Hurrah!! They are leaving (sorry, bitofarant)

JillA

Visit site
Those bliddy liveries who came to me last autumn desperate for somewhere to keep their horses after being given notice at their former yard. They were acquaintances and they offered for the husband to do some of the maintenance jobs if I did them a concessionary rate, as had happened at their former place. Guess what? He didn't, and those he did have a bash at were a right pig's ear.
After the nightmare of the daughter riding a really lame pony, and me taking the pony off her, I told them the rent would have to go up to the proper rate, at which point they informed me they were leaving.
Never again - I'll never take liveries or help people in need of somewhere. I paid the druggie son to do some chores for me and even tried to find him work, taught the mother how to improve her riding (for free) and even ferried them various places (people, not horses). They seemed to think they were entitled to a yard share, not merely stabling and grazing, and when it became clear they weren't, they were either not speaking to me or avoiding me - not of my making, their choice. Clearly their former yard didn't relish them taking over either, especially as they know about 1/10th of what they think they know.
But THEY ARE LEAVING THIS WEEKEND!!!!! I get my yard back to enjoy in peace (although I do worry I can't keep an eye on the lame pony) and feel like a huge weight has been lifted.
Feel free to hit me over the head with a heavy object if I ever take liveries again - one less yard for the local horse owning public.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Congrats on the thoughts of having your yard back to yourself.

I no longer take liveries per se, but only do temporary grazing in the summer ONLY (with money paid in advance for a set period & a contract).

This summer have had 2 x traveller ponies in for 10 weeks as they had lost their grazing & wouldn't tether them - they were model liveries in keeping things tidy and poo-picking kept up to date, also had a good mate from this forum come over for a month with her 2 - that worked out well as she was able to hack out every day after work with no roadwork & also look after mine while I was away for 6 nights.

JillA - enjoy your peace :)

Joggi71

Visit site
We did this once too and never again. Lass was a friend of step daughters and was desperate for somewhere to keep her 14.2hh 6yo while he was sold. Pony arrived and then we didn't see her more than once a week for months (usually even less than that). Pony became aggressive as was left for months and unhandled, he was bored rigid. We ended up looking after him with ours I.e. bringing him in and turning him out with ours, mucking out, feeding etc. Eventually one day I was bringing our ponies in with my little kids, and he objected to not being brought in too, so barged through the gate, kicked out and nearly took my head off my shoulders, chaos ensued with ponies loose everywhere (I screamed at my kids to let their ponies go and dive for cover). I was on the phone as soon as order was restored and the pony was duly removed to another yard up the road the next day, where exactly the same pattern of behaviour unfolded again. If someone is desperate to move horses because they are losing their grazing there is usually a good reason.

Pedantic

Visit site
Don't tar all liveries with the same brush thanks, I pay rent same day as invoice given out, pull rake tool round school behind my 4x4, sort fences pull ragwort fix yard tap make cups of tea for others when I have one etc etc, just because these turned out to be ********s, not all of us liveries are, you just need to vet people a bit more carefully, we have a yard full of decent folks, the odd spat happens now and again, but soon gets sorted, but you get that in all places.

But I am glad for your sake that they are going as they sound dreadful, if I was on your yard I would have wanted them gone as well.

Clodagh

Visit site
I too say never again, I had a friends horse here. I rang her one night to say it looked colicky on my last check (about 10 pm) and she said, oh can you keep an eye on it and let me know if anything changes...err...no.
I am very happy for you. Watch what they take when they leave!

DD

Visit site
Hurray! so glad for you. Hope they really do leave this weekend, its Sat tea-time now, have they gone? I know the pain of liveries, wouldn't ever want to do livery again, did make some good life long friends, but the others............nuff said.

pixie

Visit site
I've only had my yard open for 4 years, but I am very picky now about who I have and have no qualms in telling people to sort out their **** or leave. I'd rather have the yard not full than put up with stress-inducing liveries.

As an aside, Pedantic, I would love to have you on my yard if you ever randomly decide to move to North Yorks ;) !

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
We too have said never again to anyone being on livery here after a friend came with her pony, turned into full livery, except mucking out, which led to the mare being "deep littered" on horrendous shavings which rotted the wooden part of the wall. This was for the cost of the keep of the pony! We had thought that she would turn out our four with hers at least one morning a week, but it never happened once in the twelve months the pony was here. We are still friends, but because we kept our mouths firmly shut.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Please don't let this awful experience dissuade you from taking on a livery ever again, not everyone is like this horrible lot you've had.

In nearly 25 years of doing it, we've only had one really horrendous livery TBH in all that time. She went away for the weekend (without telling me and/or giving any contact details) and shut her poor pony in the stable, which went ballistic in there, then Yours Truly had to go in there and feed, water & muck out, not exactly a picnic. Then we had her CRO partner hanging around and smoking everywhere in spite of being asked not to. Fortunately she didn't like the B@llicking I gave her after that incident and took her @rse in her hand after a month and left, taking all the keys to the place with her, I then had to change all the locks which wasn't cheap but I was like OP just glad to be rid.

There ARE some lovely people out there, our current livery is nice to a fault and we've shared some sad, glad & downright fab times together.

I don't know whether your "clients" OP had a contract in place: this helps a lot IMO as it gives something concrete to firm things up with and will give both of you reassurance.

Also, as you've found, there are plenty of people with hard luck stories out there and you have to just harden your heart and be very selective. Better an empty yard than a yard filled with the wrong people, as you know very well.

millikins

Visit site
I would consider livery for a vetted stranger with a contract, but never ever again for a friend. I had to ask last one to leave, friend and pony was fine but I also ended up with her bone idle, lying, know it all teenage daughter and pony as well. Now my daughter's best friend is angling to move in, I don't think she'd be a reliable payer and would create a big falling out if I was right so much easier to say no. People who don't pay full rate don't often value what they've been offered.

Sukistokes2

Visit site
I had one foul livery , horrid girl who left her horse without food and water knowing I would see he got what he needed while she laid in bed . I have also had two liveries who I think of as friends, who were fun and good company. I did their horses , they did mine, we just all mucked in. I still miss them now. I think I would take on another one but I would be more vocal about welfare. It's nice to have someone to ride with :)

DD265

Visit site
I don't for a moment believe that every yard owner/person with space on their land should take on liveries, but it really p****** me off when liveries like some of those mentioned in this thread destroy the opportunities for those of us that truly are good liveries. IMO it's getting harder to find ideal facilities to keep horses and no wonder, when people try to take advantage of somebody else's good nature.

Pedantic

Visit site
I've only had my yard open for 4 years, but I am very picky now about who I have and have no qualms in telling people to sort out their **** or leave. I'd rather have the yard not full than put up with stress-inducing liveries.

As an aside, Pedantic, I would love to have you on my yard if you ever randomly decide to move to North Yorks ;) !

Thanks Pixie :)

LadySam

Visit site
Hallelujah! Very glad for you, JillA. But this:

After the nightmare of the daughter riding a really lame pony, and me taking the pony off her...

You took the pony off her? I know you got lots of advice from welfare orgs on how to deal with them, but I missed the bit where you took the pony off her. What happened?

MissTyc

Visit site
Hurrah and goodbye.

We took in some liveries who'd be given notice by former yard. Came with great references so didn't think much of it. Reference was a lie - former YO was desperate to see the back of them. We got stitched up! They mistreated their ponies, smashed the tack room windows in, tried to burn down the hay store when someone "had a word" about the way they were treating their horses, threatened to turn all our horses out onto the main road. Police involved, enormous padlocks involved. FINALLY we managed to get them to leave. We were honest with new YO but liveries had already spun her a lie about how awful we were ... A few weeks later on Facebook I see new YO asking to help to get rid of troublesome liveries. Argh, what a nightmare family!

Tnavas

Visit site
I fell for a friends sob story when she found her five ponies homeless. I knew they were stuck financially so offered to over winter her ponies, all out, and I had the grazing. The agreement was that her farrier husband trim all mine regularly in return. Over a period of several months they got trimmed once!

I voiced my frustration and got verbally abused by the husband. In the end they found somewhere to live with the ponies and left with my horses feet in a mess.

Never again

Pedantic

Visit site
I fell for a friends sob story when she found her five ponies homeless. I knew they were stuck financially so offered to over winter her ponies, all out, and I had the grazing. The agreement was that her farrier husband trim all mine regularly in return. Over a period of several months they got trimmed once!

I voiced my frustration and got verbally abused by the husband. In the end they found somewhere to live with the ponies and left with my horses feet in a mess.

Never again

How did this country breed so many selfish wastes of skin, it's not like trimming is very time consuming or costly.

Last edited:

Mince Pie

Visit site

Never again

I'm surprised that you didn't call another farrier actually.

arlosmum

Visit site
I will NEVER, EVER have liveries again. The last shower left on Friday. Without paying. At least I've got my (full of *****) paddock back.
Lying, cheating chancers.

hazelnut

Visit site
This thread makes me sad. Shame you're had to put up with bad liveries though and enjoy the freedom. The reason it makes me sad is I have never had any money, help or support. I can't afford a house or field or much of anything. I have to rent a small box flat where the owner doesn't want anyone there really so even though I am a good tenant I'm looked at with disdain. I've given up horses and sold my beloved mare as no one wants liveries as their all 'a pain' and can't do anything right so again am not really wanted. Getting so depressed and giving up with life as can't afford my own and everyone seems to hate renters no matter what you're like. I understand the horrible ones but that's not everyone.

Clodagh

Visit site
I think Hazelnut that if you have good liveries you take it for granted and don't say anything, like good service in a shop, but if you have a bad one it scars you for life. I would like to have liveries but we have decided it just isn't worth the hassle. My friend has a yard and everyone pulls together really well,she had one bitchy so and so who she kicked off and now everoyne rubs along really well.

honetpot

Visit site
The trouble is Hazelnut if its your own home you have someone who is not only treats you home with disrespect, they are in your face all the time. If they are not there you are thinking what is going to happen when they do come, apart from the financial consequences of clearing up when they leave, which can be hundreds of pounds.
Perhaps what you see as distain is someone who trying to keep a professional distance. For years I was at DIY, kept myself to myself and eventually managed to rent a paddock yearly. I have walked miles when I did not drive to DIY, my poor husband who gladly never look at a horse has helped collected hay in bad weather and when I kept the horse at home he went once a week to the tip to get rid of the muck.
I now have a DIY livery which I am still on the fence as to how it will work out, I try to be friendly but everyone seems nice until they start to leave their s**t around and asking favours just because I am there. 'I am away this weekend so can you keep an eye on my horse?' ,well no because when I go away I pay someone to check and do them, and that's not you.
We are on clay so although I have a fair amount of land its ungrazeable in winter unless so they all have to come in. I feel awful when people ask me and I say no but its not worth the aggravation.

Pedantic

Visit site
If I ever ask the YM to do anything for me I "always" offer to pay, it's pretty much always refused with a comment of don't worry you do stuff for us, but I still always offer as I don't do taking the p***s.

When saying you would NEVER take on another livery, try changing the word "livery" to say black people, or say muslim or gay or lesbian etc it's puts a whole new spin on it, funny how some discrimination seems acceptable and some not, if I openly refused to do a job for say a black gay person because the last one I did work for was a nightmare didn't pay etc, the PC brigade would be all over me like a rash.

JillA

Visit site
And unrealistic expectations about what you have to pay (we have done all this recently). With land at up to £15k per acre that means to rent an acre at 6% would cost £17 per week. That's without stable, fencing maintenance, land maintenance, muck removal, water rates, electricity.................and that's all for DIY. My time isn't factored in but you can't really just leave people to it, especially if they are like those who are moving today, think they know far more than they actually do.
As regards taking the pony off the (adult with personality/mental problems) daughter, it was an ongoing situation. Field lame pony with an acutely arthritic knee with osteo growths around the tendon sheath, shown on x rays, who they told me the vet had agreed should be ridden. I couldn't see it given how lame she was (resting fore foot constantly) so I asked vet to confirm, which he denied and said he would contact them to clarify. Next time she pulled her out, tacked up to ride in the school I told her she couldn't but she ignored me so I caught hold of the pony and eventually made her put it back in the stable and remove the tack. She had a very unpleasant temper tantrum so she was barred from the yard (as she had been at a previous yard). They should never have put e I that position, the only alternative was to involve one of the welfare societies but that would have meant let them ride a crippled mare. Then, instead of discussing it with me, mother went into sulk/not speaking mode, which you do not do with the person you rent facilities off.
Outright cruelty such as that (I spoke to BHS Welfare prior to that who said ignoring vets advice was a serious matter) is not allowed on my property under any circumstances. But still they lied and said it was under vets instructions.

arlosmum

Visit site
If I ever ask the YM to do anything for me I "always" offer to pay, it's pretty much always refused with a comment of don't worry you do stuff for us, but I still always offer as I don't do taking the p***s.

When saying you would NEVER take on another livery, try changing the word "livery" to say black people, or say muslim or gay or lesbian etc it's puts a whole new spin on it, funny how some discrimination seems acceptable and some not, if I openly refused to do a job for say a black gay person because the last one I did work for was a nightmare didn't pay etc, the PC brigade would be all over me like a rash.

Pedantic, I like reading your posts, you talk a lot of sense as a rule. However, I can't understand your logic at all, here.
I don't offer livery, I don't run a livery yard, I helped out some people who said they had nowhere to keep their horses.
I didn't get a red cent in return. Despite promises to pay.
Who am I discriminating against?
The miscreants did, actually, fall into one of the categories described, but that didn't have any bearing on their refusal to pay, I'm sure.

Last edited: