how much to have set aside?

teddypops

Visit site
You said yourself that yourself though. That system is great if it works for you and them. I've never heard of it and neither has anyone else on the forum, therefore I was just commenting that my vet would apply for a CCJ. They are pretty robust about debt collecting and absolutely would not allow a dribs and drabs payment of a bill unless there was extreme circumstances and absolutely no funds available. Anyone reading, needs to know that is not normal or acceptable in any other vet practice.

Lots of clients at the vets I have worked for have done this. If it ok with the vets, and as they would rather get their money than not, then it hasn’t really got anything to do with anyone else. If the account went to court and the client got a ccj, they can arrange to pay off their account at whatever they can afford - sometimes they only have to pay £1 per month! So a vet getting £50 a week, knowing the bill will be paid is usually fine with them.

Birker2020

Visit site
Yes it is.

For everyone having a go at Birker, there used to be vets in my area whose terms were pay by instalment with interest added, and hers is clearly one like it. She states in one of her posts that interest is added.

If her vet has those terms she shouldn't be being attacked for using them, it's up to them what their commercial arrangements are.
Thank you.

Dexter

Visit site
Lots of clients at the vets I have worked for have done this. If it ok with the vets, and as they would rather get their money than not, then it hasn’t really got anything to do with anyone else. If the account went to court and the client got a ccj, they can arrange to pay off their account at whatever they can afford - sometimes they only have to pay £1 per month! So a vet getting £50 a week, knowing the bill will be paid is usually fine with them.

But it does have everything to do with everyone else when people are posting in reply to a thread like this as if its normal. There are 7 vet practices within 25 miles of me. Not a single one takes payment plans in arrears. I've lived in various areas of the UK and never seen it, so its clearly not that common. I dont care what individuals do, in fact good for them, no one should be relying on it as an option.

teddypops

Visit site
But it does have everything to do with everyone else when people are posting in reply to a thread like this as if its normal. There are 7 vet practices within 25 miles of me. Not a single one takes payment plans in arrears. I've lived in various areas of the UK and never seen it, so its clearly not that common. I dont care what individuals do, in fact good for them, no one should be relying on it as an option.
Why does it? It’s nothing to do with me if someone takes 3 months to clear a bill as it doesn’t affect me.
Just because you don’t like it and you don’t think people should do it isn’t really relevant. It’s up to the individual vet practice and some vets clearly do allow this.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Why does it? It’s nothing to do with me if someone takes 3 months to clear a bill as it doesn’t affect me.
Just because you don’t like it and you don’t think people should do it isn’t really relevant. It’s up to the individual vet practice and some vets clearly do allow this.

Of course it effects others ,covering the cost of late payment to the practice is built into very single transaction those who pay on time have with the vet .

Birker2020

Visit site
Of course it effects others ,covering the cost of late payment to the practice is built into very single transaction those who pay on time have with the vet .
I think my practice allows this payment option with everyone who struggles to pay in one go and is lenient with people who make an effort to pay on a weekly basis. They'd rather people paid this way than not at all and then have to chase them with letters which escalate to debt recovery action as it costs them money.

Some of us struggle to make ends meet but we shouldn't be 'told off' for it, it's no one else's business how bills are paid. Gosh I wish I'd not mentioned it now.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
I have no idea what our current equine vets are like re payment. I have had very few bills in recent years and have been able to pay them immediately. However in the past when I had several horses I regularly racked up bills I could not pay in one go. The vet I had then knew me very well and allowed me to pay in instalments. I was with his practice for 43yrs until he died. I don't expect this sort of arrangement with other vets.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
it's a funny thing, I expect if I got a huge bill all of a sudden and insurance wouldn't cover it, my practice would agree to installments too... but personally I'd feel too awkward to ask for it so would rather put on a CC and pay myself back.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I think my practice allows this payment option with everyone who struggles to pay in one go and is lenient with people who make an effort to pay on a weekly basis. They'd rather people paid this way than not at all and then have to chase them with letters which escalate to debt recovery action as it costs them money.

Some of us struggle to make ends meet but we shouldn't be 'told off' for it, it's no one else's business how bills are paid. Gosh I wish I'd not mentioned it now.

I am not telling you off , I am stating the fact that clients who pay in full and on time meet the costs to practice of handling late payment .
Every business adds the costs associated with late payers to every service and product they sell .
Some choose to do this by adding interest or late payment charges which is fairer than letting others shoulder the cost on their bills one of the feed merchants i used to use does this .
I struggled to pay my bills when I was younger and I saved and used a credit card for vet bills .

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
For normal bills, I pay as soon as the invoice arrives, direct transfer.

For an insurance claim, they have been happy to wait for the insurance. I pay the excess straight away and give them the paperwork, I prefer this, as much because they then sort the paperwork and liaise with the insurance company for me, as anything else.

Now I am 3rd party only, I will pay straight away, and be more mindful of the bill.

Our vets do offer to pay late, but this is set at an interest rate to discourage its use. It would be cheaper to take it from savings, and then borrow from another source, if I didn't have the money to pay immediately. That seems fair enough, they are vets not bankers. I would never choose to pay a high interest rate when I have savings.

teddypops

Visit site
I would assume that’s why the person who owes the money gets charged a late payment fee/ pays interest.

TPO

Visit site
I've noticed equine practices around here really tightening up on payments and constantly issuing newsletters driving home thr requirement to pay bills promptly.

Practices have overheads and they need to make X per week/month to cover their bills. Their creditors dont let them just pay it as they can afford it. It's one thing billing clients for amounts over X but another getting that money to pay their own bills.

They do all ask that if there are any problems affording the bills to contact them asap to arrange a payment plan. As said they'd rather get something than nothing but not ideal.

I just can't imagine not paying any bill in full. My financial situation isnt the fault or concern of the vet. Like MP I'd put it on a credit card and pay if off at my own expense.

I know a practice that has really struggled because of clients not paying their bill.

I find it such a strange attitude to have. As listed by others what other service do we get that we pay when we can afford. I appreciate not having thousands at finger tips but again not the vets problem and why all horse owners should have a back up option.

Another practice has set up like a savings account so that clients can pay X per month and have a cushion for big bills and regular bills are covered instantly.

My vets know that I'm a good payer and I'm sure if a big bill landed theyd let me pay it up but equally why should they be left in the lurch because of me. Theyve spent their time and used their materials already and that needs reimbursed. In that instance it would go on a card or loan and I'd have to pay that off in installments.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

Not necessarily. If the vet offers discount for early payment or puts interest on a late one, then late payers are covering their own costs and it's nobody's business but the vet and their client.

I am not telling you off

Sounds like it.

Birker has stated she pays the vet interest, GS, as i already pointed out, and she's taken enough stick already. She doesn't need jumping all over again, the poor woman.

Last edited:

SEL

Visit site
Back to the OP's question - it isn't always easy to determine when you first start incurring those vet bills that you are going to run up something huge. The first time the little native pony I own met the vet was to have a routine dental check up and while the vet was there I mentioned she was sounding a bit wheezy. Now that's something you'd think would be easy (cheap) - maybe a chest infection or a touch of hay fever - but she ended up in surgery before Xmas and then spent 6 weeks on box rest because she was discharged with a gaping hole in her neck. Fortunately insured but only to £3k and because it took a while to work out the problem we ran through that rather too quickly.

So you can't always assume on day 1 that you know if its going to be a quick fix, long haul or even PTS situation.

I nearly didn't insure her and tbh I'm not sure what route I would have gone down if I hadn't. Nothing in isolation (camera scopes, samples from her windpipe, drugs etc) was massively expensive but they all mounted up in getting to the actual issue. I think by the time the surgeon got involved I'd already spent nearly £1k on investigations. Even after surgery she needed additional antibiotics and more vet visits.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Not necessarily. If the vet offers discount for early payment or puts interest on a late one, then late payers are covering their own costs and it's nobody's business but the vet and their client.

Sounds like it.

Birker has stated she pays the vet interest, GS, as i already pointed out, and she's taken enough stick already. She doesn't need jumping all over again, the poor woman.

I am allowed a point of view .
Late payment is wrong whoever is doing it .

Birker2020

Visit site

No one else's business. Quite frankly I've had enough of this green eyed monster cr*p. I've done nothing wrong, if my vets are happy with the arrangement what concern is it of anyone else's?

Last edited:

ycbm

Visit site

I agree with you about late payment, but it isn't late payment if it's terms offered by the vet as part of their commercial contract with you.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
No one else's business. Quite frankly I've had enough of this green eyed monster cr*p. I've done nothing wrong, if my vets are happy with the arrangement what concern is it of anyone else's?
Its not green eyed monster crap.
I would have left it die, that was until you posted that you had savings which you would keep back for other things.

Payment plans are fine, I agreed with you in that. But to then do a breakdown of your finances and declare savings (which you didn't need to have put in the 1st place) made me question why you wouldn't clear vet bill and then rebuild your savings.
As usual you post too much detail, then get snappy with folk who question your methods.
I had AC and then HB on ignore. Prob best I do the same again eh? :)

Birker2020

Visit site
Its not green eyed monster crap.
I would have left it die, that was until you posted that you had savings which you would keep back for other things.

Payment plans are fine, I agreed with you in that. But to then do a breakdown of your finances and declare savings (which you didn't need to have put in the 1st place) made me question why you wouldn't clear vet bill and then rebuild your savings.
As usual you post too much detail, then get snappy with folk who question your methods.
I had AC and then HB on ignore. Prob best I do the same again eh? :)
I only worked 4 months last year due to Covid so lost around £16/£17K. I had to take out credit for the first time in my life with a credit card just to afford the bills. I was furloughed but as company director my furlough represented less than 1/4 of my normal salary per month.

Maybe you should learn to have a bit of empathy towards people who were struggling financially due to the knock on effect of Covid. If something happens to my car and I've used my savings I can't get to work and then would be in even more of a financial mess. I'm working today (normally 4 day week) due to having to have Monday off due to it being a bank holiday and not being able to afford to have time off (I am a contractor so don't get holiday). It's not like I'm a lazy good for nothing person - I'm up at 5.15am every morning. I'm not someone who scrounges and doesn't work when there is nothing wrong with me, or spends thousands on credit cards on clothes and expensive holidays. I live on a shoestring. Learn some compassion!

And if I post too much detail its because I've been told I don't post enough detail!! And showing the fact that I used to be AC and then HB is a nasty and vindictive thing to do when someone just wants a bit of privacy and to forget about the dreadful times previously. Says more about you than me I think.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I only worked 4 months last year due to Covid so lost around £16/£17K. I had to take out credit for the first time in my life with a credit card just to afford the bills. I was furloughed but as company director my furlough represented less than 1/4 of my normal salary per month.

Maybe you should learn to have a bit of empathy towards people who were struggling financially due to the knock on effect of Covid. If something happens to my car and I've used my savings I can't get to work and then would be in even more of a financial mess. I'm working today (normally 4 day week) due to having to have Monday off due to it being a bank holiday and not being able to afford to have time off (I am a contractor so don't get holiday). It's not like I'm a lazy good for nothing person - I'm up at 5.15am every morning. I'm not someone who scrounges and doesn't work when there is nothing wrong with me, or spends thousands on credit cards on clothes and expensive holidays. I live on a shoestring. Learn some compassion!

And if I post too much detail its because I've been told I don't post enough detail!! And showing the fact that I used to be AC and then HB is a nasty and vindictive thing to do when someone just wants a bit of privacy and to forget about the dreadful times previously. Says more about you than me I think.
Hey ho.
I'll leave you to it I think.

baran

Visit site
You also need to be aware that because of poor payers/late payers, some practices now ask for a deposit from new clients. I think our practice asks for £250 before they will come out the first time and they retain it until you have paid three bills and then they use it to set off against any future bills. So build that into any calculations you make.

moosea

Visit site
I do understand that other posters may not have experienced vets who will agree to payment plans, but I have experienced a few local practices that have done, so if this is something you would like or need from a practice it is a question you would need to ask before making decisions on insurance.

Don't forget that if you do choose not to insure for vets fees etc. then you will still need public liability and possibly personal accident cover.

ycbm

Visit site
Don't forget that if you do choose not to insure for vets fees etc. then you will still need public liability and possibly personal accident cover.

Absolutely true, but many people don't realise that they have 3rd party (also known as public) liability included in their house insurance, so check that first.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Our vets would take installments if the client couldn't meet a large bill, there would be interest added of course.

scats

Visit site
My vet hospital once offered me a payment plan when I was landed an unexpected bill due to insurance not paying out. They know me well as I have been bringing them weird and wonderful cases for 20+ years. I think because they recognised I am a good payer and they never have problems with me, they were willing to offer. No interest added either (I can already hear the forum gasp!).

Reactions: TPO

Spirit2021

Visit site
I sorry but if you have pay vet bills over a few months every-time you get a vet bills than you can’t afford a horse . You shouldn’t have to be so tight on a budget that you chose you car over a vet bills.

ycbm

Visit site
I sorry but if you have pay vet bills over a few months every-time you get a vet bills than you can’t afford a horse.

I don't agree.

It's perfectly possibly to have £500 a month spare to pay instalments on a vet bill over a year while not, at the time the bill arrives, having £5k available to pay a big one.

All it takes is an unlucky string of accidents/incidents/Covid work loss etc to eat up a fund you might have saved.

Birker2020

Visit site
I sorry but if you have pay vet bills over a few months every-time you get a vet bills than you can’t afford a horse .

For the fourth time - I only worked 4 months last year due to Covid. I lost thousands of pounds but my outgoings were still the same. I had to take out a 0% credit card to stay afloat. I am now earning £71 a week less per week than I was due to HMRC ruling in April, that's nearly £300 a month. Parking has gone up again, I now pay £17.50 a week to park at work.

At the end of the day I will have paid my outstanding vets bill by mid June. The vets are happy with this arrangement, they understand that apart from about two months here and there over a period of five years I have been paying constant vets bills for my horse due to one thing and another.

Try and understand that Covid had had a huge impact on some peoples lives. Try and have a bit of compassion, sometimes life hands you a rough deal, or you find yourself in dire straits like I am now. Try not to codemn people and come out with sweeping statements like you have because the impact on those who are struggling is massive. Its really unfair.