How to regain confidence in horse ownership ability?

skoll

Visit site
Hi all,

Haven’t posted for a while, but I’ve come to a point where I need to seek some advice! Hope this is all okay. There is no identifying information here.

Basically in 2022 I sold my horse and temporarily give up horses/horse riding. I was moving to a new area with my partner and starting a full time (unpaid) postgraduate position, and there were a few reasons for my decision.

My income was going to reduce substantially for a bit, which was causing a lot of stress as I didn’t want my horse to lack anything. I would also by didn’t know anybody in the new place and couldn’t find a suitable stable in time, even if I wasn’t worried about cost and being able to afford a properly good vet, farrier, emergency fund and other necessities.

But there was also an emotional consideration - I was becoming extremely burnt out and doubting myself as a horse owner and rider. In 2021 I moved from my long time drama free livery yard to a new place with a friend. I was promised peace and quiet, off-road hacking (uncommon here since we have no bridleways) a x-country course, a lovely neat hot water wash bay, ect.

It seemed wonderful and we had lots of fun riding round the fields but I quickly found myself a bit of an odd one out - all the other ladies there had been friends for years and maybe didn’t really appreciate younger people joining them. One of the ladies in particular kept a close eye on me and soon started accusing my horse of box-walking and attacking people when I wasn’t there. When I was there he was wonderful as always. This would be very out of character for him. Nobody else shared these complaints and nobody else I asked had witnessed any of this behaviour including the people in the stables directly beside us.

Soon it progressed. Comments were made about stains on my boy’s white areas (he was piebald, I did wash him frequently but he would invariably roll in some sort of dust or wet.) Comments were also made about how back in the day nobody respectable would ride a coloured horse and they shouldn’t be allowed at shows.

When I arrived I shaped my banks differently from theirs. I learnt how to do it their way, asked for guidance and advice, and really really tried to make it as neat as possible, I was all but getting out a spirit level. My horse would immediately come in and roll and kick and make it uneven and dirty overnight. He was a very wet boy. By early morning it looked awful. There would then be constant remarks about how it wasn’t staying clean enough.

The horses were fed morning and evening, all horses were fed on this schedule (I’m very very aware this is really not ideal but it is extremely typical for yards around here and I didn’t feel I could argue) by the yard owner. I would leave the biggest pile of hay I could to be given in the morning along with a substantial high fibre, low sugar feed. Then in the evening I would add hay until the pile was almost the height of the 15hh horse, to last the night (plus more feed). I was so worried about ulcers. He often wouldn’t finish it and would drag it around. But one day one of the ladies approached me and started shouting at me. She said she had checked in on my horse several hours after his feed and he was stood not eating, he had dragged his hay through his bed and said it looked dirty and I was going to give him ulcers. She really shouted at me. I just apologised and left crying.

Shavings and feed started going missing from my storage area. The ladies talked me into letting a local showjumper school my horse and I was so eager to do the right thing and impress them that I agreed. I came down to find he’d been ridden in a totally different bit which bruised his mouth, his rug had been changed to one which didn’t fit and caused him to be badly rubbed and his gel poll guard (he had a sensitive poll and would shake his head without it, but never with it) was off his bridle. When I protested I was told I didn’t know anything and a lot of snarky remarks about how it was a shame I’d come down as my horse needed a good rider ect. and that’s when I finally decided to sell and give up horses, mainly due to the reasons above but this all played a role, I was crying the whole time we loaded him to go to his new owner. (He’s in a wonderful home now.)

My issue is after all this I severely doubt my own ability to keep horses. I’m scared that I truly don’t make up the stables right, or feed right, or maybe I don’t understand tack and won’t make the right choices if I get another horse. I feel if I was a better person the stable wouldn’t have gotten wet at all and he wouldn’t have had any stains or dragged his hay around. I always spent hours upon hours doing research and listening to advice but I feel I’m somehow lacking or don’t fit into the country set and never will. My partner frequently talks about me getting back into riding once my studies are finished, but I’m privately very anxious about it, although I badly want to.

Has anyone else ever experienced anything like this? How did you overcome it? I plan to take lessons before riding after such a long break, but it’s the stable management I really doubt myself on. Would it be kinder to horses if I leave them alone and maybe got a bike instead?

nutjob

Visit site
You will be fully capable to take care of another horse, no need to doubt yourself. It might help you to develop a thicker skin to enable you to avoid letting the sort of nonsense and bullying that you have experienced get to you. I appreciate this is easier said than done.

All the things you have listed don't affect your horses' welfare at all, they are things that other women who should mind their own business and get on with their own life and their own horses have used to belittle you. I've had 3 coloured horses, they love rolling in mud and lying in poo and so what if they mess up their bed, some horses do this, stables get wet because horses pee in them, not because you're a bad person. My coloured horse hasn't been washed for more than a year but he's still alive, got a few stains on him though :p. I have a horse whose a wobbler, he drags his hind feet when he moves in his stable, the state of his bed is shocking in the morning. I just get on and muck him out, he's fine.

It's a good idea to get some lessons in if you've been out of riding for a while, but once you feel confident back on a horse, you just need a different yard and a little more confidence in yourself to ignore other peoples "suggestions".

Last edited:

poiuytrewq

Visit site
What absolute bit***s How dare they?
That’s class a bullying in the adult world, sorry you have had to put up with that.

I have a coloured, I try to keep his white bits white, it’s an impossible task a lot of the time.
There is no right or wrong way of laying your bed. Dirty horses beds are dirty in the morning.
They sound like they had way too much time on their hands and you became the scape goat.
Maybe they were jealous because you were younger 🤷‍♀️
Find a nice yard by word of mouth if possible, you could try local fb pages anonymously for recommendations.
You’ll be absolutely fine in the right environment :)

Fjord

Visit site
Please don't believe the things they said to you! A few grubby marks on a horse is absolutely no welfare issue at all (my grey is currently a sort of beige colour) and unless your horse is super tidy, their stable will always look a mess in the morning. And I always think it's far better to have the bedding on the floor where they can lay on it than up the banks.

Honestly, you need nicer people around you, those toxic witches would put anyone off. I hope you can find joy in being around horses, and nice horse owners, again soon.

94lunagem

Visit site
It sounds like you got unlucky with a particularly b*tchy set of liveries, who have unfairly (but understandably) knocked your confidence.

Who cares if the grey bits are a bit stained, or if banks are done differently (I do like spirit level banks, but couldn’t give a stuff if anyone else does!). As long as the horse is fed, watered and has access to turnout and exercise it’ll be fine.

It’s many years since I’ve been on livery and a bit of yard politics can be normal, but this bunch sound extreme. Look at it as more of a reflection on them than you.

Definitely get some lessons to get back into it, and maybe look for a share to start with? Then you can take your lead on the care/management side from the owner.

I’m sure if you surround yourself with the right people in the right environment you’ll find the joy again.

Definitely horses over bikes!

94lunagem

Visit site
And without this meaning to sound at all flippant or unkind, a thicker skin can sometimes be needed 😊 Which I know is sometimes easier said than done.

Archangel

Visit site
When you get a new horse, for goodness sake, don't take it to that yard.

It is very hard, when you are in the thick of it, to see things for what they are.
In the case of your yard, the old trouts picking holes in nothing were the complete problem.
Not you.
They picked on you because you are young and had a nice horse.

Get a horse and a bike :cool:

SilverLinings

Visit site
OP I can't see anything in your post that indicates you aren't capable to own a horse, but lots of things that make it clear the women on that yard are just a nasty bunch of bullies. When you buy another horse I would strongly suggest that you don't go back to that yard.

motherof2beasts!

Visit site
What’s nasty witches , do not doubt yourself , doubt their ability to be decent human beings. How old are you ? I used to get really upset by yard politics and feeling judged but thankfully every year older I get I give less of a shit and will almost goad these kind of idiots for fun. I think there will always be know it alls but this is next level bullying. What I found helpful is going in with a confidence and saying “I didn’t ask for advice , I have an instructor/vet/physio for that” then walking off and then showing I didn’t give a shit by doing whatever they frowned upon more….. one woman didn’t like me using a baby voice to speak to my horse , so I just used it continually.

I think often a lot of yards have women who don’t work, and have too much time on their hands so end up judging others , it’s boredom and unhappiness in their own life.

Vermeer

Visit site
Do not let the bitterness of others destroy what you find joy in. Sadly, there are people in the world who survive their own misery by venting their spleen on others. They are to be pitied. Hold your head up high, if you enjoy owning horses then go for it! I can't imagine even having the time to critique someone's banks, they would have a field day if they saw mine 🤣 if your horse if happy and healthy, you are doing it right. And there are many different ways of doing it right!

Hope everyone's comments gives you the encouragement to do what is right for you. Finding the right yard will make an amazing difference. Definitely have some lessons in the meantime to rekindle your enjoyment! Life is too short to let other people dictate what you choose to do with it.

Good luck!

irishdraft

Visit site
Wow sounds a terrible place, I know it can be difficult but don't let yourself be ground down by people they don't know any more than you do. Get your horse and tell them or anyone else to jog on & mind their own business.

Flame_

Visit site
You don't have a horse problem, you have a dickhead problem. You were on a yard with dickheads and are unaccustomed to managing such circumstances. I made a similar move a few years ago and I totally understand your problem. You are used to listening to the people around you, taking on board their opinions and suggestions because you could take for granted that they were speaking and acting in, at least, what they thought were your best interests. This is not the case with dickheads. They are just stupid, envious and or mean. They are not your friends. Their "advice" is not really meant to help you but to make you feel ashamed and lose your confidence. You either need to move away from the dickheads or toughen up and figure out how to stay self-assured about getting on with everything in spite of their attempts to knock you down.

I thought this was going to be about getting your confidence back after having lost a horse in such a way that different management might have meant it might not have happened, that's really hard, because you know you have grounds for some guilt, but your problem isn't like that at all, you have been programmed with undeserved shame and guilt by dickheads. Once you get your head around that you'll realise you have no reason at all to doubt your capability (and hopefully be blooming cross at the people who've done this to you).

Phoenix/Max

Visit site
I fully understand this and what you have been through, I myself experienced something very similar to what was said to you. I too have been accused of starving my horse, by someone whose horse was obese and battled to get up from the ground. I also struggled with the self doubt.

Until a very wise and knowledgeable person, who did not get involved with yard politics, once said to me, after a very trying and expensive evening of suspected colic, not colic. "Trust yourself, you know your horse and you know what is best for him/her, nobody will ever know him/her as well as you.

Sometimes people say nasty things to others, because they are unable to keep the green eyed monster at bay (Jealousy).

Trust yourself and your abilities, you can do it.

skoll

Visit site
Thank you everyone for your comments! It sounds silly but reading them has actually made me feel better and has helped reassure me.

I do think if I had a nicer yard and a decent instructor I trusted then I could be happy with horses. Maybe local facebook groups would be a good way to investigate. I really felt like everything I knew about horses was suddenly wrong! I’ll be more careful about yards in the future - I agree a thicker skin needs to develop but even then I couldn’t do all that again.

When you get a new horse, for goodness sake, don't take it to that yard.

It is very hard, when you are in the thick of it, to see things for what they are.
In the case of your yard, the old trouts picking holes in nothing were the complete problem.
Not you.
They picked on you because you are young and had a nice horse.

Get a horse and a bike :cool:
A horse and a bike sounds like a plan!

What’s nasty witches , do not doubt yourself , doubt their ability to be decent human beings. How old are you ? I used to get really upset by yard politics and feeling judged but thankfully every year older I get I give less of a shit and will almost goad these kind of idiots for fun. I think there will always be know it alls but this is next level bullying. What I found helpful is going in with a confidence and saying “I didn’t ask for advice , I have an instructor/vet/physio for that” then walking off and then showing I didn’t give a shit by doing whatever they frowned upon more….. one woman didn’t like me using a baby voice to speak to my horse , so I just used it continually.

I think often a lot of yards have women who don’t work, and have too much time on their hands so end up judging others , it’s boredom and unhappiness in their own life.
I’m in my twenties, there was an age gap between myself and the other liveries which I think contributed since I felt much less experienced and was inclined to believe them and listen to them. I do think I need to be a bit more confident, at my old yard it wasn’t an issue but for some reason I totally crumbled here and really let them get to me.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Honestly when I got my first horse I had no clue, it sounds like you know far more than I did.
I got incredibly lucky, I was at a DIY but with the best yard owners and fellow liveries.
26 horses and all owned separately bar a few husband and wife’s or mother daughters and it was great, really supportive and just the best.
The right yard makes such a huge difference.

Caol Ila

Visit site
You sound like a great horse owner.

Yards like that suck. You have to develop both the ability to tell people to get tae f&9ck, and if having a friendly yard social life is important to you (and it is to me... I get it), know when to start yard hunting.

At wee yards, it's hard. A lot of the people on my yard think I'm out of my tree, but it's a big yard, so I have a core group of friends. When I've been at smaller yards, it's been more demoralizing because *everyone* thinks I'm off my nut.

skoll

Visit site
You sound like a great horse owner.

Yards like that suck. You have to develop both the ability to tell people to get tae f&9ck, and if having a friendly yard social life is important to you (and it is to me... I get it), know when to start yard hunting.

At wee yards, it's hard. A lot of the people on my yard think I'm out of my tree, but it's a big yard, so I have a core group of friends. When I've been at smaller yards, it's been more demoralizing because *everyone* thinks I'm off my nut.
Yes I think I’d be nervous going to a really small yard again. At least at a bigger one you can have your own circle, but at smaller ones if you aren’t accepted there isn’t really anyone else on your side. Thinking back on it I only got a spot on the yard because the woman before me left quite upset…they said it was her fault but I do wonder now. Oh well

Caol Ila

Visit site
I hear you. One of my friends is moving to a wee yard, which sounds like a dream on paper, but my experience of wee yards has rarely been good because I'm a weirdo and find it hard to be accepted amongst UK horse people.

Trouper

Visit site
Just consign that experience to the dustbin where it belongs!!

I would certainly go for some riding sessions at a good school and feed yourself back in gradually. Some schools also do stable management sessions which might be a good refresher and then I would just look around at the people who seem to manage their horses well and I would pick their brains. We all do things differently - and need to depending on the horse we have - but you can gradually build up a good knowledge of best practice to apply to your own situation.