How to convince friend a stallion is a bad idea?

gallopingby

Visit site
I don't think being a stallion is a problem as long as the facilities are OK. As already said stallions are usually easy to manage depending on how theyve been treated. However there does seem to be a trend to have a stallion in the misinformed view it will have more presence and therefore show better. In my view there are far too many stallions about how should be geldings. My main concern would be that a Fresian stallion is a big strong horse and could become difficult to manage if not looked after properly and with the correct facilities. Personally I'd go for a different breed if she's sure she wants a stallion. Some stallions are very easy to manage, mine is really laid back but he's not a friesian and is regularly worked and happy to be ridden in mixed company and covers inland without any stress.

[142807]

Visit site
why don't you think he is suitable? Everything you have explained so far suggests he is a nice horse who is regularly ridden and your friend caring, presumably thinks she is capable of riding him and seem to be caring in looking after them and, the main point, even has her own place.

I don't expect the stallion will react to her gelding. Mine doesn't. Happily shares a field. My previous one didn't either. He shared a field with whatever gelding I had at the time and rode out with him. Sometimes he shared his field with a donkey and at other times with my pig. He was just another horse.

Your worry really seems to be looking after him when she is away. He will just be another horse and you will soon learn to deal with him. Are you perhaps worried because you lack experience with stallions?

He sounds lovely and if she really likes him and his personality as a horse then she sounds to have an excellent set up for him. I can't see why he would be dangerous.
Why not go and visit him with your friend and get to know him. You may like him. I can totally understand her wanting a stallion and she seems to be lucky to have the facilities to do so.
Agree with you, if the horse is nice (there are nice stallions) and facilities are secure I don’t why she shouldn’t go for it. Of all the horses we get in the troubled ones are usually geldings. The stallions if treated correctly are pretty straightforward and accommodating. At the end of the day it’s her decision and her financial commitment.