how much hay have you gone thru this winter?

pegasus1986

Visit site
I worked out for my 5 horses ive gone thru 15 large hayladge bales, 5 big round hay bales and 2 7ft long hesston bales. Theyve been out during the day and in at night most the winter apart from couple weeks in 24/7 for torrential rain that flooded the field.
Im very lucky in the fact i can pay my hay bill off monthly and only got couple months left of paying.
Do any of you guys pay off monthly , pay as and when you get it or a large pay off at once???
And as from the weekend the fields dryed enough to put them in the summer field and start leaving them out now yay!!

scots

Visit site
Unfortunately pay as I buy

Used 30 small bales of hay, 15 small bales of haylage and a large bale of haylage since beginning of December!

So about £225 worth!

RhaLoulou

Visit site
My two have gone through 12 big round bales I bought 10 in advance delivered on demand by friendly farmer getting them a different source now.

DragonSlayer

Visit site
We bought 24 large round ones for 5 horses, got four left...... :eek:

I do hope it cheers up soon so the grass actually starts to grow in the paddocks we use for spring!

navaho

Visit site
34 big big round bales of haylage, 20 big round bales of hay, 8 large square bales of haylage & just used another 5 big round bales of hay from another supplier.....& we need more as of tomorrow.

Em123

Visit site
800 bales of hay, 46 small horsehage and approx 500 bales of shavings since September
Hard Feed bills have been about £900 PCM :'(

Brightbay

Visit site
11 1/2 large round bales of hay and 1 large round bale of haylage between 4 horses.

Got first bale in at start of December when we had a heavy snow fall. Fed during the snow, then didn't need to feed til start of January as the 9 acre field had plenty of grass.

It has absolutely none now, and no signs of growth. I have a further bale in the barn ready to go when the current one finishes. We use about 1 large round bale a week and they are fed in the field.

I expect I'll be ordering another two when these ones are finished, I can't see there being enough grass for the 4 of them until end of April now.

kellybee

Visit site
I have two small horses and a shetland... had 60 small hay in Oct and another 20 in dec, then 5 large rounds. Totalled £300. Probably order another 2 large rounds this month to cope til the grass comes through and use over summer if needed. That'll be another £70

maxapple

Visit site
Far too much :( currently using 7-8 bales a week for my 2 horses who are in at night. We're in the se so it's £5 a bale (I can't buy in bulk as I have limited storage)

So I guess that works out at about £150 a month. That's on top of livery, bedding and feed.

Archangel

Visit site
Started feeding mid December as grass went early (usually have grass left until Christmas) so 2 horses - 12 big bales haylage, 15 small bales so far.

3Beasties

Visit site
10 big square bales of haylage, 20 small bales of hay and 6 or 7 big round bales of hay. Only feeding 2 horses!

glamourpuss

Visit site
I bought 8 large bales of haylage in October, got a bit ripped off as that came in at £600
End of December I found another supplier & bought 8 medium bales of haylage & a large round of hay - £260
End of January another 8 medium bales of haylage & 2 large rounds of hay - £300
Was hoping that would see me through until grass came through & I could move onto just hay when in at night but no :(
Beginning March 10 small bales of hay
Now I'm buying small bales of haylage a week at a time because I can't bring myself to do another big order.
So far I've bought 11 at £70
So for 2 large horses & a pony I've bought
8 large bales of haylage
16 medium bales of haylage
11 small bales if haylage
3 large rounds of hay
10 small bales of hay
Total cost £1,260 I could weep :(

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I've used one big bale of haylage every 7-10 days for my two since the end of Sept, but they are in at night, and on a hardcore turnout area with nets during the day too. I had to have small bales delivered this month, as the lorry with the haylage couldn't get through the dug out drifts, so we had to trailer small bales through on our little trailer, which made it more expensive this month.

SmallHunter

Visit site
10 small bales a week lol between 2 horses but the big lad eats most of it because he gets a bale a day.

So around 250 bales.

A&C

Visit site
This winter we have used about 8 (?) large rectangle bales of hay.
One horse is in at night time, the pony has one small haynet a day.

maisie06

Visit site
Not as much as some!! I didn't feed any to the two that live out until christmas as I managed to grow and save loads of grass, one good thing about the wet summer!! I estimate I have used around 50 small bales, plus a few small bale haylage to 3 native type ponies, all in good condition, 2 are verging towards too good so have been cut down again:p

acorn2008

Visit site
approx 100 small bales and 1 large round bale, for a 14.1 new forest and a 15.1 cob x, probably still need to get some more :(

Old Bat

Visit site
Just coming up to the end of 150 small hay bales for 4 then 3 ponies since mid September at £4 a bale, organic hay from neighbour. I'll have to source some more within the next 2 weeks and no grass on any of 4 small paddocks and 2 x 2 acre fields. Never known a winter like it!

Pipkin

Visit site
40 big bales and am currently on bale 183 of small haylage, going through 4 bales a day between 6

Enfys

Visit site
I have lost count to be honest, at least 30 round bales (big ones) a month and I have been feeding since November.

Nicnac

Visit site
A month ago I finished my annual hay which usually lasts me through the winter when they are in at night and through the summer being fed from April to September only when out competing.

I ordered another 30 small bales and will have to do so again soon.

2 horses usually have plenty of grass until January in winter field but have already trashed 4 fields with a 2 acre one left for next month.