How would you handle this?

Equine_Dream

Visit site
A friend and I went for a hack on Sunday. To get to the bridle path we need to go on a fairly busy road. It's not exactly a country lane, but is narrower than a normal road, two cars can pass each other but need to slow right down to do so if that makes sense? Like many country roads, its a 60mph speed limit. It also has a few dodgy bends. Despite the fact that there are several yards in the area, and the road is regularly used by horse riders there are no warning signs for drivers.
Anyway we were coming up a hill that also has a slight bend at the top. There was a car behind us who went to overtake but just as they went to pass a police car coming the opposite way came flying around the bend at the top. He did attempt to slow but only slightly. The car that was overtaking had to tuck back into the gap between myself and my friend in front (only by luck that there was a gap inbetween us). The police car just carried on past. He didn't have his lights or sirens on at the time.
Obviously this could have turned into a rather nasty situation. I'm a bit unsure how to proceed. When we got back and told others what happened, they suggested we should contact the local police and make a complaint. I do agree this situation could have been very serious, but to be fair, the car overtaking probably should have waited until they could clearly see nothing was coming in the opposite direction. Also perhaps the officer wasn't from the area and was unaware that the road is commonly used by horse riders. He was travelling within the speed limit I think?
Am I being too reasonable? I was thinking of contacting them not to complain but to let them know what happened and ask if they can make sure officers are aware that there may be riders in the area along that road?
I've also contacted our local council several times about getting some bloody signs put up!!!

Caol Ila

Visit site
The police car should have pulled up the other car for his dodgy overtake. The responsibility lies with overtaking vehicles -- making sure that they have a clear line of site. Oncoming vehicles shouldn't be responsible for looking out for vehicles in their lane, although you sort of do when on roads like the A82 in the Highlands, where everyone drives like a fanny.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I do agree this situation could have been very serious, but to be fair, the car overtaking probably should have waited until they could clearly see nothing was coming in the opposite direction.
It‘s the fault of the driver who tried to overtake too close to the bend, not of the oncoming police car.

But yes, do report it anyway. I have reported a near miss before.

Equine_Dream

Visit site
The police car should have pulled up the other car for his dodgy overtake. The responsibility lies with overtaking vehicles -- making sure that they have a clear line of site. Oncoming vehicles shouldn't be responsible for looking out for vehicles in their lane, although you sort of do when on roads like the A82 in the Highlands, where everyone drives like a fanny.

Agreed...but:

The police vehicle also came flying around a blind bend. I do realise the car overtaking should have definitely waited until they could see it was clear, but is there also a duty to "brake before the bend"? I definitely agree the car shouldn't have overtaken us when they did but could the police offer also have shown more caution?

Caol Ila

Visit site
Hard to say. If you're on a horse or on foot, a car doing 40mph will look like it's flying, but it might have been moving at a completely reasonable speed at which to take the corner.

I agree that more signs warning drivers to look out for horses are in order.

Arzada

Visit site
Agreed...but:

The police vehicle also came flying around a blind bend. I do realise the car overtaking should have definitely waited until they could see it was clear, but is there also a duty to "brake before the bend"? I definitely agree the car shouldn't have overtaken us when they did but could the police offer also have shown more caution?
Perhaps the police officer was going faster before the bend and indeed did brake before it. You don't say what speed the police car was going but the fact that it remained on the correct side of the road suggests that it was under control.

eggs

Visit site
The fault lies with the driver that was trying to overtake. I know that in this situation it helped you out but I was always taught that you should not leave a gap between horses out hacking together that is big enough for a vehicle to fit into.

Equine_Dream

Visit site
Its hard to say but it looked very fast, he did slow when he came around the bend and saw us, but not much and carried on flying past at a speed that was definitely too fast to be passing horses.
Idiot car driver overtaking aside, the police car was still passing us at a far faster speed than the recommended speed to pass a horse and rider.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
The driver shouldn't have been trying to overtake but if the police car was driving around a bend so fast that he was unable to stop when faced with an obstruction then he was going too fast. What if there had been a stationary obstruction in his lane? Would he have been able to stop in time? You should never assume the road you are about to drive onto but can't actually see is clear.

Equine_Dream

Visit site
The fault lies with the driver that was trying to overtake. I know that in this situation it helped you out but I was always taught that you should not leave a gap between horses out hacking together that is big enough for a vehicle to fit into.

To be fair I usually don't but my horse stopped to look at a bit of rubbish sticking out of the hedge. My friend hadn't noticed and this happened before I could trot on to catch up. Although its lucky there was a gap there would have definitely been a crash, either into the police car or heaven forbid us

Arzada

Visit site
Its hard to say but it looked very fast, he did slow when he came around the bend and saw us, but not much and carried on flying past at a speed that was definitely too fast to be passing horses.

I have never been able to tell the gender of the driver of an oncoming vehicle when I'm riding or cycling, probably because if I look that way then sure enough my horse or bike will go that way too. I'm pretty surprised that you know it's a man driving a car that is flying past you having just appeared around a blind bend.

Equine_Dream

Visit site
To be honest I don't know for sure it was a he ?‍♀️ I'm just assuming, so I apologise. I'll refer to them as just police officer from now on.
Also we were not on the bend itself but a few feet further down the hill. The police car came around the bend, saw us/the other car, did appear to slow slightly from the speed he came around the bend, but still carried on past imo far too quickly to pass horses.

Last edited:

popletaa

Visit site
They're both at fault - the car shouldn't have been overtaking before a bend in the road and it sounds like the police car was going too fast. I'd report it to the police, they might be able to track which officer was driving the police car, and assuming police cars all have dash cams they might be able to reprimand the overtaking car too.

Equine_Dream

Visit site
I would email the local police and make them aware, expressing your concern about the driving of both drivers and notify the BHS

This sounds sensible. I will do, and I'll also chase the council for a response on the signs. I understand that during lockdown they've had a lot to manage, but those signs would be so helpful!

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
If you have a lot of problems on that road you may be able to get the mounted police to stage an awareness Day there with their horses.

scats

Visit site
The car should not have overtaken so close to a bend where they couldn’t see what might come around it. But equally, it doesn’t sound like that police car could stop in time if they’d encountered something around that bend.
I would definitely contact the local police station though.

Pedantic

Visit site
Highway code applies to all, police ambo fire engine etc, maybe a friendly call to the local police to say about the road used is regular by riders.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Yet again, a speed limit is not a target!!

Both drivers were at fault for basic reasons of not driving safely given the road layout, visibility and potential for other traffic.

However I have to say that as riders, it's also our responsibility to be ultra aware of what we are doing (road positioning, looking all round but particularly behind) and being aware of each other - so the rider in front should have seen you had dropped behind, but equally you could have called out to tell her. There should never be a gap between you unless you are in a large group of horses, when you can cluster and leave a huge gap.

I know I sound like I'm lecturing, sorry, too many years of doing R&RS courses! But it does sound like this was an extremely close call and its definitely worth raising awareness locally.

Our police run Facebook awareness things about vulnerable road users. Do you have any local Facebook groups where you could maybe share some of these things, or the BHS campaign stuff?

Equine_Dream

Visit site
With respect Rowreach it all happened in a split second and I was concentrating on keeping my boy calm and not potentially spooking into the road when I knew there was a car behind. Yes I should have called out, but hindsight is a wonderful thing and as I've stated previously I do not usually leave gaps inbetween other riders, but sometimes things happen. I'm only human and make mistakes.

I'm going to email my local police station today, and have also logged the incident with the BHS

Green Bean

Visit site
OP, this doesn't help the main part of your post, nut refers to the beginning:
Approach your local Parish Council about the lack of signs. I had to do this for the road I used to ride on (don't anymore as horse is not comfortable with vehicles bigger than a 3.5t horsebox). I was rebuffed at first but carried on as the county transport entity said the responsibility sits with the parish council (which I still find ridiculous). I believe a study has been done and signs are being ordered once all the hoops are jumped through.

Ruftysdad

Visit site
A similar thing happened to me when a police car came towards us at great speed and ignored me when I put my arm up to ask him to slow down. We were on a narrow road with no escape.
I rang the local nick and they sent him on a course to improve his driving skills. Apparently he was going to the station for his lunch!

Scotsbadboy

Visit site
I havent read any responses but i would firstly say report this to BHS as a near miss

I would not do anything about this. The police car was likely on a call and knowing the area was horsey didnt have his blues and twos on. Regardless it doesnt sound like he has done anything wrong.

There will always be crap road users, just like there are plenty of horse riders that shouldnt be on the road, the same applies to car drivers. Ensure oyur horse is well trained and safe on the road. You cannot expect everyone to plan around you (im NOT saying you are, just reiterating its better to have a bombproof horse than relying on others to slow down etc.)