how often do you ...

CJ1

Visit site
Do you people have the babyoil on standby every grooming session? W never gets his out when im around unless its to pee, and i aint going near it then!

Tia

Visit site
Never. I think I have 7 or 8 geldings and 1 stallion and this will be the 3rd year I have owned them and not once has any of them needed cleaning. I do check once in a while that they don't have the Bean.

pagancluf

Visit site
I've always wondered whether I should do or not - so have only taken the opportunity to take "cornflake like thingys" off when he is "letting it all hang out" lol.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
I think that bbmat is the one with the correct information. There are no geldings in the wild to the various antics they get up to would help clean the sheath. Yet again man has interfered with them & now geldings don't get up to anything they need to be cleaned, some more frequently than others. It's not a pleasant job but should be done.

Here is a link to an amusing wat of doing it:-
http://jmatt.net/ElecEq/sheath.html
smile.gif
grin.gif
laugh.gif
crazy.gif

Enfys

Visit site
I thought about this one and have to say that in the 4 years I had my gelding I never touched him, it never looked gunky so I just left it alone. It certainly isn't part of their daily checkover. I do wipe under tails though, can't stand dirty bums.

Sali

Visit site
I'll do my mares every few months with warm water, but will do it more frequent when their in season, especially Shammi as she gets quite disgusting!

tremorfa

Visit site
As geldings don't get to use their bits, and therefore can't clean them, I was told (by a gypsy) to use udder cream. I put rubber gloves on, get a good dollop, then put my hand gently into the sheath and smear ir all round. You can also use the movement to loosen any "crud". I have to say that my boy goes a bit glassy eyed when I do this and my OH looks distincly uncomfortable.

alsxx

Visit site
In the 14 years I've had my gelding - only once
crazy.gif
and that was when he decided one time he didnt fancy having his teeth done and had to be sedated - took full advanage of his dopey state! Lol!

barkinghorse

Visit site
Not read all the posts so sorry if this has been mentioned.
the gunk is cancerous to humans, if you do wash/touch it, make sure you wear rubber gloves.
My vet doesn't agree with over washing, she reckons if it becomes really bad stick some gloves on and pick it off.
i washed Will's willy once and the next day it looked the same so have left it.
Jo

Theresa_F

Visit site
Normally just use water - in the summer when they are sweaty and being hosed off stick the hose up the sheath - the boys love it.

In winter unless very horrible looking leave it - Chancer does sometime get mud and grit up it which I sloosh out with warm water.

If they are dangling - give them a quick rub to get any bits off - they also rather enjoy that - Chancer a bit too much
blush.gif

harrihjc

Visit site
umm never yet, but i have only had him 2 months. I'm not sure if he realises he's a gelding yet from the way he behaves around my mare, so i'm a little wary of going there lol!