How often does your horse see a masseuse, etc?

holeymoley

Visit site
A bit of a long winded title but couldn’t think what else to title it as.

So, as above, How often does your horse get a massage, back person? etc etc

I’m curious as after my gelding’s nasty spell of box rest, before he went back in to work I got a massage lady to see him just to get rid of any tense muscles and knots he’d more than likely acquired, and to see if there was anything obvious I should be aware of when starting him again. She was fantastic and got a lot of knots out and there was definitely a big improvement from the first session. He’s had another 3 since. All roughly 4-5 weeks apart. He’s going fabulously and back in to full work. In the second last session he had minimal tension/knots and on the last session he had nothing, the only thing to work on was to increase his core muscles which we are working on with his school work( I decided to bring him back in to work with hacks and straight lines for a bit before doing any schooling at all).

So, she’d like to have him booked in every 6 weeks.... what’s your thoughts on this? He is 17 and we have no plans to compete again, perhaps a few riding club activities but that’s all. Its a bonus that he’s bounced back and is rideable so he won’t be pushed over his limits. Personally I feel every 6 weeks is a bit excessive, especially as he has no obvious problems. Would every 3 or 4 months be outrageous or more the norm?

ihatework

Visit site
I personally wouldn’t pay for a massage but instead use an exceptional physio - she generally spend 2hrs a session and it includes various techniques.

Frequency is a little dependant on the horse and work/competition schedule but in general a pre-season session plus 2 mid season sessions. If you were needing 6 weekly to maintain a horse I’d be bringing the vet in

holeymoley

Visit site
Thank you. He’s absolutely sound and in no way needing the vet, he’s bounced back better than before! I was slightly skeptical about every 6 weeks, but wanted to see what everyone else thought.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I think it depends on the horse quite a bit, the type of work you are doing or aspiring to do, and what you can achieve yourself in terms of improving the horse's body.

One of my retired girls always got tension behind the saddle so saw the physio every 3 months or so just to keep on top of it.
My advanced horse literally never has anything to work on so I just don't bother any more.
The ROR had a physio when he had started his ridden retraining, I knew he was crooked but wanted to wait until I could work him to maintain what she did.
She said to call her if I felt that he needed doing again. At the moment he is getting more supple and more even week on week and I feel that is good feedback from him, and I'm happy that he hasn't got any new tight spots so I will leave it a little bit longer. He's gone about 3 months so far.

I personally wouldn't have a masseuse, I have an ACPAT physio each time.

oldie48

Visit site
I also use a physio and tbh it depends on the horse, it's level of work etc. Rose had had a long time off and was changing shape and building muscle very rapidly. She's quite sensitive so I prefer to have her checked regularly so I know there's no soreness or tightness. Physio and I decide when to have the next check depending on what she finds but it has been as frequently as monthly in the early days.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I do about six to eight weeks but will only use a Acpat physio who can do everything and massage lady can do and a lot more besides .
However atm we are monthly .
I have a new horse and I like them done monthly at first and two horses hunting who will get done monthly over the season

Irishcob6

Visit site
I have the physio out every 3 months and she spends a good 1.45hr-2hrs each visit as horse tends to get quite tight, then on her advice/vets advice i normally get the chiropractor out once a year

BlackRider

Visit site
I used to have mine down every 4 weeks, but he had a locking stifle and used to get tight in his ham strings.

If your horse doesn't have an underlying issue and was fine at the last check up, I'd leave it perhaps 3 months and get him checked again.

Leo Walker

Visit site
I use an equine sports massage person roughly every 8 weeks. Theres never really anything found, usually a bit of tension round where the driving collar sits, sometimes little tight patches here and there and once she found a knot in her bum muscles. I just consider it general maintenance, and something that would hopefully pick up any niggles before it was a huge issue.

I see a similar human version every month and know how much it helps me, so the least I can do is provide the same for my horse who works her socks off for me.

Sasana Skye

Visit site
When my mare had her back issues in 2017 she had physio twice a week for 4 weeks at first. Thankfully all covered under insurance as the vets were involved and recommended it done as much as possible. As she got better it went from twice a week, to once a fortnight, to once a month, to once every 3 months and now at every 6-8 months and we're finding only little niggles here and there at that point but it's mostly a preventative.

Never used a masseuse but my physio did teach me some massages and stretches that I should be doing between visits and I try to do them a couple of times a week, I also have a EMS machine that I use on the horses' days off so once or twice a week at most each. Both horses are in work, some of their work is quite demanding but day-to-day it's mostly just hacking for an hour or so a day.

Last edited:

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
No underlying issues just some tightness in right hamstring related to foot balance my farrier is improving, so every 3 months with theraplate in the 2 months in between.

The horses at my old RS got every 3 to 6 months depending on how popular they were and weight carriers were seen every 3 months. I know my lad doesn't work that hard so I'm probably overdoing it.

Moogleberry

Visit site
My boy was having the chiro every six months for routine check and to loosen a stiffness in his back from an old injury, we changed to every five months as we found if we did this the stiffness hadn’t re appeared, have an extra session if I have any worries.

He doesn’t have a big workload, lesson once a week for flatwork plus hacking around three times a week and any extra schooling sessions if I can squish one in

JFTDWS

Visit site
I have one who never needs anything doing, so he rarely sees anyone - they always remark on how unusually even and unproblematic he is. The other two are less even and more naturally one-sided / less well schooled at this point, but are also not problematic and don't seem to benefit from it hugely, so they don't get done very often either.

Magnetic Sparrow

Visit site
Mine sees a chiro every 3 months. She does go better after than before treatment, but to be honest she enjoys it so much I would probably continue even if the chiro found nothing wrong.

catkin

Visit site
Depends upon circumstances how often. At present the pony is changing the type of work he is doing and now needs an adjustment to his saddle, so he has had two massages about six weeks apart - he will have another when his saddle returns.
He does so enjoy it and it seems to help. Longer-term the frequency would be less, usually I go on whether the horse feels tight/onesided/NQR etc. The masseur can do humans as well so they do me at the same time.

tiga71

Visit site
Depends on horse and circumstances.

I have an osteo out to mine.

Izzy is 21 and has bony nodules in neck, dodgy stifle and a few other little niggles. He is seen every 6/8 weeks.
Floyd is 10, was seen every 2 months or so for first 12 months I had him as he had a very bad poll. Now he is seen every 6 months unless I feel he is sore.
Tiggs is 8 and is a new project horse. He has a lot of issues, SI problem, sore back etc. Right now he is being seen every 4 weeks. Think he will probably need every few months to keep on top of SI issue when he is being ridden.

RachaelJC

Visit site
My lad sees the physio every three months and I do carrot stretches in between visits to keep him supple and help to strengthen his core and topline, on physio advice.

Loubidy

Visit site
I'm not convinced on massage - anyone can do the course it costs about £1500 and only involves about a weekend of practical training. Physio on the other hand I tend to get out once a year and how ever many times they feel they need to come back after that, sometimes she feels he needs done again in two weeks other times she's happy to leave him.

FinkleyAlex

Visit site
I don't use massage or 'back people' as their qualifications are often worthless. I use an ACPAT registered physio once a year, and more recently an osteo. I have to say he's responded much better to the osteo and it looks like he will have osteopathic treatment every few months for his tight shoulders. I use an osteo myself every 6 weeks for a back injury and couldn't cope without mine!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
When I can see or feel something wrong or when they stop progressing in their schooling and I can't identify why, I use a qualified physio. I had my TB seen when I bought him because he was so obviously atrophied in the back and very rigid through the shoulders and I wanted him checked out before he did much work.

Petalpoos

Visit site
Never. I just do hacking and used to do club level competing but have never seen the need for anyone to come and see my horse other than vets and farriers. Maybe just too old school, or maybe my horses have been suffering in silence (I know, as they do anyway), but I am generally wary of all of the services that seem to have grown up around horses and are now seen as a necessity, even for happy hacker horses.

If what we do puts horses into a position where they need constant attention to correct damage to their backs etc then maybe we should consider what it is we are doing to them to cause the issues, at which point I can see the value of a professional who can, perhaps, identify the causes. Interesting topic as I know that top level sports people have lots of massages, physio etc., so maybe it is an inevitable consequence of working bodies, human or equine, to the point where they break?

windand rain

Visit site
Had one session of mastersons on one pony and a masseuse for a different one when she was on box rest after surgery. The pony enjoyed the massage but the mastersons made little long term difference to the other and thats it in 50 years of owning horses. Not a huge believer but if you find helps good

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I've seen too many people lulled into a false sense of security by quarterly visits by bodyworkers who release a bit here or a bit there and miss the fact that the horse had a serious issue that needs veterinary attention. If the short term fixes weren't done, the horse would make it clear earlier that there is a vet issue going on, and some of them might be caught in time to rescue a ridden career, or even a life.

I realise this is balanced by body workers who spot problems early that the owner hasn't noticed, and horses usually like the massage type work, so this is probably a 'horses for courses' one where people should do what they feel is right for them.

It does disturb me, though, how slow many bodyworkers are to suggest the horse is seen by a vet.

Tarragon

Visit site
From a human perceptive, I always go for a massage if I am out with friends on a Spa day, as I really enjoy the experience and feel good afterwards. I also had some sessions with a chiropractor after I ended up with a misaligned coccyx after having my youngest child, which was the only thing that helped.
So, depending on the horse obviously, if they enjoy a massage and you are in a position to fund it, then why not? Even better, learn how to do basic horse massage and do it yourself.
And, if there is a medical reason for treatment, then use the appropriate professional.

catkin

Visit site
It does disturb me, though, how slow many bodyworkers are to suggest the horse is seen by a vet.

This has not been my experience.
They also should ask for vet's permission to treat in case there is something in the horse's veterinary history that contra-indicates the treatment (the ones I use did)

Sasana Skye

Visit site
This has not been my experience.
They also should ask for vet's permission to treat in case there is something in the horse's veterinary history that contra-indicates the treatment (the ones I use did)

Yep, I believe that's the law! My experience has always been vet first, physio second. I wouldn't have my horses backs manipulated without prior veterinary consent.

In answer to OP's original question, every 6 weeks does seem a tad excessive for a horse who doesn't have a demanding workload. I would vote for quality over quantity and seek a registered physio - your vet can give you a recommendation for one.

Last edited:

Taliesan

Visit site
I've trained to do Equine Touch (a form of non-invasive and gentle bodywork for horses) and I give my two sessions whenever they need it. For Apollo this is pretty frequent at the moment (every couple of weeks or so) as he had ulcers and was carrying quite a lot of tension in his back from this. Jack tends to get a session about once every two to three months depending on his workload and how he is feeling.

In addition to the work I do myself I also get a qualified craniosacral therapist to work on Apollo every six months and Jack every twelve months.

I don't think there is any set answer on what is a correct amount of time - it all depends on the horse, their workload and if they have any underlying compensatory issues that need regular attention to keep the horse comfortable.

holeymoley

Visit site
Thank you to everyone for your replies, much more than I imagined there would be!

I do carrot stretches with him every night. I’ve had him since he was broken in, so can normally tell when somethings just not ‘right’. He’s very well schooled, the lady I had training both of us when we were younger was an ex Olympic eventer so very old school taught and she explained each muscle and what it was doing and why.

I suppose even in the last 15years or so there’s been a rise in the professions such as these, I don’t think we ever had anything like that visit her yard or if we did it would be a once a year thing. I am skeptical about the 6 weekly appointments, I’d rather not be led up the garden path.