How much is my pony worth?!

Conniexox

Visit site
**not selling atm**
Pure welsh section d, 14.2hh , 12 years old
Has been hunting, xc, beach rides, showjumping etc
Jumps hedges 1m20 + and is currently competing at 80/90 sj with scope to go higher
Needs a confident rider as can be strong but is honest and willing
Has potential for BE or BS
Lives out, low maintenance
How much would you pay?

Shay

Visit site
There is - but it depends on the area "Potential" for BE/BS means nothing. He's 12 so in strict competitive terms (as in affiliated / higher level) he has already achieved what we can. Also D's are often a bit heavy for Novice or above. (I know - not all of them before everyone yells - but just generally.) If you market him as a pure competition type you are likely to struggle I suspect.

If you are in the right area I would suggest marketing as a hunter - a good proven hunter holds value exceptionally well. You'll need references from a master or secretary. He's the right size and age. If he is well mannered in the field (hunting field - not grazing!) that would be the highest value.

Alternatively if he is too strong for an older PC Pony opt for small adult confidence giver type -another classifications which holds value well with the additional advantage that you tend to get a home for life type arrangement. If you think he will make a PC pony for an other rider then spend your summer (ground permitting) getting loads of PC Type qualifications. If you are of an age to qualify for the National Championships - that always looks good on a sales ticket.

Last edited:

MagicMelon

Visit site
I sold a D who was similar sounding but was getting double clears round BE90's and BE100's and winning championships at M&M Workers at local and agricultural shows etc. for £4,500 several years ago. Im sure I undervalue him but he was the typical Welsh D quirky though so could be a handful on the ground hence the right home was the most important for him.

Shay

Visit site
Price range depends on the market. That is determined by her advert.

Out of curiosity - why do you want to know if you are not selling?

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
It doesnt matter that its not her advert, those things still hold true. At 12 she isnt a potential anything.

Agree with Leo Walker here, my pet peeve when I was looking to buy was seeing horses in their teens advertised as having "potential" as a way of trying to justify an often over inflated price.

cauda equina

Visit site
I'd say she's worth as much as someone is willing to pay, and if you're not selling her you'll never find out

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
OP, tis against the forum ts&cs to post on here asking how much your ned is worth, whether your are intending to sell it or not :).

'It has come to our attention that an increasing number of people are posting messages asking 'How's my ad?', Thoughts on my ad?', and 'Where to advertise?', 'Going to sell', 'Should I sell?' that, intentionally or otherwise, place their horses (sell, share, loan, etc.), horse-boxes, tack, property, etc., for sale in front of the eyes of potential buyers among the H&H readership.

Equally, posts requesting a valuation of horses or other items ('How much is it worth?') - whether with intent to sell (explicit or otherwise) or not - or 'How much to charge for...' may also be removed. As will posts asking where to sell items.'

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/foru...hts-on-my-ad-quot-quot-Sell-or-not-quot-posts

L&M

Visit site
I would sell her as a hunting schoolmistress, that can do another job in the summer such as PC/RC/local level competing, and market her to the older teen/small adult competent riders.

At 12 I would think around the £3500 mark, but be prepared to get less.

Conniexox

Visit site
Again, not going to be her real advert. It wouldn’t change what price she would be sold for at all that would just be in the advert to tell people she could go down that route if they were looking for a pony to do that on.

Conniexox

Visit site
It doesnt matter that its not her advert, those things still hold true. At 12 she isnt a potential anything.[/QUOTE
Yes she does have potential. I have not explored the route of Eventing or affiliation, but she can do decent flatwork and easily does xc and sj therefore put them all together she does have potential for it. If you think a horse or pony being 12 means they have no more potential because they are too old I suggest you rethink because there has been so manu cases where the older horses have become something amazing :)

Sheep

Visit site
I suggest you rethink because there has been so manu cases where the older horses have become something amazing :)

But you can't use "potential" as means to achieving a higher price. To achieve a higher price, the animal must demonstrate that it is capable.
My horse has never hunted before, so on that basis, I could sell him as a potential hunter (the fact that he's 22 and only up to very light work notwithstanding!).

We aren't saying your pony isn't capable, she sounds like a great pony, but "potential" can be fairly meaningless.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
But you can't use "potential" as means to achieving a higher price. To achieve a higher price, the animal must demonstrate that it is capable.
My horse has never hunted before, so on that basis, I could sell him as a potential hunter (the fact that he's 22 and only up to very light work notwithstanding!).

:D yup and my sec D is a potential Grand Prix dressage horse... kerching!

No one is saying 12 is too old to start a new competitive career, OP. But if she was 4 and demonstrating the capability for the affiliated disciplines then you could describe it as potential, at 12.. less so.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
While that is true it isn't as if this 12 year old has done nothing, unaffiliated records are also pretty searchable these days, references can be given for hunting. The pony has done XC and is SJ 80/90 and jumping bigger hunting. It would seem to me that it has a lot more potential to BE/BS than an awful lot of things advertised.

Sheep

Visit site
While that is true it isn't as if this 12 year old has done nothing, unaffiliated records are also pretty searchable these days, references can be given for hunting. The pony has done XC and is SJ 80/90 and jumping bigger hunting. It would seem to me that it has a lot more potential to BE/BS than an awful lot of things advertised.

That is also a very fair point :)

Conniexox

Visit site
All I was saying is that the fact she has potential wouldn’t make me raise her price that would just be something for the buyer to consider

TGM

Visit site
How much she is worth partly depends on how well you market her and how much you can 'prove' in terms of performance, results etc. For example, 'currently competing 80/90 sj' doesn't tell you much. 'Currently competing 80/90 SJ, usually jumping clear and often in the ribbons' would attract more people and bump the price up. (In theory, pretty much anyone could enter a couple of 80 or 90 classes, get eliminated or flatten every fence, and still claim to be 'competing 80/90'). If flatwork is good you need to prove that with either dressage competition results and scores (currently getting 65% plus in unaffiliated Prelim dressage) or flatwork videos. Jumping videos are also good so people can judge just how strong she is. The area you live in will also affect value, generally prices are higher in the home counties, and more remote areas of the country prices tend to be lower.