How much to pay a show groom

WFL

Visit site
I am thinking of hiring a groom for shows as its f'ing hard work on your own and no fun. What is the going rate (per hour) to pay?

sikaran

Visit site
Last time I employed a freelance groom (AI) I paid her £8 per hour. I suppose to go to a show there would be extra for travelling and feeding them would be a good idea too!

sw123

Visit site
Its usually £50 - 100 per day depending on what your'e doing and how many million miles away you're going, leaivng at what ridiculous time adn how many horses!!! Also how nice the boss is and what food you get
smile.gif

Freelance tend to be £6-9 per hour so depends which way you want to pay them.

Rambo

Visit site
You want to pay them
shocked.gif

We just grab a willing individual off the yard and give them free entry to the show and offer them a burger for lunch
tongue.gif

WFL

Visit site
About what I was expecting then (£6-9/hour), plus feeding them.

Rambo - I think "free entry to an Intro BE Event and a burger" will not attract many takers.

What I need is an illegal immigrant from a country that relies on horses. They could live in my shed and live on scraps...

Weezy

Visit site
£6 an hour is ample - it is not exactly tough work being a show groom. If you want the horse bathed, pulled, plaited, etc then that is a different matter
laugh.gif

WFL

Visit site
I just want another pair of hands to hold Charlie, keep an eye on the lorry, sort out my entries, hold the beast when I try to mount, get me a coffee, etc.

WFL

Visit site
The running cost of a groom is less, plus I can fire them if their work is not up to scratch.

PuddingandElla

Visit site
I would love to pay a groom - but - no chance. I have to manage on my own. I was at show at the weekend and the judge said -"you can signal for your grooms to come in now" Ha - i just tried not to giggle... I am always on my own. I normaly end up just wiping her off with my glove!! he he. We still came second tho...

Bella3puff

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
The running cost of a groom is less, plus I can fire them if their work is not up to scratch.

[/ QUOTE ]

That made me laugh teeteetee I've heard that so many times and it always makes me smile.

I'd want burger and cake BTW but other than that I do it for free.

You need to try and find someone that loves it some much that will just go for the love or just pay

trundle

Visit site
Seriously? People have trouble finding helpers to do this sort of thing? I'd LOVE to do that, but all the people i know well with horses are either happy hackers who don't compete, or they have other friends who come along and support them. I want to start competing this year, so am getting as much time in at shows and seeing how other people do it, as I can.

(I don't know what's going on, I've never been a very competitive person, but since I've been back riding again, the urge to compete is driving me insane!)

Dovorian

Visit site
I agree totally - if I 'persuade' my OH to help it costs a fortune! Quite apart from feeding he still expects a treat as his reward (no, before you say it!), usually dinner at his favourite pub or a clay shooting session!

helenlaw23

Visit site
No one will do anything for nothing these days and thats sad!
frown.gif
I worked for a guy who does eventing a few years ago, i got paid about £150 a week (plus my horse for free) but i didnt care i loved it and was at an event sloggin my guts out every weekend for sheer love of it all.
Anyway to answer your question id say £50 a day max! They either want to do it or they dont!

Shipley

Visit site
I normally get £20 and lunch on the run, but I did get picked up and dropped ff before I passed my driving test! For friends I normally do it for free or take pony for a class they are not doing.

black_n_white

Visit site
I think £50 sounds very generous - from what you've said you want them to do it's not exactly hard work!

Isn't there anyone at your yard that can help you out?

darksided

Visit site
QR I'd do that for free for a mate lol, only I don't have any mates that event...
Although seeing as I've never done owt like that before I don't think anyone would want me haha! :p

disco

Visit site
Blimey after reading that lot on how much people charge I think I'll stick with taking my Mum!! (And I'm 39!)

Before I had my 1st pony I'd of done anything to go along and help someone at a show for FREE!!

If you dont know anyone that'll go along with you, just a suggestion here but why dont you put an ad up at your local riding school like "Competant Help Wanted at shows" I bet your phone wont stop ringing!

WFL

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Isn't there anyone at your yard that can help you out?

[/ QUOTE ]
All the horses at my yard are on full livery as we are all busy working people. I would not give up a day of my personal time to do it for someone else, so I would not have the cheek to ask them.

Dotilas

Visit site
I jump at the chance to go to any show.. Groomed at the Royal yesterday, dodging ruts and mini lakes with a mare and foal isn't easy LOL! I'm at school though, had the day off yesterday
blush.gif
Where abouts are you? All I ask for payment is the opportunity to take photos and maybe a burger
tongue.gif

WFL

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I jump at the chance to go to any show.. Groomed at the Royal yesterday, dodging ruts and mini lakes with a mare and foal isn't easy LOL! I'm at school though, had the day off yesterday
blush.gif
Where abouts are you? All I ask for payment is the opportunity to take photos and maybe a burger
tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Derbyshire. I like your pay rates! I might even stretch to chips with that burger
wink.gif

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
On The Show Ring forum, loads of people turn up to shows to groom for people (sometimes people they have only ever met on the internet!) - I think that we all understand how difficult it is trying to do it by yourself. I am lucky that I am on a professional yard, so always have someone around to groom for me, but even so, in the amateur hunter classes I have to go into groom for the other liveries, as they are not allowed to have pros in the ring with them. I quite enjoy grooming in the show ring.

mitchellk

Visit site
I used to do event grooming for a measly £20 per day and lunch if my boss remembered that non size 8's actually eat!!
Saying that tho, I wouldn't consider it now for less than £7per hour (and lunch!!) I used to do it for love, but im old and synical now ha!
In my opinion if you want someone who can do everything i.e. stud up, plait, quater marks etc then you will have to pay good money. If its just to hold the horse for you whilst you do all the work, then def don't pay anyone bribe a youth to help you. Might be wise to check on insurance as well- have heard a few horror stories about helpers being studded and things-ouch!