How much hay?

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Sorry. I know literally nothing.

2 horses. 700kg and 500kg. In at night. Out during day but not much grass left already. How long is a large round bale of hay likely to last?... assume hay will be given in the field as well.

ihatework

Visit site
Depends how heavy the bale is
Depends how much you need to feed which will be dependant on the grass, weather, their weight, their appetite
Sorry not to be more helpful!
You can estimate it yourself, if you find the bale weight and calculate it on a % of their weight etc

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
My two 5-600kg horses have almost no grass during the day during winter and are fed ad lib overnight (5pm to 7am)
A pretty standard big round lasts me on average 10 days between the 2 of them on this regime, I'm not allowed to hay them outside.

Polos Mum

Visit site
A 5ft round (the bigger ones) I guestimate at about 10-12 small bales (depending on how tightly it's baled)

Now - it's above 10 degrees and bits of grass - assuming both horses are good condition I'd guess 2/3 of a bale a day if feeding in field too. So 8-9 days for the two

In Jan when it's cold, and hay is their only fibre source then I'd be up to a bale each a day (I hate them to be without food) so 5 days per round bale.

If they are fat then feed straw as an alternative - although it's not much cheaper in some areas

blitznbobs

Visit site
I have (had)2 bigs and two tinies a big bale lasts me 5 days in the middle of winter and up to 2 weeks in the summer months ... on average I use one every 10 days

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I have 2 small horses and a round bale is lasting me between 10 to 14 days at the moment, but I do give them a strip of fresh grass every few weeks so for a few days until it's eaten down they don't get as much hay.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
700kg is in need of a bit of weight loss. 500kg is in good condition but is 22 years old... however she doesn't eat a lot and has always been a good doer.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
At the moment I'm feeding yard hay and was feeding some haylage but the latest haylage bale is seriously dodgey and has put me off and the hay will run out eventually... so just considering options. Thanks for the input. It's useful. I'm pretty clueless about some things.