how much would you pay for diy livery?

rainyequine

New User
Visit site
Hello everyone, this is my first time posting on horse and hound, but I am having some issues with my livery.
I chose this yard as it is 200 yards from my back garden and the only yard I can access on foot or public transport as live in a secluded area.
Although I have just bought my first horse and honestly am I pleased and certainly not satisfied with my experience at this yard.

I won't say how much I pay per week, but I would just like a rough idea of how much you guys would pay per week for diy livery at a yard like this.
Yard facilities
-water
-electricity
-stable
-1/4 acre field
-good hacking

What the yard LACKS
-no school
-no grazing
-no hay/bedding included at all
-no feed
-no turnout/rug changes etc
-no secure fencing (horses have already escaped 3 times)

I feel like I am paying too much, and would like advice. Also the people are particularly rude and pushy, especially to my 15 year old daughter (it is a private yard with just one other horse)
The other horse is also bullying my (dependent) 4yo mare, bucking, biting and kicking at her.

In everyone's opinions how much should I pay and/or should I move and pay extra for transport to another yard??

Rosiejazzandpia

Visit site
As a comparison for you...
My new horse is currently out on 18 acres with 8 others in a mixed herd. We have great fencing, constant water supply and direct access to woodland for hacking. Field is a 10 minute walk or cycle from my house or a two minut drive. We don't have stables, but the horses have acres of natural shelter of trees and a round bale is put on once a week. We have two schooling paddock's with a sand school to be built this summer, and I pay £20 a week including hay and wormers when needed.

At my old yard we had the same as above but with a stable for £27, not including hay or straw and no school with rude and hostile yard owners, although this was only a two minute walk from my house

Arzada

Visit site
Aside from the cost I wouldn't leave my horse where she is at best unsafe and at worst at risk of injury from another horse. Have I got this right - there are 2 horses on 1/4 acre? And yours is being bitten and kicked at with hardly any space to get away?

PorkChop

Visit site
I thought DIY livery only included turnout and possibly a stable, everything else to be provided by you?

Obviously the unsafe fencing is an issue. Is the 1/4 acre for your sole use? If so I would put up some electric fencing, there is something to be said for your horse to be that close to home!

Shay

Visit site
Largely it doesn't really matter what you pay if the yard is not suitable for you and your horse. Anything without secure fencing - not matter how cheap - is too much in my view. And if they are being rotten to your daughter as well that would be the last straw.

Do you have other options though?

Vodkagirly

Visit site
It doesn't matter what people in other areas pay, you need to pay the amount that the yard wants. If you really can't get anywhere else you need to see how to secure the fencing. Otherwise you need to see what else is available in your area.

peanut

Visit site
^^ Agree with Shay. Furthermore, what one would expect to pay depends on what part of the country you are in and, unless I've missed it, you don't give an indication of this.

Micropony

Visit site
I don't see what cost has to do with it, those facilities sound unsuitable, inadequate grazing and unsafe fencing, so I imagine you are looking to move. Don't think you will get any useful information regarding prices as it varies massively across the country as land prices are so different. Just doesn't sound as though this yard is meeting your needs tbh.

xgemmax

Visit site
I would pay £25.00 per week (I'm in Kent). I currently pay £35.00 per week for stable, paddock, school and good hacking. DIY livery will never include hay/feed/turnout/rug changes etc and I would expect to pay these as extras. The fencing however should be safe

cowgirl16

Visit site
That setup sounds totally unsuitable. Makes my yard (which is crap) sound like paradise. The price you pay will depend to quite a degree, on the area you are in. I'm in Somerset and pay £20 per horse per week. So for my 2 horses I've got 2 stables, and my own small field. (about 2.5 acres). I do have to electric fence the field as the YO does no maintenance. We have to supply our own feed and bedding. Storage is virtually non - existant. We have use of a small arena, which is covered in poo as people use it as a turnout area. If it wasn't for the fact that I have my own little field and my boys can live out all year, I'd be out like a shot. Lovely as it is to have a place so close, I would have to sacrifice that for a more suitable yard. If transport is a problem for you, then I guess you're stuck between a rock and a hard place!
ETA. DIY livery means just that - you do it yourself! If you want extras like bring in/turn out, rug change etc. that all has to be paid for in addition to your livery, and would then be classed as assisted or part livery.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
There's no way I would keep my horse in such inadequate conditions so the answer is zero .

this. Plenty of people are happy on basic yards... but not unsafe yards and there's no point staying somewhere that is making you all unhappy. I wouldn't pay a penny and would be looking elsewhere pronto.

Amye

Visit site
I have to agree with the others... the yard doesn't sound very suitable. DIY can vary up and down the country and, from what i've seen, you can get very basic DIY (which sounds like your deal) or a DIY yard with slightly more (schools etc). Though DIY means do it yourself, so your horse care is up to you. I wouldn't expect to have rug changes or anything in a DIY package but there are yards that provide DIY and you can pay for extras on top of your basic (sometimes called assisted DIY). I'm on DIY yard but you can pay for extras if needed, it also includes straw and hay as it is a working farm and they grow this themselves.

I don't think there's much point commenting on price as it varies so much around the country. You haven't stated where you are so other people in your area can't suggest how much they pay.

If you're unhappy at the yard I would be looking to move - the location is ideal for you but if the yard is making you and your horse unhappy there's not much point in being there. Is it 1/4 of an acre for both horses? If so that sounds like not enough space for both horses. When you say your mare is 'dependent' does that mean she gets separation anxiety?? If the other horse is bullying her and they're in a small area she could be at risk of being injured. And anywhere that doesn't have secure fencing is a big no no. Are you and the other livery supposed to maintain fencing or is someone else? You need to get that sorted ASAP as it's not safe.

dizzyneddy

Visit site
Aside from the cost I wouldn't leave my horse where she is at best unsafe and at worst at risk of injury from another horse. Have I got this right - there are 2 horses on 1/4 acre? And yours is being bitten and kicked at with hardly any space to get away?

l second Arxada my ISH was kicked by another livery's bolsy bullying welsh cob & her injury meant she could no longer compete & needed rest until she could be ridden again. l was devastated because it took her nearly two years for her to recover properly before l could do light work again with her but l couldn't ever sell her. It's just isn't worth it l'd find somewhere else as it doesn't sound a nice place at all. That was a DIY yard nearby with a stable no hay/straw included, out in summer & in at night over winter. We didn't have a school but there was a small paddock made before l left 5 years ago. l would not keep my horse on a place where horses could escape because your horse could get injured or killed & some innocent party could be too so you & your YO would be liable. Some DIY yards have extras included such as hay/straw included & use of an arena whilst others have additional charges for bringing in/turning out & changing rugs. We just used to help each other & take turns at my old place & it worked well.

l moved when the opportunity came to rent a field (it's like gold dust in our area) it has a shelter & stable but it's nearly 8 miles away from home but l can do as l please it's has wonderful wildlife, lovely local hacking with the only downside to it being that it doesn't have electricity but l've got a generator. My landlord makes sure that fencing is repaired if we're unable to do it & if we need anything we just have to let him know.

I know your yard is on the doorstep but look around you might not want part livery but it's something to consider if you can't find anything really local & rely on public transport.

skint1

Visit site
I will echo what the others have said, however cheap and convenient this yard may be it is not worth the potential cost in vet bills or if your horse strayed and caused a lot of damage in some way. It sounds like there is nowhere near enough room for the horses (1/4 acre, it must be a mud pit about now)

Your geographical location will have some bearing on the cost of DIY livery and how much choice there is. In my area my daughter was recently looking for a yard for friend of hers, seems like the average cost is around £160 upward per month for DIY. What's included in that cost does seem to vary- some yards have a lot more facilities, better hacking, varying turnout arrangements, some include bedding and forage, some have the option to buy in extra services. For me personally, I'd rather pay a bit more and have better, safer facilities.

chocolategirl

Visit site
Hello everyone, this is my first time posting on horse and hound, but I am having some issues with my livery.
I chose this yard as it is 200 yards from my back garden and the only yard I can access on foot or public transport as live in a secluded area.
Although I have just bought my first horse and honestly am I pleased and certainly not satisfied with my experience at this yard.

I won't say how much I pay per week, but I would just like a rough idea of how much you guys would pay per week for diy livery at a yard like this.
Yard facilities
-water
-electricity
-stable
-1/4 acre field
-good hacking

What the yard LACKS
-no school
-no grazing
-no feed

I feel like I am paying too much, and would like advice. Also the people are particularly rude and pushy, especially to my 15 year old daughter (it is a private yard with just one other horse)
The other horse is also bullying my (dependent) 4yo mare, bucking, biting and kicking at her.

In everyone's opinions how much should I pay and/or should I move and pay extra for transport to another yard??
Nothing! Because frankly I would never keep my horse on a yard like this. Sorry thats probably not very helpful but you need to move ASAP. My yard charges £28 pw we have an arena with lights ( metered £1 for 1 hour) and mirrors X 8, 200 acres off road hacking, show jumps, solarium (£1 for 30 mins)hay and straw on site, well fenced paddocks with 24 hr grazing in summer. We don't make any money mind but there is a glut of yards in this area so the weekly charge is in line with everyone else.

crabbymare

Visit site
my horse would not be there at all. when you go to see a yard you should always check things like fencing and facilities before you move there. the cost can be as low or high as the yard want to charge and you have to decide if that is acceptable to you for what they offer. we all have to compromise on some things when we have horses but for me convenience will never be offset by insecure fencing.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
DIY will alays be do it yourself though & regardless of other facilities. Plus, I'm assuming you knew there was no sand school or facilities before you moved, so I don't think blame the YO or YM for that. I would have personally checked fencing etc before moving, but you live & learn.

I don't think you can blame the YO or YM for that, unless it was specifically agreed before hand that it would be included.

I pay £37.50 for stable, turn out, floodlit sandschool and direct access to off-road road hacking.

I have to pay extra for assisted (so turning out & bringing in/rug changes and so on) which is usually about £50-60 pcm plus the use of the sandschool lights on a meter, feed, bedding and so on.

However, I wouldn't be on a yard with unsafe fencing so I'd be looking at moving.

ihatework

Visit site
DIY will alays be do it yourself though & regardless of other facilities. Plus, I'm assuming you knew there was no sand school or facilities before you moved, so I don't think blame the YO or YM for that. I would have personally checked fencing etc before moving, but you live & learn.

I don't think you can blame the YO or YM for that, unless it was specifically agreed before hand that it would be included.

Agree with this!
They are offering what they are offering - it is your responsibility to assess if it meets your needs. It wouldn't meet mine.

I'm on Wilts/Gloucs border. A DIY rate for me is £34 a week for stable, individual grazing, storage on a well maintained yard with access to good hacking. On top of that I have to pay £2.50 per 30mins to use a large, floodlit, mirrored well maintained school. I am obliged to buy forage (and straw if used) direct from the yard but the quality and charge is reasonable so it's a non-issue. I'm also obliged to spend a minimum amount per week of services to the YO, which is fine because I need that level of assistance anyway. Overall it comes out reasonably expensive for assisted DIY when compared to an inclusive part livery, but the pros outweigh the cons

Last edited:

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
I thought DIY livery only included turnout and possibly a stable, everything else to be provided by you?

Obviously the unsafe fencing is an issue. Is the 1/4 acre for your sole use? If so I would put up some electric fencing, there is something to be said for your horse to be that close to home!

If you arenot happy, then move, maybe use a bike or other transport, I used to pay £25 pweek that included a.m turnout in winter.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
surely as you live so close you knew how much land there was for turnout/lack of grazing etc? and all the other things that are lacking?
I wouldn't have bought a horse if I had to keep it on 1/4 acre.

Mrs B

Visit site
I can't say how much I'd pay, I'm afraid - as however close to my house - I wouldn't be on a yard with not enough land, insecure fencing and rude owners.
I'd be paying for transport and move asap, in your shoes ...

Not sure what past of the country you're in, as you just say 'secluded', so comparisons are hard to make but as a for instance:

I am in East Devon near the coast. My horse is on DIY about 7 miles from me:

Large, well maintained box with rubber matting in one of 4 bays of open-fronted barns.
Own paddock, about an acre, with trough connected to mains water, fencing secure, hedges and shelter from trees.
30 by 40 school with full set of jumps and floodlights.
Excellent hacking into the forest straight from the yard.
Assisted livery as and when needed.
Y/O orders in hay, hayledge or shavings as and when you need it, settle up at the end of each month.
Kitchen, loo and plenty of dry storage space for tack etc and lovely, friendly owner.

£25 per week.

Janovich

Visit site
I'd be getting out of there A S A P.... I'm afraid there's no way i'd be keeping a horse in that kind of set up (and I use that term extremely loosely as that in my opinion is no where near acceptable).

I hope your young mare stays safe enough OP...and sincerely hope too that you give some serious thought to moving on and finding a better set up than you have presently. Good Luck in finding somewhere suitable if you do decide to move on.

rainyequine

New User
Visit site
Hi, thank u everyone for helping me out. I was generally looking to move and everyone has just second my point!
I know a lot of people are saying "DIY shouldn't include anything as it's do it yourself" but when I mean rug changes etc, my horse escaped (due to their horse kicking down the fence) and ran 3 fields across. When they found the horses (without informing us for 3 hours) they bought them back and put my horse in the stable, with a ripped to shreds turnout rug and a very sweaty pony underneath.

I am unable to move until Easter and quite frankly am stuck with what to do.
Honestly, I know I shouldn't have bought my mare here in the first place, but this is not what we was told was included. For example there is another 3-4 acres of land next door, which they claimed would be available to use by feb (when I got her), but now somehow the circumstances have changed and now she's sold that land.
I am just very upset as they expect us to replace a new fence, or at least go halves, although their horse broke it and is hurting my mare.

I really do not know what to do, as I cannot move until Easter at the earliest. And my teenage daughter (who's pony it is) is very distraught and worried about her horse getting hurt or escaping once again.

Maesto's Girl

Visit site
I pay £35 p/w and get:

4.5 acre field for 4 mares - 365 day turnout, 24/7 in the summer
Hay and straw
Stable
Semi-private tack room (shared with 3 others)
Amazing hacking
Basic school

Depending on where you are, I wouldn't pay more that £20 pw

Landcruiser

Visit site
The tiny field and bad fencing would put me right off, and rude owners would remove much of the pleasure of visiting my horse. The ONLY thing that yard has on the plus is proximity. If you are reliant on public transport in a remote area and want to do DIY I think you might be in trouble - I doubt you have too many buses to choose from.

KittenInTheTree

Visit site
That's simply not enough space for a horse, so I wouldn't be there. Our yard allows an acre per horse, with smaller half acre paddocks available at a lower price for very small ponies or restricted turnout purposes, etc. OH and I keep two horses and a small companion pony on two and a half acres, which we divide up and rotate as required.

ceva

Visit site

Yard facilities
-water
-electricity
-stable
-1/4 acre field
-good hacking

What the yard LACKS
-no school
-no grazing
-no feed

Hi,
I am on diy livery, it costs 18.50 for one horse,£15 if you have two or more, when I got there 3 years ago it was really untidy fencing not very good either, since I have been there we ( the other liveries) have done own fencing (mains electric). we have our own separate paddocks for each horse we do all the field maintenance but yo does harrowing and fertiliser. There are 8 horses , with 4 owners, we get on reasonably well and sort ourselves out, the horses are happy and healthy, and now the yard is Excellant and we have a waiting list. The stables aren't brilliant but we have all year turnout so only put in when really wet or hunt passing through, we can get hay on site, we all agreed to bed on shavings and buy in bulk, the place has been tidied up as was a bit of a tip to start with. We have reasonable hacking but no other facilities, but plenty venues in the area if you have transport. Went to local farm auctions for troughs etc. Much cheaper.
I think if you can work together be considerate to others a place can work well. I certainly wouldn't move now as am happy. Try to work together if not improve things for yourself. If you buy fencing etc you can always take it with you when you move on.