How to Find the Right Sharer for a Horse that Prefers Competing?

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Blinking flu. Head is pounding but wanted to reply :)

Yes, there's a reasonable school :). Hadn't thought about the jumping helper angle, good point, ta. We would happily help but can see someone might think they're imposing. She retains fitness and muscle well, but would need flat work, lunging, freeschooling. Someone might enjoy her version of hacks, so they'd be welcome to take her out. She doesn't do anything drastic per se, just very bouncy. Someone might be alright with that. D1 hacks her okay, it's onward bound, but she doesn't bob off.

You sound just the sort of person to come and see her, sadly you're about seventy miles away. I'll think about the money side of it, especially if we're to look at students. As I said earlier, she won't be sold, we have no need or particular desire for her to have a comp record; if someone were to put time and effort in then it would be for them and their enjoyment (hope that makes sense). The owner, as in D1, wouldn't be around, I have enough horses to ride and keep me occupied, and anyway I would feel odd taking her on as she's D1's (that makes sense to me).

When brain stops pounding I'll give it more thought, taking everyone's comments on board, thank you :)

Last edited:

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Sorry, just seen post. That's the sort of person. GM is very similar to how Andy was, from what I've seen on the videos. If you get angry with GM you might as well get off. Have to be firm at times for sure, but not lose it. She's so reactive to the rider. I can always tell if D1 isn't in the right frame of mind. A readjustment on D1's part and the mare relaxes and works well.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Why aren't you further north?! I would love to be able to jump a horse like that, to me she sounds straightforward but quirky, I'm sure you will find the right person no problems :)

mybutterfly

Visit site
Just to add my experience into the mix in case it's helpful! I'm an experienced competition rider but I've now stopped doing horses full time and gone back to uni, my lovely event mare is in foal so I had nothing to ride but definitely didn't want the financial commitment of another four legged just now! So I found a lovely family who have a five yo Connie pony (ill advised purchase for young daughter... Yada Yada!) I ride and compete him for them, no money changes hands they pay for everything but I don't charge them. In their case they are getting an education for their pony so it's worth it to them, might be a bit different for you. I'm getting a lot of fun of competing him and training him between times gives me good exercise and gets me out of London!

I just wanted to be encouraging, I guess, that there are experienced riders out there for what ever reason wanting something to ride especially if competing is an option (encouraged in fact in your case!) sounds like she will be great experience for an aspiring competition rider!

mybutterfly

Visit site
Thank you :) It's lovely to hear of happy partnerships :) If you don't mind me asking, how did you find each other? Pm if you'd prefer.

Yes no problem, I thought I really should know someone in my horsey contacts who can find me something to compete by word of mouth but I had such a specific location (either on a24 or a23 from Sussex to London as I spent my life going backwards and forwards!) nothing suited me so I put an ad on preloved.co.uk! I had lots of responses and was able to chose the most talented horse/most keen to compete owners!

I just had a look on preloved and several people wanting sharerers or looking for horses come up but in my area (Sussex) rather then yours, have a look in your area.

I also posted on here in the regional board and got some responses too. And their are various horsey groups on Facebook you could try... But would obv have to be local to you!

brighthair

www.wannabeadressagediva.wordpress.com
It is just finding the right match. I've never ridden above a Prelim test, I was the most nervous rider! It's taken a whole but I ride a horse that's competed at Medium, is not the easiest. Technically we should be the match from hell but she tolerates me learning and I've learnt how she ticks - next step in 2014 is us going competing at Elementary which I never dreamt would happen!!!
I love her like she's my own and now I can consistently get on and get a tune out of her. Sharing a competition horse can work, definitely