Hunting with a difference!

Jesstickle

Visit site
Yet again I am shocked by the odd reaction of HHO.

It isn't pretty and there maybe a few little issues with tack but honesty. It's hardly the worst thing in the world is it?

I bet it's more fun for the horses than going round and round in endless circles in the school with some twonk sawing at it's mouth with a crank noseband done up so tight it's cheeks are bulging. And yet that would go unnoticed on here pretty much.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Jess if we weren't already married, I would propose to you here and now :p

"I bet it's more fun for the horses than going round and round in endless circles in the school with some twonk sawing at it's mouth with a crank noseband done up so tight it's cheeks are bulging. And yet that would go unnoticed on here pretty much. "

T_K

Visit site

Not saying this in a confrontational way, and I have had horses for 28 years so understand about facial expressions etc but could you explain what makes you think the ponies in those pics are looking keen? Just curious.

Fits

Visit site
Would I want to go out with them? No.

Should they have attempted that bank in that wet... No I dont think so.

But the reaction on here and on facebook is WAY OTT. Some of the riding is bad, yes, but some of the comments are compleltely unwarranted. And people's attire on a xc ride on a wet day is a poor indication of a horse's welfare.

ArcticIce

Visit site
I wouldn't personally hunt with a pack like that and yes, not all of it's 'pretty' but I am more :rolleyes: at the attitude on here re turnout.

How shallow - no wonder hunting people are constantly fighting public perception of being stuck-up, holier-than-thou, elitist horrors.

I also imagine, even with perfectly fitted tack and outstanding turnout, that the majority of posters above wouldn't even attempt such country. I wouldn't - even though am sure my horse would probably cross those ditches with aplomb.

I would *prefer* neat and tidy turnout but I would never comment on someone like above. I'm too well bred ;)

Having hunted in Ireland, I can assure you that some packs would give the smartest packs in the UK a run for their money re turn out (AND they don't just jump neat, tidy hunt jumps in their perfect jackets and be-gartered boots!) and AFAIK hunt clubs as pictured are rare.

Jesstickle - you are so right. As long as the tack 'fits' and you look pretty then anything seems to go..

Last edited:

JFTDWS

Visit site
Not saying this in a confrontational way, and I have had horses for 28 years so understand about facial expressions etc but could you explain what makes you think the ponies in those pics are looking keen? Just curious.

Their demeanour seems to me to be relaxed and forward thinking - similar to horses eventing, hunting etc in the UK. I guess looking at photos is very subjective, I've known knowledgable behaviourists of different background bicker over their polar-opposite interpretations of single photographs before, so I wouldn't claim it to be an exact science...

ArcticIce

Visit site
Would I want to go out with them? No.

Should they have attempted that bank in that wet... No I dont think so.

But the reaction on here and on facebook is WAY OTT. Some of the riding is bad, yes, but some of the comments are compleltely unwarranted. And people's attire on a xc ride on a wet day is a poor indication of a horse's welfare.

I wish there was a like button :)

Lady La La

Visit site
Once again, whilst I dont think its the most horrific display of cruelty I've ever seen, no I don't think its a reasonable way to behave and/or treat horses.
For the small handful of well riden correctly tacked up horses on that field, there's a much larger selection of over jockey'd poorly ridden unhappy looking neds.
No, it isnt the end of the world, but the fact is... none of you would ride like that, with tack like that on horses like that, doing that... So whilst you sit there saying its fine, I dont see any of you off hunting with a Nike tracksuit, your reins upside down and your racing saddle half way up your horses neck, your flash noseband over the bit, socking it in the gob over every ditch. That alone must tell you something?
https://www.beta.facebook.com/photo...76109754.83833.165492706814526&type=3&theater
https://www.beta.facebook.com/photo...09754.83833.165492706814526&type=1&permPage=1
https://www.beta.facebook.com/photo...09754.83833.165492706814526&type=1&permPage=1

Whilst it may be for you, its definitely not for me...
Some of the facebook comments on their page however, are was over the top and IMO, uncalled for.

catdragon

Visit site
I am totally disgusted. There is no excuse for this - it's cruel, in fact I want to take a stick to those "riders" - those poor horses.

My Irish cob has missing teeth - apparently she was hunted, she also has an old stifle injury - I am aghast at what she may well have been through before coming to me....

Appalling :(

As for "enjoying it" I suggest you take an extremely heavy ill fitting rucksack and run in deep mud and jump ditches whilst someone holds a bar in your mouth and yanks backwards or comes flying onto your head so you smack into the ground... and as for those low ill fitting nosebands - make sure you half suffocate yourself too so you get the full "fun" experience... rant over

Last edited:

ArcticIce

Visit site
I am totally disgusted. There is no excuse for this - it's cruel, in fact I want to take a stick to those "riders" - those poor horses.

My Irish cob has missing teeth - apparently she was hunted, she also has an old stifle injury - I am aghast at what she may well have been through before coming to me....

Appalling :(

Yes. Because all Irish hunts are exactly like that. :rolleyes:

amandap

Visit site
Just a display of human ego using animals to promote their esteem and social standing in a community. The gathered crowd will no doubt judge who is the best rider. :rolleyes:

I'm sure many Irish hunts are not like this.

New User
Visit site
Jess if we weren't already married, I would propose to you here and now :p

"I bet it's more fun for the horses than going round and round in endless circles in the school with some twonk sawing at it's mouth with a crank noseband done up so tight it's cheeks are bulging. And yet that would go unnoticed on here pretty much. "

so you would like to have your had pushed into the mud with a 9/10 stone man lying on top of it would you ?!

Please get real.

LaurenBay

Visit site
Looks like Facebook have removed the photos.

I had a look at them before being removed and I have to say I was gobsmacked! It's not right :mad: those poor Horses. Looks like a bunch of chavs trying to be the most daring! And for those on here saying, I bet we wouldn't do it as we don't have the guts. Your right! I won't be doing this, not only do I not have the guts, but I care for my Horse and it's my responsibility to keep her safe! I would never put her through this!

ArcticIce

Visit site
I was commenting after seeing THESE pictures... not saying all Irish hunts are the same...

Yet you are horrified that your horse 'may well' have been through similar ? What are the chances ?

I had a quick google - as above, this is not a 'Hunt' ..it's a 'Hunt' club. I know a lot of Irish hunting people and not one that hunts with any organisation as above.

'Mocha' posted a few pages back about how hunting works in Ireland with registered/unregistered packs. And this is clearly not a 'hunt'. It's some sort of dragging affair.

My horse hunted for 10 years in Ireland and while he has a few war wounds from probably tough country I don't immediately think he might have been subjected to some iffy riding over deep, slippery ditches ?

sakura

Visit site

for what it's worth, I saw them all before they were taken down and I agree with you

no excuse for that at all