How much would it cost to have a full time groom to look after horses at home?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Then that’s an opinion and it’s not mine .
I pay my freelancers mostly in cash because it’s convenient because they work irregular hours it’s not done to reduce cost .

Nobody was querying how or why you pay your freelancers. By my definition, you pay them cash in hand in a way which is completely above board. You pay them in cash, I assume they take it in their their hand ?

ycbm

Visit site

I'm Dun

Visit site
Pretty sure the Oxford English dictionary is the definition that should be used, so if you or others are using it differently, then you are wrong.

Given that it was referenced as cash in hand being cheaper, its very obvious what was meant, and thats the definition everyone else is referring to.

SOS

Visit site
I know this is derailing the thread a bit but you don’t have to pay cash to be tax dodging in some way. I was asked many times if I would take cash and be off the books as a groom, several times if I could be put on farm/other business books and paid as if I was an employee of that and one that used to transfer money under the name of different items of furniture each month. The former I said no too and the latter I just kept my side super clean and clear on invoicing what services I was providing for my own books.

I have also worked as self employed in the veterinary field and was never ever asked any of the above. But of course, it was a professional role and they were all registered businesses.

ycbm

Visit site
Given that it was referenced as cash in hand being cheaper, its very obvious what was meant, and thats the definition everyone else is referring to.

But I gave several other legitimate reasons why cash in hand might be cheaper. If Birker says she didn't mean cheaper "to avoid tax" then I think she should be taken at her word not attacked over and over and over again.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
If you are looking for 4 hours/day with no accommodation then you are unlikely to find anyone good in an employee capacity. You are talking freelancer, rates around £15/hour
I disagree. I’m good! Very thorough, reliable and do what I do to a high standard, I treat the horses as I would my own.
I’m slightly older though, so live with my partner and I guess lucky enough to be able to afford to only work part time.

flying_high

Visit site
£26000/52=£500 a week for a forty hour week is £12.50 per hour... I'm not surprised the yard's having trouble.

If it is 8-4.30, it could well be a 7 hour day? two 15 minute breaks, and an hour for lunch. Making it a 35 hour week. You would also expect 20 days paid holiday within that, and statutory sick pay for a salaried position.

I make that same £500 a week, but at £14.29 an hour, for 35 hour week, and well above the 2022 minimum wage for over 23 year olds. There are many yards paying minimum wage or close to it.