How to not loose the easy marks in a walk trot test?

Lydiamae

Visit site
I have a (just turned) 4yr old pony. Very mature and level headed. We are going to a local dressage comp this week to just get some experience of being out and about! Obviously, we are not yet in an outline, but I am just looking for tips on how to not loose the easy marks (or pick them up) in my intro C test! Dressage is not usually my thing but doing it for experience! Thanks

Wimbles

Visit site
There will be a lot more experienced people coming up with much better advice I'm sure, but I would say to make sure that you are very accurate, make sure your circles are the right size and shape and keep a nice rhythm.

Good luck and have fun!

Elbie

Visit site
Have a look at the test and see how it is broken down then you can see where you can gain easy marks/lose easy marks. For example, one movement may just be the 20m circle but you may get one movement which is for a 20m circle plus going down the long side after, so you'd need to be consistent for that whole movement (ideally you want to be consistent for the whole test but you know what I mean!). I've dropped marks before when I've done something really well at the start of the movement but it fizzled towards the end so that dropped me marks. On the other hand see where you can get easy marks, i.e. if one movement is just a change of rein make sure you are accurate with the markers and moving forwards in a good rhythm.

Be as accurate as possible. Hit the markers and make sure shapes are what they should be - i.e. a 20m circle - not 15m, not 25m, not a squircle

I know the theory but can never put it into practice lol

Casey76

Visit site
Well, you'll lose marks for being inverted/above the bit, so don't be surprised if you get comments about him not being in an outline.

You need to make sure you are straight and accurate. Make sure your transitions are crisp and accurate. Circles and half circles should be the correct size and round.

Auslander

Visit site
Well, you'll lose marks for being inverted/above the bit, so don't be surprised if you get comments about him not being in an outline.

Not at the level she'll be competing at. As long as the horse is going sweetly, is accurate and not resisting the contact, there are no marks deducted for not being "on the bit"

Lydiamae

Visit site
Thank you all! I think it is my 10m circle and serpentine's I will struggle mostly with on accuracy - so I will get practising those over the next few days! I am not expecting high marks, after all it is only for experience, but we all like shiny ribbons don't we? ;)

JillA

Visit site
Accuracy, accuracy and more accuracy. Your straight lines must be straight, your transitions on the spot, and your circles (or part thereof) not be egg shaped!. One way is to divide the circle into quarters, ride to each point a quarter of the way round, first straight then putting in the curve if that makes sense. And ride quietly, with the horse relaxed (a relaxed jaw is the key - ensure that is in place, if you have to do it from the ground first as part of your training)

Farma

Visit site
Accuracy and rhythm will get you good marks!

Agree with this, I judge hundreds of these tests and its the horses that go round without tension nice, steady and obedient without making accuracy errors that are normally at the top.

Major things that go wrong in intros are;
Lack of accuracy I.e odd shape circles, not riding to markers, wonky centre lines and cutting the corners.
Not showing correct bend through turns - lots of people at this level pull their horses round with the outside rein rather than turning them and using the inside leg, this shows a lack of suppleness in the horse and a lack of knowledge on the riders part.
Prepare the turn at c, lots of horse come down straight and have no preparation for the turn, if you treat it more like a half circle turn toward h or m (depending which way you are going) then the turns will be much smoother and keep your centre line score up.
Free walk - make sure your horse marches on and doesn't just daydream slowly, look to show a clear stretch down and forward not down and round!
Teach your horse to halt, its surprising how many people don't bother to show a good halt, your last mark will be low if you don't show an immobile straight halt, ideally square too!
Also collectives are doubled so your rider mark is important, try and sit up and ride positively!
If you are brave enough, have a practise run filmed and post it, you will get so much feedback from a huge variety of people, nothing beats a good instructor but cc is definitely a huge help. Good luck :)

Lydiamae

Visit site
Agree with this, I judge hundreds of these tests and its the horses that go round without tension nice, steady and obedient without making accuracy errors that are normally at the top.

Major things that go wrong in intros are;
Lack of accuracy I.e odd shape circles, not riding to markers, wonky centre lines and cutting the corners.
Not showing correct bend through turns - lots of people at this level pull their horses round with the outside rein rather than turning them and using the inside leg, this shows a lack of suppleness in the horse and a lack of knowledge on the riders part.
Prepare the turn at c, lots of horse come down straight and have no preparation for the turn, if you treat it more like a half circle turn toward h or m (depending which way you are going) then the turns will be much smoother and keep your centre line score up.
Free walk - make sure your horse marches on and doesn't just daydream slowly, look to show a clear stretch down and forward not down and round!
Teach your horse to halt, its surprising how many people don't bother to show a good halt, your last mark will be low if you don't show an immobile straight halt, ideally square too!
Also collectives are doubled so your rider mark is important, try and sit up and ride positively!
If you are brave enough, have a practise run filmed and post it, you will get so much feedback from a huge variety of people, nothing beats a good instructor but cc is definitely a huge help. Good luck :)

Thank you this is so helpful! I have my time and it is 6.06pm tomorrow evening! Thanks I will update you on how it goes!

I am expecting giraffe type movements, with a touch of elephant. Haha.

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
As long as your horse is going forwards and your test is accurate you can't go far wrong! Judging seems to be fairly forgiving at intro, they're well used to inexperienced horses. I've just started taking my youngster out and we've had pretty good scores considering he's spent a considerable amount of time on both outings spooking! :p

Good luck! :)

Sukistokes2

Visit site
I do a lot of dressage writing at intro and I see a lot of marks thrown away, they are.....

.people pulling there horses in to an "outline" because they think that its right ( you are more sensible I see) forward going and rhythmic gets more marks
.badly ridden circles, or any movement really ( i know its onlt a W&T but practice does help)
.not getting purpose in free walk
. throwing their reins at the horse rather then releasing the rein in free walk
. NOT releasing the rein in free walk (?)
. not giving clear G&R
. Wrong amounts of walk strides/No walk strides (Intro B0
. abrupt to walk./ not forward in to walk

:)