Human food safe for horses

Shay

Visit site
Very little is actually poisonous - what is sensible however might be another matter. My daughter's first pony adores sausage rolls and bacon sandwiches - but he is supposed to be vegetarian. One SJ'er we had had a real thing for tea or coffee. Most love gingernut biscuits. Bread too is a big winner. And don't forget polos are technically for humans!

SpringArising

Visit site
We had one who liked chicken sandwiches. And I had a Sec B who loved biscuits and hot chocolate. Then another who just ate and drank literally anything right from the cup or bottle! As soon as he saw me open something he would open his mouth like an elephant and get me to pour it in!

SuperH

Visit site
Mine will eat most things, you have to be careful what you leave in reach. They both go mad for buttered toast, that must be one of their favourites. My black mare I were riding through road works, she tootled past all the jack hammering and as we went past their van the window was open with an open sandwich box... She helped herself to a sandwich much to the amusement of all the workers. They then brought her snacks every day they were working there, she loved it.

When I was a teen I was doing a ridden showing class. Trotting around the ring we went past the side the spectators were. My pony, without breaking from a trot, casually tucks her head to the side and relieved a man of his burger! He was leaning on the rails just within her reach. I carried on trotting but had to go and apologise after the class finished. Luckily he thought it was hilarious.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
My late superstar cob came out of the dressage arena at the RC area qualifiers with a winning score, and feeling very pleased with himself. He rewarded himself by relieving a complete stranger of his Mars bar!

Mortified barely covers it (me, not the cob, he was unrepentant!). I paid up to replace the snaffled confectionary.

Snowfilly

Visit site
The Shetland mare used to love chips, was also partial to sweets and biscuits. Gymkhanas were her dream come true, and she'd spend most of her day scrounging from other kids.

The yellow pony was fond of choclate chip cookies, and could only be reliably wormed if you had a packet of Jaffa cakes as bribery. He also liked coke and could drink from a can very well.

Present boy throughly enjoys apple turnovers, and I buy him one at the food wagon that covers most of our local shows.

My mum had a gelding who drunk tomato soup and they'd share a flask on cold days!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I would like to point out that I'm not in the habit of sharing my cab sauv, or of doing the stable chores with a glass of it in my hand :D

But we had a big party on the yard once and one horse was gagging to get at people's glasses, and I've tested a few others and they like it too!

spookypony

Visit site
Prawn crackers, cheeseburger, and donuts. I hasten to add that the cheeseburger was theft, and the prawn crackers and donut were offered by others, without my permission! :eek: Another pony I knew liked cheese.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Jake once eat every single menthol filter from a whole packet of cigarettes I had left on the side.. the rest of the cigarettes was not so much to his taste.

He also likes all crisps, all biscuits, sandwiches (but not peanut butter ones), tea but not coffee, Guiness, pasta, bubble&squeak and plenty more.. If I have a food I will often give him a bite to see if he likes it; a bite won't hurt and it hasn't given him bad manners so far.

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
I have a horse that loves a bit of cheese, only cathedral city mature cheese though. The same horse will only eat cheese and onion crisps, no other flavour. My other horse loves any kind of crisps. I had a youngster that would steal my mum's coffee if left unattended. My hunter loves port, when the tray comes round with the stirrup cup, I struggle to pull him away once he smells it! :eek: I had a young pony that would eat absolutely anything, she was in the garden one day, poked her nose through the kitchen window and bit a lemon! She was a bit more cautious after that.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
The older current Appy is very partial to gin! If we go on an RC ride we often call at local pubs, I drink gin as it means fewer lavatory stops, the mare will nudge the arm with the drink and then lick up the resultant spill! The old Appy used to eat half coated digestives and drink ginger beer. :) :)

TuscanBunnyGirl

Visit site
when out at a dressage competition we were chilling out with a slice of chocolate cake just before loading and before I knew it my mare had scoffed the entire thing!! She deserved it mind so was finished off with a kiss on the nose.
My other mare loves custard creams

Naturalhorse

Visit site
Has anyone ever left polos in a package near a horse and come back and found packet gone?... Didn't take hercule poirot to find out what happened tothe full packet of polos left near goliath! :)

rascal

Visit site
A horse we had once stole a packet of polos, from my pocket, silver paper and all.
One of the ponies likes a chip, that was his treat when we took him to a show.
Hubbys pony winny was drinking fizzy pop from the bottle.