How to get a ‘bigger’ canter

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
bigger in what way and for what purpose? Galloping XC, or extended canter in dressage, or to make the strides SJing? or...?

11bluewolf

Visit site
Very good point, I should have been more specific.

I just want a bigger, more bouncy canter. I guess more energy is needed which will come with fitness (working on it). But are there any exercise to improve the impulsion and ‘bounce’ aside from this.

For sj and low level dressage.

tia :)

ihatework

Visit site
Engagement. The ‘bounce’ comes from the energy and push from the hind leg.

The usual suspects ... transitions between paces and within the pace. Shoulder - in.
Building up strength, straightness and impulsion progressively.

Needs an experienced eye on the ground if you aren’t used to training for this feel

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
One I like - if the horse is ready for it, take the canter into a much smaller circle, then leg yield it back out trying to maintain the same level of bounce.

scats

Visit site
We are working on this with Millie at the moment. Our canter out at competitions got rather erratic as she used this pace to spook and evade me, and then leg it on the forehand so I ended up having to take the canter right back and make it very small and keep her between my hand and leg. This solved the spooking and silliness issue but then we started getting comments that the canter needed more jump and to be bigger. Had a chat with my trainer about this as I was doubting whether I’d done the right thing but she was hundred percent in agreement with my thinking and said she would have done the same, so that was a relief. So, we are now working on getting a bigger canter, with more jump, but trying to keep Millie with me and not end up going backwards again with regards the spooking and daftness.
In my lesson the other day, we got her into canter on a circle and would ask for quarter of the circle to be a bigger canter- leg, tap if need be and then sit quietly. Maintaining a uniform bend and keeping her between hand and leg. Then the next 1/4, collect her a little more again.

oldie48

Visit site
Rose has a good canter but she likes to go long and flat then break into trot, I find walk to canter really helps her canter as does canter to a few strides of trot them back up to canter, focusing on keeping her up in front in self carriage and using her hind end. As I can't school ATM I have the pleasure of watching someone else do this and although I can't personally feel the difference, I can definitely see that the canter has more jump and cadence.