how much to have set aside?

maya2008

Visit site
In answer to the original question - if your horse has to be referred on for surgery/whatever, some referral practices will only take a horse if they have either credit card or insurance details. I don't have a credit card, but I figure they would also allow a payment in advance. You need one of those options available if needed!

Lovely jubbly

Visit site
Ive always used Petplan for all of my horses never paid more than £55 a month excess of £200 each claim value of £5000. It’s been a life saver over the years always paid out without any issue.
I’ve never had to pay the vets bill before the insurance Whether that’s just my vet !
Last claim I made dentistry issues...equine hospital wanted claim form when I dropped the horse off...they filled it in and sent it off themselves.
A friend of mine doesn’t insure her horses puts aside £40 a month just in case it’s needed everybody is different do whats best for you x

Birker2020

Visit site
Update - Sunday morning emergency vet call to my horse whose on 3 legs. Turns out its a foot abscess and bruising so 3-5 days box rest. So here we go again, back up to around £550 mark. It's really never ending.

Visit site
Saw this on FB and thought of this thread!

I love it!! I've spent just over $AU3000 this month, and probably another $AU7000 in the last 18 months on top of that for 3 dental surgeries where we removed all his incisors.

I thought I'd done so well, saving for all his surgeries, and being able to pay the invoices straight away, and then he got an abscessed elbow and turned septic.

We're blessed with great vets around here who will let me pay it off in installments

o_O