How to calm a scared horse

Keira 8888

Visit site
Ive used a rope and a normal halter. If they are going backwards frankly i don't think it makes a difference. Its natural for them to pull away from anything constricting. You will never win no matter the halter. Its about timing and knowing when to let them have time to think, asking to walk on, giving them a little correction when they are about to be silly but preempting it etc....lots of it just comes with knowing the animal, expierence reading horses etc.
Hmmm yes I thought that might be the case

So the more I get to know him, the more I will (hopefully) be able to anticipate things

That makes sense

Thank you xx

Equi

Visit site
Ground work when in a calm state really is the best help ever though. Teaching to stop immediately when you do and back up if you just take a step back, coming forward with you on a loose rope etc will help in so many situations. If its ingrained in them its a tool you can use to "distract" them if they are suddenly overwhlemed. Its like "ok im scared but shes asking something i know and i know what to do in this situation"

My lad used to be very bolhsy when i got him and at times was very hard to lead...eventually i got him to the point that if i stopped, even in he was in full forward walk, he would grind to a halt and automatically take a step back. Hes a lot better to lead now but can still charge on faster than the human sometimes so i still need to give him a little reminder now and then but he is 90% better and a shake of the rope will slow him.

As for back wards, my colt would stop and pull back at almost anything.. i didn't give it much thought cause he was a tiny little colt learning lol but i used the same method of ground works...stop when i stop, walk when i walk, turn when i turn. If he pulled back, he went as far as he went then start again.

Last edited:

Keira 8888

Visit site
Ground work when in a calm state really is the best help ever though. Teaching to stop immediately when you do and back up if you just take a step back will help in so many situations. If its ingrained in them its a tool you can use to "distract" them if they are suddenly overwhlemed. Its like "ok im scared but shes asking something i know and i know what to do in this situation"
In your opinion, if this groundwork is ingrained and worked on consistently, do you think it would help a horse to settle in a stressful situation? Eg their training would over ride panic? X

SEL

Visit site
In your opinion, if this groundwork is ingrained and worked on consistently, do you think it would help a horse to settle in a stressful situation? Eg their training would over ride panic? X
Yes! My mare's default was spook, buck, bolt a few years back and if you hung on you would get kicked her flight response was so strong.

She's had a lot of time off ridden work with leg problems so we've done groundwork and she's been led out in hand. We still have the odd time when she grows to 19h and snorts but now her attention is on me. If I'm relaxed (I sing to fake it!) then she gradually deflates back to 15h. I carry treats for both distraction and reward.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Just popping back to this thread for a more thorough read as today share horse took great exception to a newly place stack of hay under a tarp (the absolute horror!) on the way in from his field. Did a bit of a dance around me but stopped, I let the hand holding nearest his headcollar go to give him more room on the lead rope but kept hold. Thankfully he didn't feel the need to go far...mostly just 'hid' behind me where it was safer. Obviously he was happy to sacrifice me to the tarp monster! Encouraged him to walk past again in each direction and to stand and have a look while doing his best dragon impression. Not sure if that was the best thing to do but we both got to the yard unharmed and I'm sure he'll get over it when it's not new any more. As I'm getting to know him, he does seem more bothered by things when not being ridden - don't know if that's a thing? Out and about not much bothers him except, I am learning, wheelbarrows...including 'his' one he sees every day, if it's not where it's supposed to be!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Yes! Do you remember that spook??? He hasn’t done it since but without you by my side I find I’m lacking in confidence.

I know I shouldn’t play the “what if” game but my neurotic mind is constantly pestering me. Youve told me so many times about hat and gloves - I really need to get organised and do this. I get so involved with getting him ready that I forget the important stuff!

I will make good strides from now on. I guess its intimidating to be in charge of the big old fur ball.

I need to toughen up!!

Kxx

I am going to get cross now!:mad:
There is no point in going through all the worst case 'What if' scenarios if you don't even take the basic precautions of wearing hat and gloves.;):p

Lyle

Visit site
Just my opinion...

Groundwork first in a roundpen or arena, establish fundamentals such as yield the hind quarters, back up etc. I just have to look at my horses quarters and they yield and give me two eyes. So in a spook situation, the horse shoots off and if I need to tug on the lead (I use a stiff rope halter and a 12ft line) as well as look at the quarters, they will yield and face me. This then allows me several options depending on the nature of the spook (genuine fright or simply trying to be a sod) such as give the horse a rub, yield the quarters a few more steps to get them thinking, back them up etc. If the horse has spooked at something, I will then quietly put them through a desensitising routine, such as advance retreat, resting near the scary object etc. But again, this is all started previously in the roundpen, in order to teach the horse how to think and subsequently relax about scary things. Horses aren't born knowing this stuff, but it's amazing how confident they get when they have the tools to respond to requests and to shut down an adrenaline fuelled response.