How would you judge a foreign breeds class?

Visit site
If I were to judge a Foreign breeds class then I would swot up a little on the most common ones that would likely be in front of me. Basic conformation and movement count for a lot.

I do not think that FB classes should include Beligan/German/French warmbloods etc. A warmblood is a warm blood. GrayMo isn't allowed in FB classes as he is a Throughbred - despite the fact that he is 100% American bred, was born there and ran there til he was 4yo. Jeff is French, French breeding all the way through and 8 generations back he has a Selle Francais. He was bred, born and raced in France too before he came over here. But neither are foreign breeds.

Orangehorse

Visit site
If I were to judge a Foreign breeds class then I would swot up a little on the most common ones that would likely be in front of me. Basic conformation and movement count for a lot.

I do not think that FB classes should include Beligan/German/French warmbloods etc. A warmblood is a warm blood. GrayMo isn't allowed in FB classes as he is a Throughbred - despite the fact that he is 100% American bred, was born there and ran there til he was 4yo. Jeff is French, French breeding all the way through and 8 generations back he has a Selle Francais. He was bred, born and raced in France too before he came over here. But neither are foreign breeds.

I agree with that.

abbijay

Visit site
I have done loads of foreign breed classes and most of the time I am in with warmbloods had the odd haffy friesian and Spanish, I also did a rare breeds class once and there was a woman riding a Clydesdale and the ring was quite small and he literally thundered round looking out of control my little horse was quite spooked by it I don't think we have ever been in a ring with such a huge horse.
At my very first show with my clydesdale we were in a small ring and one of the other competitors withdrew from the class because "when THAT canters it's going to spook my show horse!" I was horrified. I was very nearly put off showing by 1 comment.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
My horse is not great passing or being ridden close to other horses anyway he will stay back and away from horses, bit extreme to want to leave the ring it's good experience really it's just he did look like he was motoring round and looked quite strong lol! Gorgeous horse though:D

Leandy

Visit site
It should be (b). If it is a local show (and given that if it is I expect most will be unrecognisable as anything in particular anyway) I'd also put a significant emphasis on manners and turnout.