How much is meat money these days?

Ranyhyn

Visit site
I have never tried a pony pie. And would not eat it, but I don't expect others to miraculously mirror my love for horses, they are just like cows, sheep and pigs at the end of the day. Wether you choose to love them bears no weight on someone who choses to eat them and views them the same as Daisy, Porky or Chuck the chicken!

poacher82

Visit site
Thanks guys - have indeed contemplated the thought that it's a huge potential vets bill, though was hoping if I up my price a little I might get something vaguely catchable!
Kirkby Stephen - sadly waaaaaaaay south of here still - Perthshire is smack in the middle of Scotland!
PS - vertically challenged chops is brilliant! No-one likes the thought of pony pies etc, but it happens so keeping some humour is important for all our sanity I reckon. What about Lion Bars for the ones destined for Longleat etc?

ginadrummond

Visit site
Slightly off topic, but how do I find out where my nearest cheap sale is? I'm after a random little pony as a companion, can be as ugly as you like, and a £7 'pony pie' sounds as good idea as any - at least then it's mine and I don't have any potential hassle having one on loan or anything!

But I've never heard of any sales locally (am in Perthshire). Any suggestions please?

Not sure about Perthshire but I've brought a couple from Thainstone in Inverurie. Not pies though. Stopped going now as will end up with buckets of them - pies and all.

SusannaF

susannaforrest.wordpress.com
Think pony pie is bad? This is what I found in my local supermarket. Talk about "earthy realism" :vomit:

DSC05637.jpg

Eira

Visit site
Dear god this forum never changes.
Again thankyou to Nativeponies and anyone else that actually had something useful to say!
(Oh and to the posters on the last page for the laugh!)

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Nice to know others have a wicked sense of humour too. Let's face it, if you can't laugh you might as well cry and where's the sense in that?

I suppose the term 'I'll send you to the glue factory' won't go down too well then but I'm heard to say it regularly particularly when Freddy has done a bunk under the wire. Or 'hound's lunchbox' too, that's another favourite of mine.

LEXIS-MAGIC

Visit site
I'd look deeper into that too if I was her. Potential future vet bills if it is in bad shape and not being able to catch the little thing come to mind :D You may well spend far more in the end for a lot more hassle. Not a bad idea to check out though if you have a good eye at what you are looking at in an auction setting.

Pony pies does sound awful btw

Vertically challenged chops is so much more PC

I had one many moons ago which I could never catch, decided to sell him when he got to breaking age and amazingly he started waiting at the gate for me to get to the yard!!! He went off to be a ride and drive! I guess I was lucky... No vets bills but he was really weak so wasexpecting to find him dead in his stable for the first week!!!

P.S. Loving the p.c. description of the pony pies lol

JadeWisc

Visit site
our horses are not commodities, they are with us for life, not like our cattle and sheepQUOTE]

I hate it when I hear this phrase " A home for life" I wonder if these people have some sort of crystal ball that tells the future. They somehow know they will never be too busy, too ill, too disabled or too destitute not to entertain the idea of selling their beloved ( usable and healthy) horse.

Sometimes selling a horse is a selfless act. Even when it is as simple as you have outgrown it or want to try something new. As long as the horse can be happy with an active new owner that suits its need and abilities what is the problem? Do people that claim the will give a 'Home for life" somehow think they are better homes for the horses?

I can see being very close to a horse you have had for ages and seeing it through retirement once it is no longer suited to a highly active job and is and is not suffering. But even then you cannot truthfully say you will be able to give it a home for life when you consider all of the very real possibilities of where your own life could take you. .

I am glad that horses are often considered commodities. If they were not seen that way to some I suspect there would be even more widespread abuse and neglect that there already is.
Far better to have the option to sell an animal instead of the 'discard them all' attitude people have about dogs and cats who you could never sell on if you had to.

I'll always feel more sorry for a horse living in hell than one dying to be put in a jar anyday

Last edited:

NeilM

Visit site
I am SO late to this thread, but "PONY PIES" ha ha ha ha, that's a classic.

I often tell Harry he's 'walking cat food' when he messes about (much to the offence of my OH), now I have a new phrase :D

Not sure why anyone with a sense of humour or over the age of ten would be offended by PP, but there you go!

cbmcts

Visit site
When my Section D is being especially silly (often :eek:) I have been known to rant that I don't know any dogs that I dislike enough to feed you to - through gritted teeth.

One of the cows answers to BBQ....

rosie fronfelen

Visit site
our horses are not commodities, they are with us for life, not like our cattle and sheepQUOTE]

I hate it when I hear this phrase " A home for life" I wonder if these people have some sort of crystal ball that tells the future. They somehow know they will never be too busy, too ill, too disabled or too destitute not to entertain the idea of selling their beloved ( usable and healthy) horse.

Sometimes selling a horse is a selfless act. Even when it is as simple as you have outgrown it or want to try something new. As long as the horse can be happy with an active new owner that suits its need and abilities what is the problem? Do people that claim the will give a 'Home for life" somehow think they are better homes for the horses?

I can see being very close to a horse you have had for ages and seeing it through retirement once it is no longer suited to a highly active job and is and is not suffering. But even then you cannot truthfully say you will be able to give it a home for life when you consider all of the very real possibilities of where your own life could take you. .

I am glad that horses are often considered commodities. If they were not seen that way to some I suspect there would be even more widespread abuse and neglect that there already is.
Far better to have the option to sell an animal instead of the 'discard them all' attitude people have about dogs and cats who you could never sell on if you had to.

I'll always feel more sorry for a horse living in hell than one dying to be put in a jar anyday

i find your post offensive, what do you know about us and our animals? they are with us for their lives and god forbid,if anything happens to us , or them, they will be put down andtaken to the kennels- already 1 is 20, the 2nd is 18, the 3rd is 19 and our youngest is 6. Sell them? never!!!!!!

JadeWisc

Visit site
i find your post offensive, what do you know about us and our animals? they are with us for their lives and god forbid,if anything happens to us , or them, they will be put down andtaken to the kennels- already 1 is 20, the 2nd is 18, the 3rd is 19 and our youngest is 6. Sell them? never!!!!!!

Geez :confused: what don't you find offensive?

I don't know a damn thing about you personally but I have right to my opinion about the general phrase "a home for life" and think it is often used to flippantly.

Did you even read the rest of what I was trying to say?

Have you really put in your will that you want all of your horses (including your assumed to be healthy 6 yo) horse put down in the event of your demise?

Groom42

Visit site
A poem from my dim and distant childhood........
"Roses are red, violets are blue.
Ponies that STOP get turned into glue!"

Now when they are being ar**s they get threated with Pedigree Chum, or lesser-quality dog burgers! I quite like the threat of Pony Pies, though! ;)