Hunt coming tomorrow- in our out?

Pc2003

Visit site
Hunt left a card saying they will be very close to yard most of day. Horses usually come in but they have normally been out all night. They are now stabled at night so keeping them in will mean in all day and night. Not what I want or them.
Apparently all at yard are leaving in so will just be my horse and his mate out.
Can’t imagine they would jump out or leave each other and hunt shouldn’t be in our paddock but they will probably go round the outsides etc.
What do others do? My horse does love a good charge about... but I do have lots of nice grass I can open up?

SusieT

Visit site
depends on the fencing - if higih and secure and plenty of space I might leave out. if not or slippy I'd leave in.

hobo

Visit site
Mine always stay out as she is more stressed if kept in but I am around if there was a problem, but she finds a good spot to watch and is fine. So normal routine works for mine.

SEL

Visit site
Given the hunt took down my electric fencing twice last season (despite strong words from YO on first occasion) I wouldn't dare leave out!

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i keep mine in as she is an ex hunter and would probably jump out and join them. i normally ride first thing , put out for a couple of hours and get in before the hunt is in our immediate area as they usually meet about 10.45 so she is not in all day.

ihatework

Visit site
We don't get a choice. When the hunt is around then the horses have to be in by 10ish for the rest of the day. Would be fine if it were once or twice a season, but round here it seems to average once a fortnight. Quite tiresome really but hey ho.

Ceriann

Visit site
Two have got used to the hunt and appear to take it in their stride but with my third added to the herd they were more stressed after the last hunt day. So will be in from now on.

Kat

Visit site
It is the only time mine misses a days turn out. I would be far too concerned that she would try to jump out and go with them! I make sure she gets a couple of leg stretches in the school and some ridden exercise though.

Last edited:

Nudibranch

Visit site
Mine stay out as they have never hunted and just stand and watch quietly. If I thought they'd charge about, or had restricted grazing, they'd come in. Just as well since we rarely find out when any of the various hunts are nearby.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
We don't get a choice. When the hunt is around then the horses have to be in by 10ish for the rest of the day. Would be fine if it were once or twice a season, but round here it seems to average once a fortnight. Quite tiresome really but hey ho.

same here. a yard up the road is a favourite meet so they are around all the time, they have visiting packs too now and then and the other day I'm pretty sure we heard the bloodhounds over the valley so we are well surrounded :rolleyes:

Kira would be OK out but Millie gets herself in a white lather in the stable as it is..

Finlib

Visit site
The hunt card generally gives a meet time usually 11am I put ours out after feeding them them fetch them in about 10:30 as followers start arriving from then .Generally they are finished by 3:30 so they go out again then to stretch their legs.
Ours are at home so only our 4 to deal with but wouldnt want them tearing about trashing the field much easier to have them in.

GoldenWillow

Visit site
I keep in as the hunt has been through our field twice despite it being in the middle of 4 fields that they do not have permission to go through.

Fiona

Visit site
I would always vote in, after a couple of scary experiences where our horses broke or jumped fencing/gate and ended up injured and/or 3 miles up the road.

Fiona

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I will keep mine in as I am on a fairly quiet lane and the hunt tend to hammer it along the road sometimes they will come back and forth several times and my horses find it highly exciting and turn themselves inside out, I just worry they will injure themselves unnecessarily so they are safer in there stables its only one day.

Steerpike

Visit site
I kept mine in yesterday as the local hunt were in the area, glad I did as the hunt did second horses at the farm only asking the farmer that morning.