picked/ bowls washed etc. I pay £1.50 per time for this, which seems the going rate for these parts (private yard in Somerset.) Now I have to go to a funeral shortly, about a gillion miles away, which means I'm out the whole day and will need a day's full care. I'm just wondering what this is likely to cost me? Full care will be - give breakfast (already made up), change rug, turn out, muck out (never a pleasant experience - but then the poor little sod is shut in his stable for about 18 hours), refill 2 haynets (one wetted), clean and refill water trug, put extra small amount of hay in stable, wash out feed bowl. Then p.m. - bring in, change rug, give tea (already made up), and wash feed bowl. That's about it really. If I offered £10 would that be insulting?

be positive

Visit site
I am in Somerset and would charge 10 to do that for an assisted livery, it might be more if it was a horse I did not normally assist with.

Merlod

Visit site
Could you ask your yo? If she doesn't normally assist or has to pay staff to do it then i'd expect it to be more.

sorry, didn't read your pricing properly - cheaper than mine!

Last edited:

be positive

Visit site
They are already doing a feed, rug change, turn out for 1.50 so should not suddenly double that charge, if they add 6 to muck out and 4 to do waters, hay etc that would be fair, if the feed bowls get left unwashed it is not the end of the world, it is down to the YO but by offering 10 it shows the OP is not expecting it for nothing.

That is about 20 mins work if the field is not far.

windand rain

Visit site
Full Livery divided by 7 so I would expect it to be a bit more than a tenner to be honest dont know many places that do full livery for £70 per week I would offer at least 15 if you are asked or you will have to pay whatever they asked for if they are deciding how much they want

Carrottom

Visit site
Full Livery divided by 7 so I would expect it to be a bit more than a tenner to be honest dont know many places that do full livery for £70 per week I would offer at least 15 if you are asked or you will have to pay whatever they asked for if they are deciding how much they want
I get your reasoning, but full livery includes bedding, forage and feed which is not in this calculation, I would think 10 is fair if the person is there anyway. If they had to make an extra trip to the yard I would offer more.

SEL

Visit site
I'm on assisted livery as my normal, which includes a turnout or bring-in at one end of the day, with a rug change, feet clean and feed as required. If they need to go on full livery for a day then its an extra £10 - the majority of which is towards the muck-out.

kc921

Visit site
I was charged £5 a day for the whole lot, maximum I've ever paid for Full livery for a day is £8, I wouldn't expect to pay anymore than that :)

Sealine

Visit site
I'm on DIY and if I'm on holiday or away on business I pay £10 day for turn out and bring in, prepare feeds, muck out, soak hay, water. No rug changes required. I'm in Herts and think it's a fair price to pay.

kc921

Visit site
I was on DIY (Now moved to Grass livery) the £5 a day was the same as above without the soaking of hay and the £8 a day at another yard I was at would've been with a rug change. I'm based in West Sussex

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
No idea about prices, but do you really clean out the food bowl twice a day?
I rinse mine out after every use.
Same as water bucket is cleaned round daily before refilling, if fuzzies are only in at night.

OP, I'd say a tenner is a good start, poss 12.50 tops as no feet picking or bucket washing.

Jasper151

Visit site
It will be very yard dependant. One yard I worked at charged £25 a day for full livery and another £15. When I was freelancing some were charged at an hourly rate and others at a fixed fee. Tended to work out at £8-£15 a day depending on how messy the horses were.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
I also wash my feed buckets out after every feed and water buckets are scrubbed once a day. They get poo, hay and bedding in them and go slimy very quickly.

When my boys are out at night and in during the day I pay a freelance lady £15 a day to skip out, bring in, turn out and do feet. Everything is ready and there are no rug changes. When they are in at night it's £20 a day as there is more to do.

only_me

Visit site
I rinse mine out after every use.
Same as water bucket is cleaned round daily before refilling, if fuzzies are only in at night.

OP, I'd say a tenner is a good start, poss 12.50 tops as no feet picking or bucket washing.

Wash as in properly scrub or rinse with hose? Clean = scrubed properly to me.

I rinse the bowls but wouldn’t actually clean the feed bowls twice a day. Water bucket is always clean, never mentioned anything about that - I’d expect that to be done...

Cowpony

Visit site
At our place they charge £4.50 for turnout and £5.50 to bring in. Fields are a 10 minute walk up the road, so not a quick job.

Reactions: DD

Theocat

Visit site
Wash as in properly scrub or rinse with hose? Clean = scrubed properly to me.

I rinse the bowls but wouldn’t actually clean the feed bowls twice a day. Water bucket is always clean, never mentioned anything about that - I’d expect that to be done...

I always cleaned my feed bowls until they were spotless. Sometimes that just meant a hose off if nothing had dried on, sometimes it needed a scrub. I would do the outsides as well. If I was making several feeds up and stacking the buckets, they were dried with a towel before I started...