How much walking for a mini foal

Feverpitch

New User
Visit site
Hi all I am getting a new foal in a month. Have had them before but this particular one (mini Shetland) I have different plans for. One of the plans is as a walking companion carrying picnic etc. The other is as a visiting therapy pony. Just wondering how much walking across countryside in hand you think would be suitable to do with a foal. Just want her to get used to everything and be used to long distances but obviously will not over face a youngster. Any opinions welcome
?

Feverpitch

New User
Visit site
She absolutely can. I think she will
Enjoy walking out in the forest where I live. Im not ‘working’ her I will
Be spending time with her showing her the world. The other 23 hours of the day she will be in the field with my herd ?

windand rain

Visit site
I vote none too the fact you are walking her out is working her forced walking is not the same as walking loose in a field. I would take her out of the herd for no more than an hour a week for leading and loading lessons maybe five minutes a day to pick up feet and check over but I tend to do that in the field

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
She absolutely can. I think she will
Enjoy walking out in the forest where I live. Im not ‘working’ her I will
Be spending time with her showing her the world. The other 23 hours of the day she will be in the field with my herd ?

So you’ve answered your own question. You plan on walking her out for an hour.

Not my thing, but each to their own.

Last edited:

Feverpitch

New User
Visit site
I vote none too the fact you are walking her out is working her forced walking is not the same as walking loose in a field. I would take her out of the herd for no more than an hour a week for leading and loading lessons maybe five minutes a day to pick up feet and check over but I tend to do that in the field

many thanks. This is great advice ?

Feverpitch

New User
Visit site
You do seem to have made your mind up op and be looking for people to corroborate your plan, rather than accepting constructive criticism designed to maximize baby's welfare.

not at all just don’t want anyone thinking I am frog marching her around as opposed to ambling about but if general
Consensus is it’s not a good idea then that’s fine I will leave her to potter around the field ?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
echo all the above, my homebred yearling is now very well handled, but literally all she has done is very short bits each week on the basics (picking up feet, leading, being brushed, this year as a 1yo I taught her to load in the horsebox and tie up). She lives out and gets plenty of exercise in the field with her mate.

coblets

Visit site
I wouldn't be doing anything with a foal, apart from essential husbandry. What you could do is pop a headcollar on her and try to plod around her field with her for a few minutes.

Once she reaches around 18 months, only then would I be thinking about taking her for off-property walks, and even then I'd be keeping them short and sweet.

Visit site
Absolutely none at all! Leave the poor wee critter be to grow up with her own size and age group!

Mine lead in and out, have their feet done and that's it. They do bugger all else until they are yearlings when they learn to trot on the lead a day or 2 before the show if I plan on showing them. If I am not showing them as a yearling then they don't even do that. No need to.

Asha

Visit site
why would anyone consider a foal to be a 'walking companion carrying a picnic'. Just no, dont do it. If thats what you want buy an older pony.

windand rain

Visit site
why would anyone consider a foal to be a 'walking companion carrying a picnic'. Just no, dont do it. If thats what you want buy an older pony.
I think the idea was to get the foal use to walking out and once old enough to carry a few bits and pieces

Asha

Visit site
I think the idea was to get the foal use to walking out and once old enough to carry a few bits and pieces

ahh, ok. Sorry had visions of a poor wee foal trudging across the moors with a backpack on.

So, basically OP wants to take a foal, more likely a weanling for walks. Nope, still dont think thats right, unless its a walk to the field from the stable id leave well alone. Spend the time putting some basic handling in place and then let the foal enjoy being a baby in a herd.