How often do you see your horses?

xRobyn

Visit site
Twice a day when stabled - will probably go up to three because he has now decided he wants in at 4.00pm but I don't give him all his hay, just a section until about 6pm when I give him his proper overnight hay, once when out 24/7 (summer).

littlescallywag

Visit site
Weekdays,Between 2- 4 hours every evening as yo turns out and weekends I see them twice a day as yo doesn't work.
If I don't get to see them I worry.
At last yard I let them stay out a few days in summer and still went up every morning and afternoon, to the disgust of other liveries :)

Three

Visit site
They're physically checked every day, twice a day, 365 days a year and their fields and stables are driven or walked by several times a day, either by me or friends at the yard.

I'm on a biggish yard so my yard manager or best friend does morning and evening checks if I can't get to them myself. If they're living out they're called to the gate, fed (even if it's only a treat or a handful of chaff) and physically checked, bumps and damage etc. When they're in at night they're checked before they're turned out in the morning and again when they come in at night.

Everyone at the yard looks at everyone else's horses in passing and anything unusual gets reported back pretty fast. Whilst there are downsides to livery yards it certainly means that the horses are well checked!

Enfys

Visit site
Everytime I look out of a window :D

001.jpg

From the kitchen.

ps, although we have had snow today this was taken earlier this year.

Janah

Visit site
Twice a day. Though my boy is checked 3 times a day as other livery has a different time to me pm. I also check hers.

Enfys

Visit site
^^ that is my dream....

....Jealous much

It isn't all sunshine and roses though, sometimes I'd love to have a YO to tell "the fence is down, the water is frozen, the power is off, so-and-so is lame" etc, etc. I haven't had a night away for 5 years :(

From my bedroom window, they are usually all round by the water tanks first thing in the morning, convenient for a quick headcount.

018.jpg

Rose Folly

Visit site
About 20 times a day - they're at home! But, as Enfys says, there are downsides - though not many. Sometimes even 20 times a day, as in recent conversation:

Local Farmer: "Your horses are away up the village street".
Me: "No, no, not mine"
LF: "Yes, definitely yours".
Me: They were grazing in the field 5 minutes ago".
LF: They were trotting past the pub 2 minutes ago!"
He was right.................

Enfys

Visit site
Local Farmer: "Your horses are away up the village street".
Me: "No, no, not mine"
LF: "Yes, definitely yours".
Me: They were grazing in the field 5 minutes ago".
LF: They were trotting past the pub 2 minutes ago!"
He was right.................

LMAO :D That sounds familiar!

At 6.30am one day last week my cell phone was ringing, turned out to be a neighbour saying he was outside the house with a horse he'd found in one of his cornfields 3 kms away, his daughter had sat on the tailgate of the truck and they'd led it down here.
So, I went out and it wasn't one of my horses at all.
One palomino looks much like another in the dark, and I have 4 of them so a reasonable conclusion that it may have been mine.
It took until the afternoon for the local grapevine to discover who it did belong to and until the next day for them to come and collect it.

Last edited:

Chavhorse

Visit site
Sadly only every 8 weeks for 4 days at a time.

I live in Holland and he is on Exercise Livery in Kent.

Luckily I trust the yard he is on implicitly and each time I see him he looks and is going better and better.

Whenever I go and see him I spend all day with him just grooming or hand grazing or sitting in the paddock inanely chatting.

Hubby is currently looking at jobs in the UK.....fingers crossed.