I’ve Found Sarcoids on Dex, What Do I Do?

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Dex arrived with a lump on his muzzle, I gave it the benefit of the doubt as it could have been a fly bite, a bump or a rub etc but it’s not changed. He’s just about okay with me fiddling with his back legs now so I had a good feel and I have found another flat lesion on the inside of his hind. Jacob had sarcoids of every type everywhere so I am 99% sure these are sarcoids. The vet who came to do his jabs verbally agreed but couldn’t get a feel as Dex wasn’t happy.

What do I do from here? Having had a horse covered in them and knowing the constant worry they bring I am absolutely gutted.

I have a copy of the vetting stating no lumps or bumps and I have screenshots of all communication and the original advert.

D09C7CDD-1891-4B0A-9655-AA5068828D01.jpeg
0D9D71FA-C7EF-49C9-B92C-667BE24A6EFA.jpeg

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I'm so sorry you've had this shadow cast over your new boy 😨.

The problem is that sarcoids really can appear overnight and I doubt you have any way of proving these were there when he was vetted. He's young. They're two singles , you're not looking to sell him any time soon and if they have to be removed they are both in reasonably good places to do that. They also won't be too problematic for tack.

I think you've really only got one option, sadly, which is to hold your nerve, try to value what a lovely boy he is and hope that his immune system gets onto them pronto. Sarcex or similar supplements can't hurt but I wouldn't put anything on them topically at this stage.

live2ride

Visit site
my gelding has had a number of sarcoids lasered off over the years, almost 1/2 popped up a year every year .

But last year having just paid to have 2 lasered off.. and numerous other vet bills, he had another start to pop up, so on the off chance it would work I put him on this; (double dose)

May have been coincidence but the sarcoid dropped off.. and none have reappeared

Lady Jane

Visit site
The first thing is to consult your vet as without a vet's opinion you can't do anything. Ask his advice on how to proceed and if he sees any recourse you may have. If you vet couldn't touch him you then wonder if the vet who did the vetting was able to check him over properly?

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Thanks all. I was looking really for advice on whether to raise with the seller etc than for treatment, I sadly have extensive experience with sarcoids so am familiar with treatment.

I have two photos, albeit unclear showing a slight mark on his muzzle, one from the advert (top) and one the day he arrived (second). But you have to really be looking for it and I’m not sure it would be enough to prove anything.

4972F1D0-A0DB-4385-9622-BAEA5131CA02.jpeg

038775F3-D7CD-48E4-B5AD-235958021495.jpeg

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
The first thing is to consult your vet as without a vet's opinion you can't do anything. Ask his advice on how to proceed and if he sees any recourse you may have. If you vet couldn't touch him you then wonder if the vet who did the vetting was able to check him over properly?

I would put it down to being unsettled rather than anything, seller said he was stabled, hosed, rugged, handled well and picked up feet with him

spacefaer

Visit site
Sarcoids are quite often a response to stress, particularly with young horses, so with moving from home to a dealer's yard and then onto yours in a comparatively short timeframe , it wouldn't be a huge surprise that a couple may have popped up.
I'd give him something to support his immune system but otherwise leave them alone. We've seen this a lot, bringing young Irish horses over, and quite often they will spontaneously regress as the horse matures and his immune system strengthens.

stangs

Visit site
I wouldn't bother raising it with the seller tbh. There's no way you can prove that he developed them pre-vetting, and presumably you're not going to send him back. Even in the highly unlikely case that you convince the seller to give you some money back, it's not worth the aggro and energy imo.

maya2008

Visit site
Sarcoids are quite often a response to stress, particularly with young horses, so with moving from home to a dealer's yard and then onto yours in a comparatively short timeframe , it wouldn't be a huge surprise that a couple may have popped up.
I'd give him something to support his immune system but otherwise leave them alone. We've seen this a lot, bringing young Irish horses over, and quite often they will spontaneously regress as the horse matures and his immune system strengthens.

I was just writing that the journey/new home could easily have made them pop up… someone on here had a horse that popped one every time they went to a competition I think, when the horse was young.

scats

Visit site
If it’s any consolation, Polly had something very similar to that picked up at vetting as a sarcoid on the inside of her hind leg (they gave it a specific name- a type of flat sarcoid or something) Within 2 months it had disappeared so I have no idea what it actually was but vet was adamant it was one.

Last edited:

SEL

Visit site
My vet spotted what they described as "hopefully a juvenile wart" (they used posher language in the written report but that was the verbal feed back). He actually threw out quite a few more after I bought him so I did have a aaarrrgh moment but I couldn't find any this morning so I think it can be young horse stressy immune system issue.

Been with me a year now and although I thought he settled quickly when he got here he's a different pony now. No more baby mouthing at the mares, cocky little monster instead.

I doubt you'll have any come back on the seller or vet sadly. He's a lovely horse and hopefully it's as temporary as the ones I had on baby cob. At least if it wasn't on the vetting report your insurance won't exclude them

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
It did occur to me that it may have been the stress of the journey that prompted their appearance, and in the interest of fairness the vet wouldn't have found the one on his thigh as you can't get hands up in his thighs if he's a youngster who had very little handling. I don't know what I was expecting anyone on here to say to be honest, I think it was just the shock and gutting feeling of it all.

If it’s any consolation, Polly had something very similar to that picked up at vetting as a sarcoid on the inside of her hind leg (they gave it a specific name- a type of flat sarcoid or something) Within 2 months it had disappeared so I have no idea what it actually was but vet was adamant it was one.
Thank you for this, I really hope this is the case. I'll pick up some broad herbs as posted up thread and hope for the best.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Dex arrived with a lump on his muzzle, I gave it the benefit of the doubt as it could have been a fly bite, a bump or a rub etc but it’s not changed. He’s just about okay with me fiddling with his back legs now so I had a good feel and I have found another flat lesion on the inside of his hind. Jacob had sarcoids of every type everywhere so I am 99% sure these are sarcoids. The vet who came to do his jabs verbally agreed but couldn’t get a feel as Dex wasn’t happy.

What do I do from here? Having had a horse covered in them and knowing the constant worry they bring I am absolutely gutted.

I have a copy of the vetting stating no lumps or bumps and I have screenshots of all communication and the original advert.

View attachment 114397
View attachment 114398
I would contact your vet. My late mare developed them after purchase and so did this mare, vet dealt with them and all gone.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Sarcoids often appear on a change of home it’s stress .
Just like cold sores in humans stress triggers them .

you need to get the your vet to take a look.

meleeka

Visit site
I’m sorry you have this to worry about when you were so happy with him. I don’t think you could prove anything to the seller tbh so would do as ycbm suggests and just wait. My mare got two that went as quickly as they came so they can do that. I already had one with sarcoids so there’s a possibility that’s why she got them, but her immune system was obviously better and they spontaneously disappeared after a month or so.

Lamehorses

Visit site
At least you have a vet report saying no lumps or bumps. Assuming you are 14 days post insurance starting, then any treatment is covered for this year- might be worth delaying vet intervention a bit to ensure cover

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
ASBMO's vet has already noted the lumps, so as far as insurance goes the clock is already ticking.

But hopefully this is just a blip caused by the stress of a young horse being in the dealer's yard and then being transported to England. It could well be that there was nothing much to see at the vetting in Ireland, so any come back on that vet would be difficult.

Try not to worry, but like others I'd look to supplement his feed with some herbal support to boost his immune system, Sarc-Ex wouldn't do any harm. It didn't work for mine, but putting her on the Equibiome oily herb herb protocol two years ago did - it's knocked her sarcoids right back.

Good luck, he's a lovely chap.

SEL

Visit site
It did occur to me that it may have been the stress of the journey that prompted their appearance, and in the interest of fairness the vet wouldn't have found the one on his thigh as you can't get hands up in his thighs if he's a youngster who had very little handling. I don't know what I was expecting anyone on here to say to be honest, I think it was just the shock and gutting feeling of it all.

Thank you for this, I really hope this is the case. I'll pick up some broad herbs as posted up thread and hope for the best.
I totally get the shock of finding something wrong - my freebie mares I took problems on the chin but I got the boy vetted & still issues popped up pretty much when he got here

Hopefully this is just a stress reaction and it doesn't take the shine off too much xx

Trouper

Visit site
I agree with the majority on here - I don't think you would get very far trying to prove they were pre-purchase. And would you really want to send him back?? I've only read about him on here and seen his photo and already I'm invested;););)!!!

When my grey came out in lumps and bumps shortly after arriving (not sarcoids) I went down the usual vet route but also had a fascinating conversation with the chaps at Trinity Consultants who explained all about the different bacteria etc that horses meet in their pasture when moving areas and how it can affect them. He has had a huge upheaval for a young horse and, although he may seem to be calmly accepting everything, his system is telling you a different story. You obviously have lots of experience with sarcoids but a conversation with Trinity might give you another perspective on how to boost his immune system - which as a youngster is still developing.

Try not to panic. We're all rooting for you - and him!!

GreyDot

Visit site
SarcEx from Global Herbs will do no harm - could well be an immune response to stress. Mine had two on his sheath, which have dropped off completely (he's on SarcEx). Just keep an eye on them for now and take photos. Mine took about 10 months to go, a vet did look at them.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Thanks all, I’m going to leave them be for the time being and feed some herbs of some sort. Im not keen on putting anything on them topically just yet.

He’s kicked me this morning too, right on the side of the knee as I am currently trying to get to the point where I can pick his back legs up.. so not the best couple of days for us. It can’t all go smoothly I suppose