How often do you scrub your horses feed/water bucket?

Birker2020

Visit site
On the back of the 'how often do you pick out your horses feet thread' with answers that have totally shocked me!

How often do you scrub out your horses feed bucket/water bucket?

I know friends on previous yards never bothered to scrub their feed or water buckets on a daily basis and you could scrape your thumb on the bottom of the bucket and come up with a big clot of grey scum.
So honestly folks..... how often do you do yours.

I do my feed buckets probably every couple of days with a brush, otherwise chuck in a bit of water.

Stable water buckets are always scrubbed out religously every day. Field water bucket once every three days.

FFAQ

Visit site
I clean the water trough every 5 days or so. I swill the feed buckets out after each feed and scrub them once a week.

Sossigpoker

Visit site
Feed bowls daily , water buckets a couple of times a week.
Just left a very expensive livery where she couldn't be bothered to even rinse feed bowls out !

BallyJ

Visit site
Feed bucket - daily.

Water I top up daily but empty/scrub when it looks grubby usually 2/3 times a week.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Water Buckets get a quick scrub everyday , I don’t do the yard except at the weekend one day at the weekend they get a scrub with scalding water .
Bowls as needed as we feed dry food except to Fatty who has bran ( no front teeth ) they don’t it very often Fattys bowl getts hot water and scrubbed as needed .

tda

Visit site
Water baths in field/yard are scrubbed out when they start looking bit minty, every couple of weeks , more often in summer
Don't get regularly fed so feed buckets get rinsed out after use

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Feed buckets daily (they only get one feed a day).
Water buckets for stables daily.
Outdoor trugs for water, when they look mucky but they are refilled daily.
Sweeping daily.
Beds - Both skipped out/set fair daily, BH bottomed weekly, Rigs twice weekly. Both 3 bales a week chopped rape straw.
Feet picked twice daily when they move area, only once daily if Rigs is on his stable/patio and doesn't go anywhere.
BH pretty much washed daily :rolleyes:
Rigs has his legs clipped weekly, washed after clipping. Massaged daily (CPL and Mallenders, controlled with this though).
Hayshed swept whenever we finish a stack (3 stacks with 20 bales in each).

dottylottie

Visit site
feed buckets get rinsed daily, Lilys are the only ones that ever need an actual scrub (rubber), probably twice weekly.

water buckets are topped up throughout the day and scrubbed every other day or so - old yard had well water so water buckets scrubbed daily still went orange, but this yard thankfully has lovely clean water😂

meleeka

Visit site
Feed buckets when they look grubby (there’s a resident cob that licks them all clean!). Water buckets daily and the trough every other day.

eggs

Visit site
Feed buckets get rinsed out after every feed and get a quick scrub as and when needed.

Water buckets get scrubbed weekly.

Field troughs get cleaned out when they look a bit manky.

wiglet

Visit site
Feed buckets - after every use/feed, if you clean them like this, it literally takes seconds to clean them, it's more just rinsing them under the tap.
Water buckets in stable - every day
Water trough in field - around once a week in summer, less in winter, it's a self filling trough with water piped to the field.

Burnttoast

Visit site
Personally I would rinse out buckets after every feed and wash stirrers too. (In seeming contrast perhaps to my attitude to feet, but stale food on buckets and so on is not something found in nature.) My livery and other people who now help me aren't so fastidious but I have to weigh this against the fact that they're doing things for me because I can't do them myself.

JBM

Visit site
I feed turmash so if I just hose them after feeding time the leftover feed is still wet so just washes off very easy!

Chappie

Visit site
Rinse my feed buckets out pretty soon after the two feeds a day, they don't sit in the stables overnight so not much chance to get dirty - and scrub them if I do see any dirt. They look like new and I've had them years! (flexitubs).
The prince has a water bucket which gets scrubbed by me once or twice a day.
There is also a drinker which is operated by pushing with his nose which neither he nor I like, he don't use it but I wipe it every day though anyway.
The princess has a drinker which gets inspected daily by me and cleaned out at least once a week or when needed if it doesn't look fresh.

Very few others there EVER clean their buckets or their drinkers! I really hope this isn't typical, I can't imagine it would be? :(

Ratface

Visit site
Feed bowls scrubbed out twice daily. Stable water trugs scrubbed out and refilled once a day. Water containers in the fields - self filling and checked daily for anything unwanted within them. Scrubbed and washed out weekly, filled with fresh water.

SEL

Visit site
Feed buckets daily. Water buckets in stables daily when they're in (current just in briefly am & pm).

Buckets in fields weekly unless the pigeons have pooped in which case emptied & cleaned

expanding_horizon

Visit site
Feed buckets scrubbed daily as fed mash.

Water trough checked daily, leaves fished out, refreshed when needed. Scrubbed out a few times a year.

Don’t use stable regularly but fresh water daily, buckets scrubbed every few days.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Although, I've always scrubbed mine with a brush daily, now I'm on full livery, the buckets are always sparkling inside and out. It's a 60 horse yard, how on earth does the YO keep such high standards ?

Esmae

Visit site
Feed buckets daily. Water buckets in stable are emptied daily and refilled and brushed out a couple of times a week. Field troughs weekly unless there is something unmentionable in them then done as necessary.

spottypony90

Visit site
Feed buckets whenever they get really dirty as mine lick them clean, water buckets - in stable I change them and clean them out every few days in summer and every other day in winter if they are in overnight. They aren’t in that often else is so it more often. Field water troughs every 1-2 weeks in summer and winter as necessary.

Callieann

Visit site
Feed buckets, after every use. Water buckets every day. Field trough is cleaned out every week, sometimes more in warmer weather as I don't like to see any algae or bits of leaves in the water. I'm quite fussy though. I rinse my wheelbarrow and tools after use too

Elno

Visit site
Feed bucket- daily. I don't want to eat from a dirty plate and reckon that my horse doesn't either.

Water buckets- every day to every couple days (her water bucket/trough is 90 L outside. If it's her bucket in the stable that can hold 25 L then daily).