How to eradicate mite infestation?

Melandmary

Visit site
Last year i adopted a pony with mites. She had dectomax injections and i thought it was sorted. This winter my 3 have all lived together sharing a barn for shelter and i can see that my other 2 now have feather mites. Also yesterday while brushing the old one big clumps of hair came off her leaving an almost bald patch. What would be the best way to tackle this? I was thinking dectomax injections alround and then keep on top of it with spot on for dogs? It isn't warm enough for bathing yet except for the legs.. I know i need to get rid of all the bedding. Previous to little pony coming i have never had to deal with these little blighters. Any advice would be welcome. ?

Highmileagecob

Visit site
Selsun 2.5% shampoo will kill mites. Treat all animals that live together, whether itchy or not. Complete bath from ear tips to soles of feet on day one, day five and day ten (sorry - I know it's a bit like scrubbing a carpet!). Make sure it gets down to the skin, leave on for ten minutes, and rinse well. By the second bath she may well have stopped itching, but the follow up baths are needed to catch the hatchlings. After that, a leg wash when needed is enough to keep the little critters under control. Selsun 2.5% may be a little difficult to source, but good old Fleabay usually locates a seller. My cob has stayed clear for around eight years using this method, and a couple of leg washes a year keep on top of it.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Along with everything else I find plenty of neem oil helps keep them at bay. If the horse isn't sensitive to it and you can bear the mess and smell.

Melandmary

Visit site
Highmileagecob i saw your post last week abput the selsun shampoo. It was about 35-40quid for 150ml bottle. My big cob would need 2 of those for 1 full bath due to having the equivalent amount of mane and tail as 3 regular cobs?. Also the little one has never had a bath and made her opinions on that very clear when i tried last summer hence wanting to go down a route that didn't involve alot of bathing. I could do all their legs with it but not full baths till summer.. Are the dectomax injections not an effective solution as thwy are probably the easiest option? Thankyou for your reply ?

Gloi

Visit site
Highmileagecob i saw your post last week abput the selsun shampoo. It was about 35-40quid for 150ml bottle. My big cob would need 2 of those for 1 full bath due to having the equivalent amount of mane and tail as 3 regular cobs?. Also the little one has never had a bath and made her opinions on that very clear when i tried last summer hence wanting to go down a route that didn't involve alot of bathing. I could do all their legs with it but not full baths till summer.. Are the dectomax injections not an effective solution as thwy are probably the easiest option? Thankyou for your reply ?
,???My dad used to use that on his dandruff and it can't have been expensive then or he wouldn't have bought it.
Selenium sulphide I think.

Try Nizoral. That isn't as expensive but still has selenium sulphide in it.

Last edited:

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
The price of Selsun is ridiculous at the mo, saw 150ml for £80 on fleabay today! I managed to get some to do some itchy ponies but have used Nizoral on itchy (but not mitey) tails and it's working well ☺️

angel7

Visit site
Theres nothing in selsun that will kill mites. Its antifungal for dandruff and improves skin condition and reduces the grease.
You need something anti parasitic like deosect or ivermectin wash done often in conjunction with dectomax inj, repeated weekly for 3 weeks to eradicate mites.
Nizarol or selsun done after this will just keep the skin in good condition.

Highmileagecob

Visit site

I can't use Dectomax as my lad has an ivermectin allergy, so I can't comment. Good grief - I have never paid more than £10 a bottle for Selsun, I have purchased it from India before now. Other cobs on my yard have cleared up with leg washes, and I don't often do a full bath on my cob any more, so that may be worth trying. Good luck! It's horrible watching them stamping and scraping isn't it?

Highmileagecob

Visit site
Theres nothing in selsun that will kill mites. Its antifungal for dandruff and improves skin condition and reduces the grease.
You need something anti parasitic like deosect or ivermectin wash done often in conjunction with dectomax inj, repeated weekly for 3 weeks to eradicate mites.
Nizarol or selsun done after this will just keep the skin in good condition.

Selenium sulphide removes dead skin scales and scurf, which provide the food source for mites. True, the selenium itself does not kill the mites, but they cannot live on clean skin. Scrubbing right down to the soles of the feet catches the mites that will inevitably be washed down the leg and lodge around the heel/frog area. Sorry for any confusion.

Sossigpoker

Visit site
Farrier mite spray and shampoo will sort it if it's definitely Equine mites. Easy to use , effective and non-toxic. My cob's symptoms disappeared after 1st use, but you need to repeat it after 10 days to break the life cycle.
No need to try all sorts of chemicals or "alternative " treatments ,if it's Equine mites , this will sort it (leaves the hair/feather in lovely condition too)
https://www.farriersequinecare.com/feather-mite-treatments/39-feather-mite-shampoo-500ml.html

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Farrier mite spray and shampoo will sort it if it's definitely Equine mites. Easy to use , effective and non-toxic. My cob's symptoms disappeared after 1st use, but you need to repeat it after 10 days to break the life cycle.
No need to try all sorts of chemicals or "alternative " treatments ,if it's Equine mites , this will sort it (leaves the hair/feather in lovely condition too)
https://www.farriersequinecare.com/feather-mite-treatments/39-feather-mite-shampoo-500ml.html

I have tried everything and this has kept them at bay better than anything else-now I shampoo once a month and use their shire oil weekly and his feather is the best it’s been in 3 years. To get rid I used the treatment spray after shampooing every ten days for 3 cycles. I also wash his dock and crest because despite what they say, the little gits will migrate to other hairy places.

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
Mites can also hide in crevices of wood and brick…it’s a pain but everything everywhere needs to be washed and cleaned where the infected pony has been…headcollars..lead ropes..rugs..grooming tools ..you name it..then a treated pony in a cleaned area hopefully will stay mite free (fingers crossed).

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
straw is bad for mites, usually in winter they share a byre with straw in but they’ve not this year which I think has let me keep on top of it.

I do wonder if treating with dectomax is leading to resistance seeing as chorioptes mites are not blood feeding mites. The first dectomax course we had knocked them right back-but when they returned the second did absolutely nothing (except make my pony difficult to inject).

I have honestly tried pretty much everything-spot on, wormer, ivermec pour on-even lime wash which is ghastly stuff. All worked for a bit or to some extent but didn’t completely get rid. I am really pleased with the farriers stuff, we have no sign of foot stamping, fetlock/coronet band nibbling, scabs at all right now and I’ll continue to use the shire oil and shampoo.

Melandmary

Visit site
Thankyou for all the replies, i will have another google at the selsun shampoo and see if i can find it cheaper... Not sure why my prices are so much dearer. I will also have a look at the farriers stuff as i did buy some mallanders cream of theirs. I might hold off the dectomax injections till i have washed and sprayed their legs. The 2 hairies don't seem bothered by them but the old girl is. Thanks for the replies ?

Highmileagecob

Visit site
M of C said I do wonder if treating with dectomax is leading to resistance seeing as chorioptes mites are not blood feeding mites.

Exactly this - chorioptes are not blood feeders so why inject? Choroptic mange in dogs is a nightmare to clear, as is scabies in humans. If you can shampoo to dissolve the dead skin scabs and leave clean skin, it will make a huge difference. Once you have a break in the life cycle, it is a lot easier to keep under control. Warmer weather forecast next week.... :)

Sossigpoker

Visit site
I have tried everything and this has kept them at bay better than anything else-now I shampoo once a month and use their shire oil weekly and his feather is the best it’s been in 3 years. To get rid I used the treatment spray after shampooing every ten days for 3 cycles. I also wash his dock and crest because despite what they say, the little gits will migrate to other hairy places.
It frustrates me to see people trying all sorts, including injections that aren't even meant for Equine mites , when there is a non toxic and effective treatment easily available.
I use the mite shampoo every few months just to keep on top of things and haven't had an outbreak since I've owned him for 18 months.

Gloi

Visit site
It frustrates me to see people trying all sorts, including injections that aren't even meant for Equine mites , when there is a non toxic and effective treatment easily available.
I use the mite shampoo every few months just to keep on top of things and haven't had an outbreak since I've owned him for 18 months.
What are the active ingredients?

riversideeu

Visit site
I was prescribed Frontline spray by my vet for my cobs massive infestation. I clipped her legs and sprayed it on and rubbed it in wearing rubber gloves once a month for about 6 months and she has been mite free since.

Melandmary

Visit site
I used frontline spray last summer. I think frim reading these posts i didn't keep regular treatment going and so they have come back and spread to the others over winter. I will get the shampoo and spray and get into a routine of regular applications instead of 1 off applications as i did last year. Thanks for the advice on the dectomax injections, i won't be going that route again ?

riversideeu

Visit site
My mare broke up concrete stamping her mites were so bad and it did take a while to shift them but it was worth persevering as they never returned and her swollen legs gradually went back to normal.

suestowford

Visit site
I've had a selenium-based shampoo from the vet before now, but she said only to bathe affected areas, so I didn't have to take out a 2nd mortgage to buy enough!
That would get the mites under control and after that I'd apply pig oil & sulphur once a week, which stopped them coming back.

Sossigpoker

Visit site
I've had a selenium-based shampoo from the vet before now, but she said only to bathe affected areas, so I didn't have to take out a 2nd mortgage to buy enough!
That would get the mites under control and after that I'd apply pig oil & sulphur once a week, which stopped them coming back.
All that is unnecessary if you just get some Farrier mite spray and shampoo. Symptoms will ease after first application.
My boy's first symptom is filled legs- one wash later they return back to normal. Regular treatment (every few months) seems to stop them taking hold again.

Sossigpoker

Visit site
I used frontline spray last summer. I think frim reading these posts i didn't keep regular treatment going and so they have come back and spread to the others over winter. I will get the shampoo and spray and get into a routine of regular applications instead of 1 off applications as i did last year. Thanks for the advice on the dectomax injections, i won't be going that route again ?
Dectomax isn't made for Equine mites so it's no surprise it often doesn't work. I wish vets would get educated on mites.
My cob came to me with bloody sores and filled legs , although the sores tool some time to heal, the swelling and itchiness improved after one treatment.

Gloi

Visit site
Last edited:

meleeka

Visit site
The thing that cured my mare was Coatex shampoo, followed by Frontline Spot on. I also trimmed her feathers so it was easier to get rid of all the dead skin. She has awful folds of skin due to untreated mites when I got her.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I found frontline spray pretty effective but doing it often becomes quite expensive when they are very hairy.
As noted, the active ingredient in the farriers stuff is a natural cypermethrin-I’ve no qualms about using the right chemicals.