How much is a reasonable rent for field and stables?

TallGirl82

Visit site
It's really not relevant. Poo picking for 3 horses over 4 acres isn't a massive ask. Most people would get that done within 30-40 minutes tops.

If you want it poo picked then insist it's poo picked. You aren't being unreasonable. Don't let her manipulate you into thinking otherwise.
Thank you - its so hard to know when I don't have any other reference point.

TallGirl82

Visit site
You're well rid of her. I laughed when I saw the bit about not wanting to poo pick 4 acres! My mares field alone is 4 acres, with 5 on it, and they are absolute poo machines. I can clear their paddock in 30 minutes.
I don't poo pick in winter, and get the fields harrowed and rolled as soon as the land is dry enough - then I poo pick every other day minimum. Fresh poo just sours the grass - I'd only use it as fertiliser after it had been taken off the field and rotted in piles for a year.
That was my understanding of the fertilising nature of the poo, it needed to rot down first!

Reactions: TPO

TallGirl82

Visit site
I've been through stages with the field I rent with not poo picking due to the crows breaking it up when I fed linseed so didn't really need to but the land owner didn't question me about it and is happy for me to manage how I want to and when, even if it does look untidy for a week if I haven't had time but of course, if she required me to do it still, I wouldn't have a problem but she trusts that it is looked after anyway. Having said that, it isn't at her home or something she'd need to look at every day. However, I would always make sure well used areas or places that were visible were clear so it always looks tidy but I do poo pick everyday now as it does look unsightly when the birds haven't spread it around!
The only thing she does require is making sure the bottoms of the shelters are clear to avoid rotting. I also used to poo pick 4 horses daily over 6 acres with no issues so it is easily done but doing it on the weekend might be harder as you'd have to tip a couple of wheelbarrows most likely but if she'd have preferred that, it would be her choice if she'd wanted the harder work! Shame she couldn't reach an agreement with you though. Also, the rent your offering is amazing for all of that! That would be about £600pcm around here I think!
Thank you! We can see both fields from our house and its the first thing you see when you come into our drive - ratty looking fields covered in weeds with plastic electrical fence posts everywhere. The birds don't spread the poo around here. And the poo is just left to rot in the bottom of the shelter (not sure what the floor is, perhaps concrete? She did try to get my 11 year old son to clear it for the princely sum of £2.50, but after an hours work and 14 barrow loads, and hardly making a dent, he said no thanks and the job still hasn't been done).

TallGirl82

Visit site
I insisted that liveries (when I had them) had to ensure the poo picking was completely done at a weekend, so field completely cleared. if they were able to do it in the week (sometimes difficult in winter) then that was appreciated.
Some owners will pay others to come in and poo pick.
Yes I do mine daily, but I wouldn't contract a livery to have to clear it daily.
We were more than happy to discuss with her and said 'here's the salient terms, happy to discuss' and would have been happy with every other day or twice a week or something, anything more than she does now. But she doesn't want to discuss anything, just to tell us that 'I knew you wanted me gone'. Its going to be an interesting 4 weeks...

paddy555

Visit site
I poo pick daily for 8 and I also strim the weeds very regularly so it does look almost like parkland. Cannot stand "horse sour", weedy looking fields. I harrow and roll once a year end March (as soon as it is dry enough) and lime.

My biggest worry would be what happens in 4 weeks time if she is still there. I would make sure an agreement was in place now with the new rent to start very soon plus the poo picking requirement and formally serve notice. If she is still in place in 4 weeks time otherwise you won't have made much progress and also find out what action to take if she is still there.
In the horse world people saying they are leaving and then actually leaving don't always equate.

Noble

Visit site
To answer your poo picking question I would think it reasonable to ask for the field to be rolled and harrowed in spring, so once a year. After harrowing I would require the field to be completely cleared at least once a week, every week , at their convenience until they are unable to push a full barrow through the surface. Then in winter if necessary they can have a break from their duties but it must again be harrowed and rolled in the following spring. Hope that helps.

TallGirl82

Visit site
I poo pick daily for 8 and I also strim the weeds very regularly so it does look almost like parkland. Cannot stand "horse sour", weedy looking fields. I harrow and roll once a year end March (as soon as it is dry enough) and lime.

My biggest worry would be what happens in 4 weeks time if she is still there. I would make sure an agreement was in place now with the new rent to start very soon plus the poo picking requirement and formally serve notice. If she is still in place in 4 weeks time otherwise you won't have made much progress and also find out what action to take if she is still there.
In the horse world people saying they are leaving and then actually leaving don't always equate.

Thank you - she has already asked for the rest of the rent that she's already paid and won't use back, and has started to clear out the tackroom and have a large bonfire burning all sorts. We gave her until Dec 1st under the current arrangements so I'm happy if its not strictly 4 weeks. Obviously a rent will have to be paid if she overstays... haha.

Going to need to do some work on the land before we can even think about letting it out to someone else!

TallGirl82

Visit site
To answer your poo picking question I would think it reasonable to ask for the field to be rolled and harrowed in spring, so once a year. After harrowing I would require the field to be completely cleared at least once a week, every week , at their convenience until they are unable to push a full barrow through the surface. Then in winter if necessary they can have a break from their duties but it must again be harrowed and rolled in the following spring. Hope that helps.
That's great, thank you! Harrowing once a year makes sense if you are poo-picking the rest of the time. Our tenant harrowed once a year and does no poopicking.

southerncomfort

Visit site
When I rented it was in the contract that the field had to be either poo picked every day or completely cleared once a week. The landlord maintained fences etc and arranged for the land to be topped and harrowed twice a year.

The shelter had to be cleared every day.

Now I have my own place and 3 ponies, I still poo pick every day throughout the year.

Sounds like she's found somewhere else to go. Fingers crossed all goes smoothly!

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
A tenner a week per horse, Jeez you are giving it away!

She has 8 acres for pity's sake!! And appears to do sweet diddly-squat in the way of land maintenance.

I have read (above) what you are proposing and this sounds reasonable! Tho' personally I do think you are rather undercharging; the £400 figure sounds more realistic.

Re. your "sitting tenant". Personally I would counsel you to give her notice to quit the land as I sadly fear she is going to be nothing but trouble to you in the future if you let her stay on your property. She sounds like the "I-know-my-rights" type and has already been rude and abrasive which was totally unnecessary! Not helpful at all! Her type are good at attracting other Harpies of the same persuasion and before you know it you will have problems. I would seriously urge you to have a "new broom sweep clean" approach and give her notice to quit. End of.

If you were house-letting then yes under certain tenancy agreements currently you might have to give statutory 4 months notice to quit but this is not a house it is land. At my yard it is a month's notice either side. I think you are being over-generous therefore.

I would strongly suggest that you get a Legal to write her a letter giving her Notice to Quit. This should be sent Recorded/Signed for delivery. As she has already shown that she is a thoroughly unpleasant person and threatened to up the anti and get assy then I think this is the best and wisest way forward to avoid any unpleasantness. It is what I would do in your circumstances having been a YO for over 25 years now. Like yourself I live on-site and the ONE thing I have found if you DO live at "the yard" is that you need to be happy with your livery; and she with you - and if you are starting off with strife already in the air it isn't a good foundation for the future! You could have a lovely livery who appreciates what they have and who will be happy and content. Not someone that's going to sass you all the time. You don't need a person on your place who you are very likely to encounter daily and who is bringing strife and discord!! Please I would urge you to think of this!! Don't do it! Don't permit a bad atmosphere on your place! You don't need it!

And please don't feel sorry for her! She took the initiative in being unpleasant and rude to you; she could have adopted a mature attitude and been polite and reasonable, but she did not. Also don't forget you are running a business NOT a charitable concern and you need to make your business thrive and be worth doing. Plus like I say you need peace and harmony. I have had some lovely liveries at my place through the years and when you get a good livery it is fantastic.

Also (sorry to have to remind you but it is important) - don't overlook adequate insurance.........

Last edited:

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
You sound like a lovely reasonable person that many of us reliant upon livery or rentals would be very appreciative of so I’m sorry your experience of this livery has been a negative one. At least she’s leaving without much fuss!

I have two horses on about two acres split into 4 paddocks. In summer when out 24/7 I poo pick pretty much twice a day. In winter when in at night it’s as often as I can depending on weather and light but cleared at weekends at least. However sometimes in winter you just can’t push a wheel-barrow through mud so I’ve had to leave it. The winter before last I just had to give up as it was so wet. You’d need to factor in some realistic flexibility to the average working horse owner unless you rent to someone who doesn’t work.

Other practical things to factor in are distance to muck heap or if you’ll allow temporary field heaps to be removed once or twice yearly as this is much easier and still keeps fields in good order. Our fields furthest from the yard and muck trailer have these. However you do need right equipment to remove them.

Obviously whatever you decide is fine as the landowner just factor in any costs that you’d incur into your rental price so you’re not out of pocket.

TallGirl82

Visit site
many yards/DIY etc take a deposit initially which is then returned when the stable, paddock etc is left clean and tidy. If it isn't then that money is available to pay someone to muck out, poo pick or whatever.
That's what I thought might happen - she's also asked for the weeks advance she gave us when we moved in... there was no advance, just the following four weeks rent due on the very day we moved in...:rolleyes: I also doubt very much that she will leave a clean and tidy yard/shelter/field but its really not worth the fight.

TallGirl82

Visit site
You sound like a lovely reasonable person that many of us reliant upon livery or rentals would be very appreciative of so I’m sorry your experience of this livery has been a negative one. At least she’s leaving without much fuss!

I have two horses on about two acres split into 4 paddocks. In summer when out 24/7 I poo pick pretty much twice a day. In winter when in at night it’s as often as I can depending on weather and light but cleared at weekends at least. However sometimes in winter you just can’t push a wheel-barrow through mud so I’ve had to leave it. The winter before last I just had to give up as it was so wet. You’d need to factor in some realistic flexibility to the average working horse owner unless you rent to someone who doesn’t work.

Other practical things to factor in are distance to muck heap or if you’ll allow temporary field heaps to be removed once or twice yearly as this is much easier and still keeps fields in good order. Our fields furthest from the yard and muck trailer have these. However you do need right equipment to remove them.

Obviously whatever you decide is fine as the landowner just factor in any costs that you’d incur into your rental price so you’re not out of pocket.
Temporary muck heaps, good idea! More than happy to be flexible and work with the tenant on timings and frequency as long as it gets done! Current tenant doesn't work, so has plenty of time. But totally get working people have lives and jobs outside of their horses and am happy to work with that.

GrassChop

Visit site
Thank you! We can see both fields from our house and its the first thing you see when you come into our drive - ratty looking fields covered in weeds with plastic electrical fence posts everywhere. The birds don't spread the poo around here. And the poo is just left to rot in the bottom of the shelter (not sure what the floor is, perhaps concrete? She did try to get my 11 year old son to clear it for the princely sum of £2.50, but after an hours work and 14 barrow loads, and hardly making a dent, he said no thanks and the job still hasn't been done).

Wow! It sounds like a good job she is leaving then.
I'd never leave my shelters, hard standing or main grazing areas like that. The only poo I leave now is if it's in long grass that they don't eat and you can't see it! All weeds I pull, painted my shelters with the paint provided by the land owner, I fix fencing even though I don't have to and generally keep it all looking really nice. Its like an extension of my garden for me, I enjoy pottering around there. My electric fencing has to be dead straight too! ? Can't cope with messy fencing. I reseed as well if it's looking bare in places and harrow every spring.
I wouldn't be pleased having to look at that either so blessing in disguise it seems for you.

TallGirl82

Visit site
A tenner a week per horse, Jeez you are giving it away!

She has 8 acres for pity's sake!! And appears to do sweet diddly-squat in the way of land maintenance.

I have read (above) what you are proposing and this sounds reasonable! Tho' personally I do think you are rather undercharging; the £400 figure sounds more realistic.

Re. your "sitting tenant". Personally I would counsel you to give her notice to quit the land as I sadly fear she is going to be nothing but trouble to you in the future if you let her stay on your property. She sounds like the "I-know-my-rights" type and has already been rude and abrasive which was totally unnecessary! Not helpful at all! Her type are good at attracting other Harpies of the same persuasion and before you know it you will have problems. I would seriously urge you to have a "new broom sweep clean" approach and give her notice to quit. End of.

If you were house-letting then yes under certain tenancy agreements currently you might have to give statutory 4 months notice to quit but this is not a house it is land. At my yard it is a month's notice either side. I think you are being over-generous therefore.

I would strongly suggest that you get a Legal to write her a letter giving her Notice to Quit. This should be sent Recorded/Signed for delivery. As she has already shown that she is a thoroughly unpleasant person and threatened to up the anti and get assy then I think this is the best and wisest way forward to avoid any unpleasantness. It is what I would do in your circumstances having been a YO for over 25 years now. Like yourself I live on-site and the ONE thing I have found if you DO live at "the yard" is that you need to be happy with your livery; and she with you - and if you are starting off with strife already in the air it isn't a good foundation for the future! You could have a lovely livery who appreciates what they have and who will be happy and content. Not someone that's going to sass you all the time. You don't need a person on your place who you are very likely to encounter daily and who is bringing strife and discord!! Please I would urge you to think of this!! Don't do it! Don't permit a bad atmosphere on your place! You don't need it!

And please don't feel sorry for her! She took the initiative in being unpleasant and rude to you; she could have adopted a mature attitude and been polite and reasonable, but she did not. Also don't forget you are running a business NOT a charitable concern and you need to make your business thrive and be worth doing. Plus like I say you need peace and harmony. I have had some lovely liveries at my place through the years and when you get a good livery it is fantastic.

Also (sorry to have to remind you but it is important) - don't overlook adequate insurance.........
Thank you so much! We had a letter with the new contract all ready to put in the recorded post, but thought it the nice thing to do to send her a quick text with the headline changes ie rent and poo picking requirements. She messaged back to say that she would be leaving before the end of this rental period ie what she's paid for, and that where poo picking is concerned, 'anyone knows that in a space that big you chain harrow' which she did. Once, in the 14 months we've been here. And wished us luck getting any new tenant to poo pick.

You are totally right, it would be lovely to have a peaceful person on our property.

TPO

Visit site
I dont know thr english laws but it's illegal to burn plastic without a license in scotland. If england is similar I'd perhaps insist more strongly that she does a tip run rather than burn items like that.

She sounds like an absolute horror. I hope she leaves before the 4wks to give you some peace. I wouldn't refund any livery until the place is cleared and left in a satisfactory condition once the horses are off the property.

In regards to land management if you are on facebook have a look at the group "Land management for horses with Dr Lisa Schofield".

You'll perhaps see land and acreage similar to your own. If you post your predicament and pictures of the land they will be able to advise (just a word of caution always read the "pinned topics" first and always say please and thank you when asking any questions on there). That page will give you a proper idea of where and how to start restoring your land

TallGirl82

Visit site
I dont know thr english laws but it's illegal to burn plastic without a license in scotland. If england is similar I'd perhaps insist more strongly that she does a tip run rather than burn items like that.

She sounds like an absolute horror. I hope she leaves before the 4wks to give you some peace. I wouldn't refund any livery until the place is cleared and left in a satisfactory condition once the horses are off the property.

In regards to land management if you are on facebook have a look at the group "Land management for horses with Dr Lisa Schofield".

You'll perhaps see land and acreage similar to your own. If you post your predicament and pictures of the land they will be able to advise (just a word of caution always read the "pinned topics" first and always say please and thank you when asking any questions on there). That page will give you a proper idea of where and how to start restoring your land
Thanks so much - I have looked up the group on Facebook and have requested to join. Going to learn a whole lot I think!

Winters100

Visit site
Great that she is leaving - I am sure that you will easily find a nice responsible tenant who will jump at the chance of renting these facilities.

Regarding poo picking v harrowing, yes harrowing is often used in larger areas, but in my opinion it is an inferior solution. I have my 3 in about 3 hectares (about 7.5 acres), and although they are on half livery, so the yard handles harrowing, I prefer to poo pick. I do it every day so it doesn't take long.

I wish you lck in finding someone more reasonable to rent your land, and from the sounds of it that will not be too difficult!

Reactions: SEL

HashRouge

Visit site
Great news that she's leaving - £22.50 per horse per week was still an absolute bargain for the facilities she has!

Re poo picking/ harrowing - we poo pick as much of the year as we can and then stop once the horses go onto their winter field, which is usually around November. They tend to be on there until March and is a good sized field, so does fairly well without being poo picked. It then gets harrowed in the spring once they move onto their summer paddocks, and we start poo picking again. It works pretty well and are paddocks all look pretty neat and tidy :)