How would non-novice cope with this everyday situation?

sidesaddlegirl

www.sidesaddlegirl.co.uk
I usually hack alone on my horse but went out with YO and helper, riding and leading a horse each to exercise quickly. Rainy day and my horse was at the back, absolutely delighted to have company and keen to keep up.

They were getting round fast and were trotting downhill on roads etc and my boy was slipping so I slowed him down. Obviously he didn't like getting left behind and was trying to canter to catch up on the road. And this made the situation worse because I stopped him cantering and then the gap was bigger, and this made him want to canter more.

In the end I got him walking and then called for them to slow down. They did and I caught up. But I felt very feeble!

Don't feel feeble! My mare does the same thing, tries to canter to keep up and then tries to race once she has caught up (darn TB's) and I've been riding 25+ years!!! It's different if you are on grass but dangerous on the tarmac so it all comes down to safety. I always shout for people to slow down if I feel my mare starting to go wappy and I feel no shame, even when one of my friends tried to tell me that I should spend less time schooling dressage and more time hacking to "train" my horse after the last episode a few weeks back. :D

Baggybreeches

www.photobucket.com
Depends who's doing it. Some horses shouldn't be on the roads in any situation, but ponying a horse properly isn't so hard. I usually find they work well in a pair and have more focus in staying in step with each other.

^^^this^^^
also when riding and leading the lead horse goes on the nearside so wouldn't swing it's backside anywhere.

Enfys

Visit site
These horses were very well controlled, In bridles and are extremely calm and used to being exercised in this way. And the roads round us are very quiet and full of nice drivers (lucky us!).

^ As one would expect from a lady who has probably forgotten more than many of us know :)

No need to feel feeble or anything bad, I suspect that they just assumed you were OK and carried on doing as they normally do, they probably felt a bit guilty actually at being a teeny bit thoughtless.

burtie

Visit site
Without trying to hijack the thread, ride and lead on the road (all be it a quiet one) was part of my BHS exam, can't remember which stage though now as it was over 20 years ago!

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Echo Enfys, also they probably thought you were fine with what was happening if you didn't say that you weren't :)
Have to say too that I would rather ride and lead an unridden lead horse than one with a beginner on it, much easer and safer :)

Last edited:

dappyness

Visit site
OP - I personally think it was extremly rude for the others to allow the gap between you and them to get so big that your horse feels the need to canter up to them. From day 1 of riding I was always taught never to get too far in front as it can stress some horses out. Everyone in a group should keep an eye out for others to make sure they are ok.

darkhorse123

Visit site
my best fellow hackers always always ask before they change pace - just to make sure everyone is ready and ok with it.
I know i do if im leading - i will always shout "ok to trot" before i do and wait for the oks - basic manners

rockysmum

Visit site
OP - I personally think it was extremly rude for the others to allow the gap between you and them to get so big that your horse feels the need to canter up to them. From day 1 of riding I was always taught never to get too far in front as it can stress some horses out. Everyone in a group should keep an eye out for others to make sure they are ok.

I dont think thats very fair. My boy was always lead horse and I would try to watch what was going on behind. Sometimes you miss it, either because you are concentrating on what your horse might spook at, traffic or in my case trying to slow him down. I always relied on the person behind shouting loudly if they were in trouble.

OP just let them know straight away next time, I would have asked them to walk immediately I felt unsafe.

Goldenstar

Visit site
OP don't feel feeble they ought to have looked back I ride out with my grooms all the time and we all keep an eye on each other and it's kind of automatic to do it .

BillyBob-Sleigh

Visit site
I'd have called for them to slow down sooner. My lad is one of the biggest on the yard but out on hacks even some of the ponies walk quicker than him! He's not lazy, it's just the way he is so I often have to ask them to wait for us if it's not safe to trot on to catch them up

jumpthemoon

Visit site
I would have done the same, I ride out with an endurance rider and quite often we're going downhill or over rough ground, which her horses are fine with. My warmblood can't cope with some of the terrain so I often shout for her to walk or hold on, nothing to feel embarrassed about imo. You're just looking out for your horse ateotd.

bluewhippet

Visit site
I would have done the same, I ride out with an endurance rider and quite often we're going downhill or over rough ground, which her horses are fine with. My warmblood can't cope with some of the terrain so I often shout for her to walk or hold on, nothing to feel embarrassed about imo. You're just looking out for your horse ateotd.

I think YO is someone who would make me feel feeble whatever situation: she is just very hearty and well bred and her children are all the same: good all rounders, complete opposite of me!

Trinity Fox

Visit site
I have to say we lead and ride all the time with no problems, and I am also shocked people are saying they cant trot downhill :eek:, I am assuming they are joking.

While I would not like to pound horses downhill on a slippy tarmac we do all the border common ridings that involves alot of roadwork and all the horses cope fine, just as they do when hunting and doing fast roadwork.

We ride our horses on all terrains as we are in a hilly part of the country and downhill at all speeds sometimes faster than we want to go by the horses choice, and I have to say lameness in our horses because of this is not something we have had a problem with.

I would however always take in to consideration anyone who was hacking out with me and try not to leave them behind, my dad who has pointers is a nightmare sets off at breakneck speed never looks back even if you are on a just broken horse he always assures me this makes you a better a rider and your horse able to cope with whatever comes along.

If you were not comfortable with the speed of the other riders then you were right to shout at them to ask them to slow down, there is nothing wrong with this and I am sure the other riders if they were sensible would have understood why you took this action and been happy with it.

Lolo

Visit site
However properly it is done I just feel that without a rider on then you are still not in full control of the horse you are leading. They can swing their backsides all over the road, charge off, back up, all either dislodging the rider or causing them to let go. I am not saying it is crime of the century, just that it always makes me feel a tad edgy when I see people do it. I just think one horse to control on a road is enough. :)

I've been riding and leading since I was 11 (sister was 9 when she started) and have honestly never run into problems, even when we've gone down busy roads.

If I were you OP, I'd have given a quick shout as soon as I felt him slipping, but I'm a terrible wimp and get very nervous about everything!

Business

Visit site
I would have yelled sooner and wouldn't trot downhill on the road anyway.

A long time ago now I used to work for Ann Marie Taylor and was told by Ann never to trot down hill on the road because it's slippy so dangerous, increases concussion, also bad for / puts lots of strain on the tendons. I was told to trot everywhere that was flat or up hill but walk down all the hills. Everything doing road work had to wear brushing boots and knee boots. I have always stuck to all of that since. I figured she knew what she was doing.

Moomin1

Visit site

A long time ago now I used to work for Ann Marie Taylor and was told by Ann never to trot down hill on the road because it's slippy so dangerous, increases concussion, also bad for / puts lots of strain on the tendons. I was told to trot everywhere that was flat or up hill but walk down all the hills. Everything doing road work had to wear brushing boots and knee boots. I have always stuck to all of that since. I figured she knew what she was doing.

I hope you don't live anywhere near plains or you will do an awful lot of trotting!!! Lol!

Seriously though, I learnt from err, well a basic riding school instructress when I was 9 not to trot downhill with shoes. I think it's common sense really - and certainly a good idea to wear protective boots!
:)

Business

Visit site
I hope you don't live anywhere near plains or you will do an awful lot of trotting!!! Lol!

Seriously though, I learnt from err, well a basic riding school instructress when I was 9 not to trot downhill with shoes. I think it's common sense really - and certainly a good idea to wear protective boots!
:)

Her horses were doing 3 day international events- they could trot forever - I had thighs like iron at the time. (Sadly more like lard now!) Obviously the trotting is kept within the horses fitness level.

Yes, I was told as a child not to trot downhill because it was slippy. One horse broke a leg hunting because the hunt were trotting down hill on the road. The horse slipped on that shiny black tar and that was that. :(

Yes, to me boots are essential but hardly anyone you see out has boots on their horse and I am always getting the piss ripped for wearing knee boots.

Used to do a fellow livery's horse on full livery when doing B.Sc. to make money to finance my horse. Her horse was retired as a 4yo because it fell on it's knees on the road and was never sound again. Another really good reason to use knee boots.

Enfys

Visit site

At MKE? She, and Nigel, used to come to our yard to instruct.

Lexie81

Visit site
I wouldn't trot downhill! Think you did the right thing to protect yourself and your horse I would maybe haves shouted a little earlier to save your horse getting upset and trying to canter...

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
I wouldn't trot downhill! Think you did the right thing to protect yourself and your horse I would maybe haves shouted a little earlier to save your horse getting upset and trying to canter...

^^This. (Although I can't class myself as a non-novice). I don't trot downhill on roads at all. Just don't feel safe doing it.

Paris1

Visit site
Personally trotting downhill on roads is a complete no no. It's slippery and dangerous. You were doing the sensible thing.
I have hacked with people who don't mind going faster on roads, and my slow pony ended up cantering to keep jl or bucking when left behind. I don't hack with them anymore. Pick your hacking partners to suit you Nd make sure they are in the same page before you leave the yard.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Trotting downhill on tarmac is dangerous, but you try telling that to my horse when he's got the wind up his tail and is on the way home :mad: :rolleyes:

I do ride and lead, and always used to in headcollars as the horses were controlled and responsive in this. I did a couple of years ago try to lead out our old TB for a bit of exercise in the same way - all I can say is the older they are the worse they are - I got into a complete mess, and had to turn around :rolleyes: I may attempt it again, but only in a bridle, and only after I've established some ground rules with him first, although - can you teach an old horse new tricks?!

Lucyad

Visit site
I have always understood it to be incorrect to trot a shod horse downhil on tarmac.

It is also courteous to check that everyong is happy with proposed change of pace in advance!