How much would this annoy you? Am I overreacting? :\

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
He'll be fine. The point is she shouldn't have done anything without your express permission or instruction.

Last edited:

Feathered

Visit site
He'll be fine. The point is she shouldn't have done anything without your express permission or instruction.

Totally this! I'm sure he'll get over it, just go back to your original plan. But! I'd be furious too, it's your baby, your horse, you pay his bills, you care for him, his future is in your hands, you make the decisions as to when he does new things and what he does, whatever they may be they are your decisions to make. I'd be seething!!

cambrica

Visit site
Well you have 4 pages of everybody saying exactly the same thing. She was completely irresponsible and stupid! She may well have years of experience but plainly lacks any common sense and obviously felt the need to impress you with her skills in handling a youngster. Pathetic!
I am in exactly the same position and stage of backing as you with my 4 YO. He's a Welsh and I know in the wrong hands it is potentially a recipe for disaster. Everything I do is well within his comfort zone so progression is slow but each session is rewarding and ends on a good note. That carries through to the next session.
Put it behind you now as what is done is done and carry on as you have been and enjoy your boy!

Fransurrey

Visit site
Wow, I'm speechless that anyone could be so stupid! Years of extra 'experience' mean nothing. On my previous yard, there were three people (including the manager) who had nearly 20 years on me. I wouldn't trust any of them with my ponies.

Screw the Christmas card. I wouldn't send her so much as a text. What an idiot! I imagine he'll settle down, though. Horses aren't stupid and he'll soon realise that you're a sensible two-legs.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
As someone else said, your friend was on an ego trip and ego's and horses don't match.

Your horse will be ok, I suppose he now knows what an idiot on his back is like. He'll be prepared if ever he meets one again.

I'd be pretty annoyed too. This lady was incredibly rude and disrespectful.

ShadowFlame

Visit site
Ex friend indeed. Ah well. Last time anyone but me gets on him, at least until the education comes on a bit.

Now I remember why I hate people and stick to horses lol. As I haven't put any pics of him on here for a while, here's the boy tonight, not looking too scarred by his ordeal...

IMG_20130821_191243_588_zps8b92b0a0.jpg
IMG_20130821_190939_856_zps0f3ef450.jpg

Last edited:

kittyb

Visit site
Ex friend indeed. Ah well. Last time anyone but me gets on him, at least until the education comes on a bit.

Now I remember why I hate people and stick to horses lol. As I haven't put any pics of him on here for a while, here's the boy tonight, not looking too scarred by his ordeal...

IMG_20130821_191243_588_zps8b92b0a0.jpg
IMG_20130821_190939_856_zps0f3ef450.jpg

He is absolutely gorgeous. Glad he's feeling ok after what must have be a very unsettling experience for him

Sunshine

Visit site
Agree with everyone else she was a complete prat. I think she has shown you how much she actually respects you and a real friend would have understood your reasoning, adhered to your requests and treated your precious boy with care. The only reason you would need a slap is if you hadn't given her a piece of your mind.

He looks like a real sweetie.

9tails

Visit site
As everybody on this thread has agreed that they would be as angry as you, who are you associating with that think this is nothing to worry about? It's hugely disrespectful and could put you back months as you don't want a youngster scared at this stage.

soot

Visit site
He very much looks like a baby - very cute! I'd be furious with friend, but then again I don't let anyone by myself and my very trusted trainer on my horses until they are about ... ooooh probably 8 years old and can look after themselves. I am super precious and not shy to tell people!

Nicnac

Visit site
Yes I would be furious but if he's 'unbroken' as per your first line in OP why did you let her get on him?!

NZJenny

Visit site
I'm with Nicnac on this one. Why on earth did you let her get on him in the first place? And as an owner of many Arabians, you need to keep things moving with them - they get bored very quickly and tend to find ways to amuse themselves if you don't keep life intersting and things progressing.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
You shouldnt have let her on him, being so early on in his training dont let anyone else ride him except you, she sounds like a right idiot to be honest not someone you want around you when backing a horse.

I have an Arab which I have owned since he was two I backed him, his 9 now only I ride him apart from my instructor and a very good friend who can ride very well, I have spent years training him and putting in all the hard work, many people hint they would like to have a ride but they will never get the chance, and thats the way I like it.

Last edited:

mytwofriends

Visit site
Firstly, he's beautiful!

Secondly, your "friend" sounds just like the sort of horsey person I can't abide. All ego and drama.

Hope she showed you some remorse when she saw you were upset at least?

ShadowFlame

Visit site
Yes I would be furious but if he's 'unbroken' as per your first line in OP why did you let her get on him?!

Oh here we go, typical HHO fashion :rolleyes:

As stated, I allowed her on him as a one-off exception because I considered her one of my closest friends. I ride her horses on a regular basis, she's been there for me throughout some rather difficult times over the past 12mths. She asked if she could, although its something I wouldn't usually even entertain I figured it wouldn't be a bad thing for someone experienced, responsible, and that I trust to just walk him round. As it was I was totally off the mark on what kind of person she is.

Please don't flame me for it. I'm not in the right mood to deal with rubbish from here aswell right now. Uncalled for.

ShadowFlame

Visit site
Firstly, he's beautiful!

Secondly, your "friend" sounds just like the sort of horsey person I can't abide. All ego and drama.

Hope she showed you some remorse when she saw you were upset at least?

And no, she didn't. The only question in my mind is whether to give her a mouthful of abuse before cutting her out completely.

Ruth_Cymru

Visit site
I'd be furious!

Who is she to decide what he should be doing? Sounds like she just wanted to show off, and demonstrate her self-apointed superiority.

I'm sure your boy will move on from this, Arabs are very clever and he'll know that it wasn't you that upset him. I would'nt be surprised if he shows this other lady exactly what he thinks of her if they ever cross paths again! There's nothing quite like an Arab scorned.

pip6

Visit site
Not worth giving her abuse, just don't let her near him again. Learn & move on, sure your lovely boy already has. It's very bad that your generosity & trust wasn't returned in an appropriate way. some people just aren't worth it. Not worth keeping her as a friend, you'd never be able to trust her again.

soulfull

Visit site
What a horrid woman! Sounds too me like she is one of those people that get a kick out of supporting people when things are going bad but that get really jealous as soon as things go well for them
I would be putting as much distance from her as possible

Nicnac

Visit site
Oh here we go, typical HHO fashion :rolleyes:

Please don't flame me for it. I'm not in the right mood to deal with rubbish from here aswell right now. Uncalled for.

Not flaming you; I said I would be furious. But then asked, what I thought, was a fair question. You don't think it's a fair question. Happy to disagree.

The_snoopster

Visit site
Well it sounds to me she was showing of infront of you and she totally cocked it up, however if she has been a good friend in the past maybe just learn to not let her sit on him again and move on with your friendship but keep her away from your horse.

Vinney

Visit site
I would'nt be annoyed I would be livid. How irresponsible both to herself and your youngster. I am having my 4yr old backed at the moment and know and trust the lady who is doing it. No way would she consider canter at this stage. My boy is now at the trot to voice stage and is a bit unpredictable with this at the moment. All I can say to you is dont let her near your youngster again as she could possibly undo any good you have done and install behaviour that may be difficult to undo.

ShadowFlame

Visit site
Not flaming you; I said I would be furious. But then asked, what I thought, was a fair question. You don't think it's a fair question. Happy to disagree.

Between you and NZJenny, it sounded like a flaming.

Said "friend" received an explanation last night as to why I no longer wish to associate with her. Thanks for the replies. Lesson well and truly learnt.