How much would you pay to train with a 'top' name?

alicedove

Visit site
I would pay about £45 for around 40 min.

Saying that, I have trained with a top trainer, Jenny Ward (once only) and she only charged me £35 and I sat on a horse of hers, longeing! I learned a lot from her.

I have also trained with another top trainer, list 2 judge, high level rider, and paid a fair bit, but felt I learned loads less.

I think you can get a lot from a lower level/lower priced person, you just need to "click" with them

H-J

www.piczo.com
I pay £40 for 45mins with my flatwork trainer and I pay £15 for a lesson with my jump trainer for around half hour.

For any other lessons I have like Lucy Thompson, Sarah Verney, Lucinda Green etc anything up to around £60 (usually for 2hours group lesson)

H-J

www.piczo.com
Clear some PMS!!
mad.gif
tongue.gif

ihatework

Visit site
To me training with a 'top' name doesn't necessarily mean anything to me, it's all about the quality of the training and from experience I don't always feel the top riders give that. I happily pay £35 to my instructor as I feel I get good training and excellent service.
She used to compete at a high level of dressage but since loosing her top horse she has completely stopped competing and now only trains, I doubt any of you would even know her name!
I would probably pay even more should the need ever arise, but might have to cut down the frequency.
I used to pay £45 for a monthly SJ lesson that was very beneficial.

Tempi

Visit site
I think Andrew is excellent value for money, i pay £35 for 30mins and i always come away having learnt a lot.

I pay around £30 for half an hr ish with Kay, but my lessons always go on for longer!! I also get a lot from my sessions with Kay
smile.gif

_jetset_

Visit site
They are cleared now
smile.gif

Ben_and_Jerrys - I agree whole heartedly with your comment. What I am trying to gather is whether those who do pay a lot for their lessons think they are worth what they spend, and for those who do not, what would they be preapred to spend if they could have anyone
smile.gif

Rachel1

Visit site
I pay £28 for 45mins with my regular trainer Keith Robertson and always get so much from it, he's helped me massively with all the horses I ride. Have just started going to Anna R-D once a month, she charges £50 for 45mins and is also worth every penny!

amandathepanda

Visit site
Last time I had a lesson with Spencer I paid 50 for 45 minutes and it was very beneficial. My regular trainer pays less but he goes to Spenny more frequently and usually takes a couple of horses at a time. Generally I find I learn as much from Nick who charges me 130 per week for full livery, training the horse and I get about 4/5 lessons a week for that which is exceptionally good value. Sometimes I do find it very helpful to have Spen take a look though as he follows the same methods as Nick but another pair of eyes and all that...

lizzieb

Visit site
I get free lessons as he owns my horse! It also gives him chance to see how his horse is progressing. He evented at 4* many years ago so I get his experience for free. I think he normally charges about £30 per hour.

A top eventer rides my sister's horse weekly for £20 for about 45 mins which I think is very reasonable. She normally charges £30 per hour but as we're regulars it's cheaper.

How much I'm willing to pay depends on how well I bond with the trainer and how much I get out of the lessons.

hotellie

Visit site
i saw an instructor advertising and they were £65 for 40mins ...this is too much for me!!!! i cant remember who it was either...i think a dressage rider!

Shipley

Visit site
I will pay up to about £45 for private up to 1 hour and group normally £60 as there can be 2 hours and its worth it all top names as such!

mossy

Visit site
I pay £45 and it's worth every penny, my trainer only comes over once every 5-6 weeks, which suits me as it gives me plenty of time to establish what i've learnt before the next lesson. I get so much out of each session that i would pay more if i had to.

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
Well my dressage instructor is £10 for 30mins but we always run over to near an hour. Although she is a bit of an unknown as she only teaches a few of us along side her full time job she was previously national novice champion before they split to open/restricted and has ridden at advanced level. would happily pay twice as much (if could afford it) as she is excellent and there is no doubt Fleur has improved hugely since I started having lessons with her.

I have though in the past had lessons with a few 'top' names. I had a private lesson with Jane Bartle Wilson which was £65 for 50 mins about 6 years ago but she was excellent, was on a schoolmaster as well (ex 4* eventer!) and learnt more about my seat/weight in that lesson they I did in years.

Others include £40 for an hour about 8 or 9 years ago with a fairly well respected dressage rider which I thought were completly useless and I didn't learn a thing and just ended up with a very tense pony, needless to say despite my mum thinking I should have more I said no thankyou as a waste of money!

only_me

Visit site
i pay £20 for a hour with an olympic eventer, soon to have free lessons with him!
laugh.gif

and £20 for a grade 3 listed dressage judge, and have one lesson once a month with sue carson for £40 for an hour

Seahorse

community.webshots.com
I paid £40 for 45 mins with Markus Bauer at his place (about 25 mins away) but he is now doing freelance and charges £45 to come to me.

I have a classical dressage instructor and she charges £40 for 1 hour and comes to me from Kent.

Leg_end

Visit site
I pay £30 p/h with a NZ eventer who comes to me. I love all my lessons and come away feeling like we've taken a step forward. I would pay up to £60 for a top name but would want to get value for money rather than just the brag factor
wink.gif

hotellie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
i pay £20 for a hour with an olympic eventer, soon to have free lessons with him!
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

how come u get free lessons...lucky you!!!

only_me

Visit site
the eventer wants to bring dad into a deal/partnership thing, and as part of it i get to have free lessons when i want/can go!! lol

its great
grin.gif
grin.gif

Bossanova

Visit site
Well I've *hopefully* just booked a lesson with a famous french Baucherist which is going to set me back £100 but, by all accounts, it'll be worth every penny for the opportunity to train with a classical master.
Normally I'd go to a maximum of £50 for 45mins with someone fab

I'd rather spend more on infrequent brilliance than less on frequent averagness!!

ReadyTeddy

Visit site
now thats something i am inpressed by. i didnt know there was such a thing. could you tell me who this is (PM if you like). The words of Baucher should be mandatory reading for all those who aspire to greatness along with one or two others of the great masters.

not_with_it

Visit site
I would pay £50 tops with someone I rated if it was regular. Dont think I would go more than that as my instructor is £25 and fantastic, I can have 2 lessons instead. I might be persuaded to pay more for a one off.